2004 Noon Solaire

Anything but Port, this includes all wines other than fortified wines (which have their own section) even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
Forum rules
Anything but Port, this includes all non-Port fortified wines even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

2004 Noon Solaire

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

16.5% alcohol. Australian grenache fermented dry. Nosing slightly like a tawny, slightly like a Madeira - and then I realised it smelt just like a mature Maury. Dry palate presence, full of dried fruit and green wood. Thin textured (but it did follow on from the Quevedo 2011!) on the first mouthful but a second mouthful showed better complexity. The aftertaste was long and lingering with a bitter citrus core.

Being a comitted port drinker and therefore enjoying residual sugar in my drinks, this was not a wine that I particularly enjoyed.
Last edited by Alex Bridgeman on 11:59 Sun 23 Jun 2013, edited 1 time in total.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
RAYC
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Re: 2004 Noon Solaire

Post by RAYC »

Now this was really interesting. Very intriguing nose that did not show like a dry wine at all. Then a fabulous sweet-sour contrast as you move to tasting. Hid its high alcohol content well. Challenging. Certainly a very individual wine that caught my attention. Very hard to give a score - changed my mind about 5 times before giving up!
Rob C.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: 2004 Noon Solaire

Post by jdaw1 »

Lovely red, 40% opaque. Nose ‟not quite port”. Taste smoke, bacon, not sweet. Good wine, falling between the fortified and non-fortified stools.