Most evolved halves - G90 or W87 ?

Anything to do with Port.
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

I'm planning to pull some half-bottles from storage imminently; Has anyone tried both the GM90 and WC87 half-bottles recently, and if so which was the most evolved?
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: Most evolved halves - G90 or W87 ?

Post by jdaw1 »

About two years some late-1980s Symington halves were pulled from storage, and some — especially Dow IIRC — were significantly over-evolved.

So consider getting both.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

I wonder what you'd think about Warre 00 halves that are also in storage? Not sure how long they should be left. I was told when purchasing that they were 'drinking beautifully now'.
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
RAYC
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by RAYC »

If at seckfords, they may well allow you to do a 6 + 6 split (I have a number of 3-bottle cases in storage there, so it is a volume they recognise).

Have not had Cavadinha 87, but re-reading my old note on a half bottle of GM90 from June 2013 (which is likely to be from the same Symington shipment as yours), I think ready but not going anywhere in a hurry. http://www.theportforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=58247
Rob C.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

I find most WC to be a quite faster evolving, at least for the 80's and early 90's, than other SQVP's. Not sure why but it has been my experience with 750's. I can imagine that would be accelerated in smaller formats.
PopulusTremula
Warre’s Traditional LBV

Post by PopulusTremula »

Don't most storage facilities offer single bottle withdrawals nowadays?

If you can't pick and mix, then do what Julian suggested and get both out in their entirety.
RAYC
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by RAYC »

PopulusTremula wrote:Don't most storage facilities offer single bottle withdrawals nowadays?
Possibly, but Seckfords seem to avoid holding bottles that are not part of a 9l case / half case unit (unless shipped in bond eg: as a 3-pack / single bottle / large format) - i seem to recall this was something to do with their bonded and non-bonded storage not being segregated.

I'm hadn't thought BBR do single bottles from storage either (unless purchased as single bottles), though I've never had cause to look at their T&Cs closely on this.
PopulusTremula wrote:If you can't pick and mix, then do what Julian suggested and get both out in their entirety.

I often take mix and match 6-packs from 12 bottle cases - i find it helps immensely with storage at home versus taking the whole lot out. I think you may still need to pay duty / VAT on the full case though (so you can't stagger your payments!)
Rob C.
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

6+6 is a good suggestion, I had not considered that option; 12+12 would be pushing my currently available storage at home. I was hoping someone may have tried both, in case one was far more evolved than the other; perhaps not, in which case I will consider 6+6 or decide on a whim! (or more likely select the older first, as some vague logic on likely evolution without other evidence).
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

If these are from the stock that I am familiar with I would suggest you withdraw every half bottle you have and drink them up.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

DRT wrote:If these are from the stock that I am familiar with I would suggest you withdraw every half bottle you have and drink them up.
It is that stock, and I will be drinking them; I do not have enough room to withdraw all at once right now, so was intending to withdraw the most evolved first of the two, if known. It sounds like no one has noticed a significant difference between these two, just nothing that they are all well-evolved.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

PhilW wrote:
DRT wrote:If these are from the stock that I am familiar with I would suggest you withdraw every half bottle you have and drink them up.
It is that stock, and I will be drinking them; I do not have enough room to withdraw all at once right now, so was intending to withdraw the most evolved first of the two, if known. It sounds like no one has noticed a significant difference between these two, just nothing that they are all well-evolved.
Don’t worry about the clutter. Half bottles can evaporate quickly.

Indeed, more quickly than that. You might find yourself opening one, placing it in the ‘cooking’ department, and opening another.
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

jdaw1 wrote:You might find yourself opening one, placing it in the ‘cooking’ department, and opening another.
That over evolved? I was intending these to be higher-quality-than-usual cellar-defenders.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

PhilW wrote:
jdaw1 wrote:You might find yourself opening one, placing it in the ‘cooking’ department, and opening another.
That over evolved? I was intending these to be higher-quality-than-usual cellar-defenders.
Derek collected some Ports from me soon after. I managed to smuggle some halves into his boxes of other things (not removing the good goodies in those boxes). So yes, that over evolved.