Hexagonal Thing

Talk about anything but keep it polite and reasonably clean.
Post Reply
User avatar
jdaw1
Taylor 1900
Posts: 19632
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Hexagonal Thing

Post by jdaw1 » 23:06 Thu 26 Feb 2015

Hexagonal Thing is a game invented by JDAW in 1986, with the intention of capturing some of the features of chess and of monopoly, but with more of the prices being determined by auction. Over the decades the game has been shown in confidence to some smart people who like games, but until today never published. It is now available via jdawiseman.com/hexagonal_thing.html.

Comment from game aficionados would be welcomed.
Image

User avatar
DRT
Graham’s 1948
Posts: 14977
Joined: 23:51 Wed 20 Jun 2007
Location: Chesterfield, UK
Contact:

Re: Hexagonal Thing

Post by DRT » 00:20 Fri 27 Feb 2015

Intriguing. My wife and step-son are board game fans. I will invite them to try this and report back.

Does this have a drinking game variant where "Things" = "Shots"? (which must be drained by the party gaining advantage each time they are bought or sold)
"The first duty of Port is to be red"

Ernest H. Cockburn

User avatar
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970
Posts: 8153
Joined: 20:01 Mon 31 Dec 2012
Location: Belfast
Contact:

Re: Hexagonal Thing

Post by djewesbury » 00:40 Fri 27 Feb 2015

I have forwarded this to my friend Richard (some of you have met him), who is also a game aficionado.
Daniel J.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...

User avatar
jdaw1
Taylor 1900
Posts: 19632
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Hexagonal Thing

Post by jdaw1 » 00:45 Fri 27 Feb 2015

DRT wrote:Intriguing. My wife and step-son are board game fans. I will invite them to try this and report back.
I believe it to be an excellent game. Parts I understand. But the auctions are deeply confusing to me: I have little idea how high or low to bid.
DRT wrote:Does this have a drinking game variant where "Things" = "Shots"? (which must be drained by the party gaining advantage each time they are bought or sold)
Not really. Decant enough for two people; two people play and drink socially.
djewesbury wrote:I have forwarded this to my friend Richard (some of you have met him), who is also a game aficionado.
Thank you.

User avatar
DRT
Graham’s 1948
Posts: 14977
Joined: 23:51 Wed 20 Jun 2007
Location: Chesterfield, UK
Contact:

Re: Hexagonal Thing

Post by DRT » 00:50 Fri 27 Feb 2015

jdaw1 wrote:
DRT wrote:Does this have a drinking game variant where "Things" = "Shots"? (which must be drained by the party gaining advantage each time they are bought or sold)
Not really. Decant enough for two people
That sounds about right for someone playing a 16 year old mathematician who can't drink.

Is there any way you could produce the A3 PDF as 2 x A4 that can be taped together? Most home users (including me) will have no access to A3 printing.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"

Ernest H. Cockburn

User avatar
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970
Posts: 8153
Joined: 20:01 Mon 31 Dec 2012
Location: Belfast
Contact:

Re: Hexagonal Thing

Post by djewesbury » 01:09 Fri 27 Feb 2015

You just switch on the tiling option on your printer. Or similar. It'll split the PDF into sections without scaling and print them.
Daniel J.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...

User avatar
flash_uk
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987
Posts: 2359
Joined: 20:02 Thu 13 Feb 2014
Location: London

Re: Hexagonal Thing

Post by flash_uk » 01:16 Fri 27 Feb 2015

jdaw1 wrote:Parts I understand. But the auctions are deeply confusing to me: I have little idea how high or low to bid.
Didn't you invent the game?

User avatar
jdaw1
Taylor 1900
Posts: 19632
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Hexagonal Thing

Post by jdaw1 » 09:12 Fri 27 Feb 2015

DRT wrote:Is there any way you could produce the A3 PDF as 2 x A4 that can be taped together? Most home users (including me) will have no access to A3 printing.
Shrink it to A4. It’ll be a mite smaller than comfortable, but needs must.
flash_uk wrote:Didn't you invent the game?
Yes. Which doesn’t necessarily mean that I’d be great at playing it.

Glenn E.
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994
Posts: 3330
Joined: 22:27 Wed 09 Jul 2008
Location: Seattle, WA, USA

Re: Hexagonal Thing

Post by Glenn E. » 19:32 Fri 27 Feb 2015

jdaw1 wrote:
flash_uk wrote:Didn't you invent the game?
Yes. Which doesn’t necessarily mean that I’d be great at playing it.
This is a common situation amongst game designers. I know many.
Glenn Elliott

User avatar
jdaw1
Taylor 1900
Posts: 19632
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Hexagonal Thing

Post by jdaw1 » 15:43 Wed 04 Mar 2015


User avatar
jdaw1
Taylor 1900
Posts: 19632
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Hexagonal Thing

Post by jdaw1 » 00:42 Tue 07 Jul 2015

DRT wrote:My wife and step-son are board game fans. I will invite them to try this and report back.
?

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests