When is a Vintage Announced

Anything to do with Port.
Conky
Fonseca 1980

When is a Vintage Announced

Post by Conky »

Further to the thread on how the Harvest went, isn't it around November, when the Port Industry declares (Or doesn't)? I presume they are close to a decision on 2005?
Does anyone have any insights into the procedure? Or is it clouded in secrecy, and you just get a short annoucement?

Alan
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Alan,

I think it is April that the shippers declare. The 2005s are already declared.

I think the timing is probably down to allowing them to do what they need to do with blending and bottling their VP before the next growing season gets into full swing.

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

St George’s day, I thought.

Post by jdaw1 »

St George’s day, I thought.
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Derek,

Well there's something I didn't know. So they declare around 18 months after making it? You so often hear the phrase about declaring 2 years after, I thought that would be roughly correct. So its actually a case of make it in the Autumn of one year, and decare in the spring 18 months later.
I seem to remember 2005 now you mention it. Wasn't it generally a Non Declaration?

Alan
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Alan,

Yes, 2 years is a very loose term in the world of VP. I think the rule is that it has to be bottled between 1 and 3 years after the harvest.

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
ajfeather
Fonseca LBV

Post by ajfeather »

not widely declared some of those who did:

Fonseca Guimaraens
Kopke
Nieport
Pintas
Q. d Senhora da Ribeira
Q. d Vargellas
Q. d Roriz
Q. d Crasto
Q. d Panascal
Q. d Passadouro
Q. d Vale D. Maria
Q. d Vesuvio
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

ajfeather,

Isn't the Fonseca Guimaraens and the Taylors Vargellas a bit of an anomoly, in that they are secondary year Ports?

But Kopke and Niepoort had full declarations? I worry a little that Niepoort are investing and diversifying in that many directions, they may becoming trigger happy, in the pusuit of trade.

Alan
Last edited by Conky on 00:45 Tue 30 Oct 2007, edited 1 time in total.
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

Even single quinta 'interim' ports get declared - it's the wine that gets declared, not the vintage, but if all the big players pile in, and in particular, the big name blends, the year becomes known as a 'declared' year - and they hold a little ceremony to that effect!

If the big names can't agree which of two adjacent years they should declare, then it becomes known as a 'split declaration' or 'split vintage' - 91/2 being the last example.

I have a hunch that '05 will be a bit like '87 - an opportunity for a general declaration that the shippers might later regret, but it's early days - we shall see..

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
Frederick Blais
Taylor’s LBV

Post by Frederick Blais »

Conky wrote:ajfeather,

I worry a little that Niepoort are investing and diversifying in that many directions, they may becoming trigger happy, in the pusuit of trade.

Alan
Alan, don't worry about Niepoort, their 2005 is the big step in quality any Port producer would like to achieve. I've tasted more than a dozen 2005 so far and none come close. Dirk and Nick are very picky on quality. Of course it is not like they had to declare 10 000 cases of very good quality each year, it is much easier to producer great stuff when you work on small quantities, still they must do it.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

Derek, I think you hit the wrong key by mistake, happens when you're stretching one bottle over 4 days ;) They're bottled between the second and third year after harvest.
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

So they declare 18 months after Harvest. They then prepare, or whatever they do, before bottling between the 2nd and 3rd year of existance.

Right. Unless someone tells me I've misunderstood, I'm going to put that in the little grey cells.

Alan :D
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

Talking in round years will confuse Alan!

Vintage port samples must be sent for approval by the IVDP between Jan 1st and Sep 30th of the 2nd year following harvest - i.e. 2007 for the 2005 vintage.

Once approval has been obtained, the wines may then be bottled at any time up until July 30th of the third year - 2008 in this case.

In practice, they are mostly bottled between February and May of the second year. The producers tend to avoid bottling in high summer if they can.

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

So, assuming the harvest is completed in October, the youngest point that a wine can be declared as VP is 14 months and the oldest that it can be bottled is 33 months.

Not a million miles away from "between 1 and 3 years old" - is it, Andy? :P

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

No just a 1/2 million away :twisted: :lol:

Nothing is 100% absolute in the Port world, as I've come to find.
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Andy,

Quite right. Just remember Guiness and The Liffey, when it comes to admitting mistakes. :D

Alan
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

Conky wrote:Andy,

Quite right. Just remember Guiness and The Liffey, when it comes to admitting mistakes. :D

Alan
:lol: :lol: :lol: 2 years is down river from 1 year :P