Thu 22 March 2012, The Bung Hole, JDAW’s oddments

What happened?
Post Reply

User avatar
jdaw1
Taylor 1900
Posts: 19292
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Thu 22 March 2012, The Bung Hole, JDAW’s oddments

Post by jdaw1 » 22:35 Wed 21 Mar 2012

As can be seen from the receipts, some of these bottles weren’t very expensive.
Image

Image

User avatar
Cookie
Warre’s Traditional LBV
Posts: 331
Joined: 15:53 Thu 13 Dec 2007
Location: Near Uncle Tom

Re: Thu 22 March 2012, The Bung Hole, JDAW’s oddments

Post by Cookie » 08:22 Fri 23 Mar 2012

My wine of the night, without doubt, was the Niepoort '94...hope you had a good one...sorry I couldn't stay :(
God may have made water...but man made wine. - Victor Hugo

User avatar
AHB
Fonseca 1970
Posts: 10656
Joined: 13:41 Mon 25 Jun 2007
Location: Berkshire, UK

Re: Thu 22 March 2012, The Bung Hole, JDAW’s oddments

Post by AHB » 17:38 Mon 26 Mar 2012

There were some wines on Thursday that I really hope I don't encounter ever again - most of these tasted of plastic and artificial sweetner and needed to be chilled / drowned in tonic so as to hide the flavour of the port.

However, I was also pleasantly surprised by the Rozes Reserve in its squat and bright pink bottle - that wasn't bad.

But my wine of hte night was the Dow 1965 colheita, the Feist 1967 colheita and the Neipoort 1994 - not what I would have predicted. Colheitas in first and second place for wotn in a mixed colheita / vintage port tasting :shock: :shock: :shock:
Top Port in 2017 (so far): Taylor 2010 LBV
2016 Port of the year: Cockburn 1908

Glenn E.
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994
Posts: 3246
Joined: 22:27 Wed 09 Jul 2008
Location: Seattle, WA, USA

Re: Thu 22 March 2012, The Bung Hole, JDAW’s oddments

Post by Glenn E. » 18:25 Mon 26 Mar 2012

AHB wrote:But my wine of hte night was the Dow 1965 colheita, the Feist 1967 colheita and the Neipoort 1994 - not what I would have predicted. Colheitas in first and second place for wotn in a mixed colheita / vintage port tasting :shock: :shock: :shock:
Welcome to the dark side. 88) :twisted:
Glenn Elliott

User avatar
jdaw1
Taylor 1900
Posts: 19292
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Thu 22 March 2012, The Bung Hole, JDAW’s oddments

Post by jdaw1 » 20:50 Mon 26 Mar 2012

AHB wrote:There were some wines on Thursday that I really hope I don't encounter ever again - most of these tasted of plastic and artificial sweetner and needed to be chilled / drowned in tonic so as to hide the flavour of the port.
Agreed. An experiment expected to have a low hit rate, and it met expectations.

User avatar
jdaw1
Taylor 1900
Posts: 19292
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Thu 22 March 2012, The Bung Hole, JDAW’s oddments

Post by jdaw1 » 21:40 Mon 26 Mar 2012

Image
Image

User avatar
jdaw1
Taylor 1900
Posts: 19292
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Thu 22 March 2012, The Bung Hole, JDAW’s oddments

Post by jdaw1 » 21:40 Mon 26 Mar 2012

Image

User avatar
AHB
Fonseca 1970
Posts: 10656
Joined: 13:41 Mon 25 Jun 2007
Location: Berkshire, UK

Re: Thu 22 March 2012, The Bung Hole, JDAW’s oddments

Post by AHB » 22:51 Mon 26 Mar 2012

jdaw1 wrote:
AHB wrote:There were some wines on Thursday that I really hope I don't encounter ever again - most of these tasted of plastic and artificial sweetner and needed to be chilled / drowned in tonic so as to hide the flavour of the port.
Agreed. An experiment expected to have a low hit rate, and it met expectations.
The moral of the tasting was, "Beware Frenchmen bearing gifts of port."
Top Port in 2017 (so far): Taylor 2010 LBV
2016 Port of the year: Cockburn 1908

User avatar
AHB
Fonseca 1970
Posts: 10656
Joined: 13:41 Mon 25 Jun 2007
Location: Berkshire, UK

Re: Thu 22 March 2012, The Bung Hole, JDAW’s oddments

Post by AHB » 16:12 Tue 27 Mar 2012

I typed up my tasting notes last night and can't believe the number of firsts that I achieved at this offline, other than the obvious:

Obvious
First (and hopefully only) tasting of horrible French white and tawny ports from Santelmo, Cruz and Rozes

Surprising
Oldest Passadouro ports - my oldest before last week was the 1997.
First time trying the Niepoort 1994.
First time trying the Feist 1967 colheita (the only other port from Feist I have ever drunk being the 1937 colheita)
First Dow colheita
Top Port in 2017 (so far): Taylor 2010 LBV
2016 Port of the year: Cockburn 1908

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests