NV Cockburn Special Reserve

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

NV Cockburn Special Reserve

Post by jdaw1 »

jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: NV Cockburn’s Special Reserve

Post by jdaw1 »

CkSR: opened the previous Thursday. One or two glasses had been poured from the bottle, which was then resealed. So not really ‘decanted’, but it had received some air. Bright bright red, 80% opaque. Nosing strongly of strawberries, with some raspberries behind. Lots of heat mid-palate; more heat late-palate. Sweet early; dry late. Very acceptable drinking.

The former reputation is no longer deserved.
[url=http://www.theportforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=30346#p30346]Here[/url], in October 2009, RonnieRoots wrote:In a previous life, when I didn't have to savour any drinkable drop of port, I used bottles that had been open for a long time. Now I buy Cockburn Special Reserve for cooking.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Bright red. Strawberry nose. Sweet entry, slightly bitter and dry in the finish but perfectly acceptable port.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

You are right Julian, I tasted the new blend too recently and it is a very decent Port. The Symington's really did a good job with it.