Taylor’s Kingsman Edition Very Old Tawny

Anything to do with Port.
Doggett
Morgan 1991

Taylor’s Kingsman Edition Very Old Tawny

Post by Doggett »

Just 700 bottles of this. I am a sucker for good packaging and this looks quite impressive. I hope the port is as lovey, I further hope that I get to taste it and have a forlorn hope of getting one.

https://www.taylor.pt/en/port-wine/kingsman-edition
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: Taylor’s Kingsman Edition Very Old Tawny

Post by JacobH »

I hope anyone who buys one doesn’t use that glass for drinking it!

Whilst I love inappropriate glasses; I don’t think I’d use that one on anything more precious than a 10-year-old-tawny...
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

This looks really nice, but in classic Taylor fashion I expect it to be horribly overpriced for a 500ml bottle. Has anyone see a price yet?
Glenn Elliott
slateshalehead
Fonseca Bin 27

Post by slateshalehead »

Interestingly enough, I first heard about this not through Taylor Fladgate's social media channels, but from a cinephile friend's posting. I personally haven't seen this kind of a partnership before, and I think it is an interesting way for a port house to try to reach younger demographics. It almost reminds me of Diageo's partnership with Game of Thrones for branding on their scotches. I hope that, if this kind of partnership continues for port producers, they open it up to more affordable/accessible port varieties, to perhaps entice a new generation of drinkers
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

slateshalehead wrote: 02:34 Fri 06 Nov 2020 Interestingly enough, I first heard about this not through Taylor Fladgate's social media channels, but from a cinephile friend's posting. I personally haven't seen this kind of a partnership before, and I think it is an interesting way for a port house to try to reach younger demographics. It almost reminds me of Diageo's partnership with Game of Thrones for branding on their scotches. I hope that, if this kind of partnership continues for port producers, they open it up to more affordable/accessible port varieties, to perhaps entice a new generation of drinkers
The younger demographics probably isn't going to be able to afford this. But if it spurs interest in other types of Ports...
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

slateshalehead wrote: 02:34 Fri 06 Nov 2020 Interestingly enough, I first heard about this not through Taylor Fladgate's social media channels, but from a cinephile friend's posting. I personally haven't seen this kind of a partnership before, and I think it is an interesting way for a port house to try to reach younger demographics. It almost reminds me of Diageo's partnership with Game of Thrones for branding on their scotches. I hope that, if this kind of partnership continues for port producers, they open it up to more affordable/accessible port varieties, to perhaps entice a new generation of drinkers
It certainly could work. In some senses it is surprising that considering the a reasonably-healthy market for British nostalgia it hasn’t been tried much in recent years.

I am also struck that TFP places so much emphasis on expense and luxury. For example, when was the last time they had a major product launch that was not something at the premium or super-premium end (e.g. the Scion, the Taylor Colheitas, WoW, the Yeatman etc.)? Perhaps Croft Pink, a decade ago? This is quite a different approach from the Symingtons where there is a mixture of new releases at different ranges (e.g. Graham’s № 5 White; the new Graham LBVs etc. as well as the Graham’s Stone Terraces or the Vesuvio Capela). I’m not saying they have got it wrong, but I am intrigued by the approach.

Also, might I just record that I think “Very Old Tawny” is a really, really naff name? It reminds me of Very Special Cognac, which is, of course, the cheapest.
PCM
Cockburn’s Special Reserve

Post by PCM »

Glenn E. wrote: 22:55 Thu 05 Nov 2020 This looks really nice, but in classic Taylor fashion I expect it to be horribly overpriced for a 500ml bottle. Has anyone see a price yet?
Yes, I have: both Vinho Grandes Escolhas and Vinho do Porto Vintage Blog say that the recommended price will be €2900.00 per bottle!!
Doggett
Morgan 1991

Post by Doggett »

PCM wrote: 11:24 Fri 06 Nov 2020
Glenn E. wrote: 22:55 Thu 05 Nov 2020 This looks really nice, but in classic Taylor fashion I expect it to be horribly overpriced for a 500ml bottle. Has anyone see a price yet?
Yes, I have: both Vinho Grandes Escolhas and Vinho do Porto Vintage Blog say that the recommended price will be €2900.00 per bottle!!
Oh...I thought it would be prohibitively expensive and not offering value for the contents. I think I might get two at that price.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

Only one order of magnitude overpriced?
shocked.gif
shocked.gif (206.99 KiB) Viewed 10489 times
Adrian's following along with all the worst ideas from the computer gaming industry. In this case, making product that's only suitable for the whales. He's probably desperately trying to figure out how to implement loot boxes for Port right about now.
Glenn Elliott
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

Glenn E. wrote: 19:23 Fri 06 Nov 2020 Adrian's following along with all the worst ideas from the computer gaming industry. In this case, making product that's only suitable for the whales. He's probably desperately trying to figure out how to implement loot boxes for Port right about now.
You can see the temptation, though, considering the potential profit margins. I presume with 700 half-litre bottles being sold they have made something like a single pipe of this. I have no idea what the typical retail mark-ups are for these sorts of wine but assuming they don’t exceed 50% that would give them over €1M in revenue...
slateshalehead
Fonseca Bin 27

Post by slateshalehead »

JacobH wrote: 11:16 Mon 09 Nov 2020
Glenn E. wrote: 19:23 Fri 06 Nov 2020 Adrian's following along with all the worst ideas from the computer gaming industry. In this case, making product that's only suitable for the whales. He's probably desperately trying to figure out how to implement loot boxes for Port right about now.
You can see the temptation, though, considering the potential profit margins. I presume with 700 half-litre bottles being sold they have made something like a single pipe of this. I have no idea what the typical retail mark-ups are for these sorts of wine but assuming they don’t exceed 50% that would give them over €1M in revenue...
That is if they sell. I would think that, if they branded US bottles of an LBV with a special movie label and marked it up maybe $1-5, they'd be better off in the long run thanks to a larger potential buying pool. How many of these Kingsman custom decanters will be collecting dust in stores/the warehouse over the next few years? There are only so many people anymore willing to spend that kind of money on port, and those people are likely less impacted by the whole movie gimmick
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

slateshalehead wrote: 13:05 Mon 09 Nov 2020That is if they sell. I would think that, if they branded US bottles of an LBV with a special movie label and marked it up maybe $1-5, they'd be better off in the long run thanks to a larger potential buying pool. How many of these Kingsman custom decanters will be collecting dust in stores/the warehouse over the next few years? There are only so many people anymore willing to spend that kind of money on port, and those people are likely less impacted by the whole movie gimmick
I assume that, following the Scion, they have quite a good idea as to how many of these types of things they will sell. Of course they aren’t really aiming at mainstream wine drinkers, rather the sort of people who might buy a bottle of the Louis XIII Rémy Martin for a similar price, which I guess includes a lot of bars and restaurants that want a fancy drinks trolley of expensive-looking bottles and people who like collecting drinks (c.f. the premium Scotch market).

I guess the question is whether they think it would be easier to shift 700 bottles of this or 400,000 bottles of a special LBV (assuming a markup of $5 and 50% margin for the retailer)?
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by Axel P »

Does it matter if you sell these? I believe the PR value is off the books. So why bother with pocket money?
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
Axel P

Post by Axel P »

Awaiting my sample...
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
Doggett
Morgan 1991

Post by Doggett »

Axel P wrote: 13:49 Sat 14 Nov 2020 Awaiting my sample...
Aren’t we all!
Axel P

Post by Axel P »

tpf.jpg
tpf.jpg (256.5 KiB) Viewed 10241 times
Arrived today... so did this:
Kingsman.jpg
Kingsman.jpg (42.33 KiB) Viewed 10240 times
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
Doggett
Morgan 1991

Post by Doggett »

The films are fun... the second one has a good scene or two at Berry Bros and Rudd (that have named one of their tasting rooms the Kingsman room), but it am sure the port will be more enjoyable!
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

Is anyone else troubled by the suggestion that an ultra-English establishment like the Kingsman would be drinking a tawny rather than a Vintage Port?
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

JacobH wrote:Is anyone else troubled by the suggestion that an ultra-English establishment like the Kingsman would be drinking a tawny rather than a Vintage Port?
Times are a changing...
PCM
Cockburn’s Special Reserve

Post by PCM »

Today (until 23.59) you can buy one (only online) at Estado Liquido in Portugal with a 10% discount and I assume shipping costs are much less than €290.00 :D
Axel P

Post by Axel P »

Kingsman.jpg
Kingsman.jpg (66.73 KiB) Viewed 9900 times
http://worldofport.de/Wein/Wein20-11%20EN.html
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

Thanks, Axel. Have you got any idea where the wines that have gone into this blend came from? Are they Taylor’s stocks or a recent acquisition?
Axel P

Post by Axel P »

No idea
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

Taylor’s have just advertised a new very old tawny, this time a 1896 colheita. Rather than create a new thread, I thought I would bump this one.

It is accompanied by a glossy website.

I do feel a little be uneasy about the advertising, though, as I do with many of these products. For example, saying “the launch of a wine as old, valuable and unique as this occurs only a handful of times in a generation” would carry more weight if it were not the third such wine to be released by them in a decade. I also remained troubled by the refreshing issue. They say 18 pipes were laid down in 1896, of which two remain. That’s an evaporation level of about 1.75% per annum, I think. I guess that could just about work. But is it really the case that they have only refreshed on a like-for-like basis (and not drawn any stocks) during that time?
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

The 1896 SHT should be its own thread (mods?).

I had forgotten until Eric I reminded me, this is the Krohn stock. They had a red and white from the same year when TFP bought them.

They have to be topped off with something as you can’t top off something that old with the same thing from a similar barrel. Well, I guess you could but what would be the point. However, You could store the same vintage in a keg (or similar) for example and it wouldn’t evaporate but after time it would also be substantially different. No clue what that would do if added to the old barrels.

Regardless, I have no issues with this, so long as the end product is good. Otherwise we’re all gonna be eating a spoon full of old port-molasses.