Churchill's Port Club

Anything to do with Port.
rich_n
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Re: RE: Re: Churchill's Port Club

Post by rich_n »

Glenn E. wrote:
JacobH wrote: 20:14 Thu 01 Apr 2021 I was wondering about that. I couldn't remember the maximum and whether it was 5 or 6 years. But I'm think I'm right in saying that an LBV has to pass the subjective test, too? I presume they either decided that this would be too tawny to pass or that it was easier to send it out as a Ruby since that doesn't get tested (I think?).
I think they both have to pass subjective tests. Or rather, I think that all Port has to pass subjective tests. Even VP, which is probably the only reason that we've never seen a white VP since there are no laws prohibiting one. Tawnies have subjective tests, too, and if you try to age a Port in 30k liter vats for 10 years and then release it as a Tawny Port you'll be denied.

Plus, if this were even close to a Colheita, they'd send it out as a "Club Tawny" rather than as a "Club Ruby". Given the discussion during the virtual tasting, this sounds like a VP-level Port that they're calling a "Club Ruby" because it lacks documentation or registration to be used as originally intended. It sounds to me like the kind of thing that they probably had a plan to use as something specific, but forgot about it or thought they'd lost it/already used it, then found it an wondered what the heck they were going to do with it.
Certainly the conversation on the previous virtual tasting that Churchill held for Port.Club was that it was of a standard of quality that they believed to be similar to a youthful SQVP. Who knows how much of that is bullish marketing bluster, but I'm intrigued to see how it tastes. I'm keen to see if they'll reveal more about the origins of the wine.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: Churchill's Port Club

Post by JacobH »

Glenn E. wrote: 21:07 Thu 01 Apr 2021I think they both have to pass subjective tests. Or rather, I think that all Port has to pass subjective tests. Even VP, which is probably the only reason that we've never seen a white VP since there are no laws prohibiting one. Tawnies have subjective tests, too, and if you try to age a Port in 30k liter vats for 10 years and then release it as a Tawny Port you'll be denied.
Isn’t it “especially VP” since the IVDP can reject samples as not being good enough? (Cue those stories about producers re-submitting the same sample and pretending it is different!).

But I thought the point with basic ruby is that the IVDP didn’t monitor it? Hence things like those white colheitas and other oddities being sold as rubies in the past?
MigSU

Post by MigSU »

JacobH wrote: 11:24 Sun 04 Apr 2021
Glenn E. wrote: 21:07 Thu 01 Apr 2021I think they both have to pass subjective tests. Or rather, I think that all Port has to pass subjective tests. Even VP, which is probably the only reason that we've never seen a white VP since there are no laws prohibiting one. Tawnies have subjective tests, too, and if you try to age a Port in 30k liter vats for 10 years and then release it as a Tawny Port you'll be denied.
Isn’t it “especially VP” since the IVDP can reject samples as not being good enough? (Cue those stories about producers re-submitting the same sample and pretending it is different!).

But I thought the point with basic ruby is that the IVDP didn’t monitor it? Hence things like those white colheitas and other oddities being sold as rubies in the past?
White colheita being sold as ruby? :?: What? :?:
CMB
Cruz Ruby

Post by CMB »

Hi all - Just received my 3rd case from the port club and I was surprised to see another bottle of 20 year old tawny, as this was delivered in the first case. Just wondered if this was an error or if others received this too? TIA.
benread
Niepoort 1977

Post by benread »

10 year old, 20 year old and a ‘club tawny’. Thought we might get a white port as it’s summer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Ben
-------
Vintage 1970 and now proud owner of my first ever 'half-century'!
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

benread wrote: 21:32 Fri 25 Jun 202110 year old, 20 year old and a ‘club tawny’.
Ditto. The indication-of-age tawnies seem like small bottles — presumably 50cl.
CMB
Cruz Ruby

Post by CMB »

benread wrote: 21:32 Fri 25 Jun 2021 Thought we might get a white port as it’s summer!
Thanks for confirming! I’m surprised they are having to duplicate bottles so soon. I got a bottle of white port in the last case - couldn’t cope with a duplicate of that as well. :lol:
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

jdaw1 wrote: 22:21 Fri 25 Jun 2021
benread wrote: 21:32 Fri 25 Jun 202110 year old, 20 year old and a ‘club tawny’.
Ditto. The indication-of-age tawnies seem like small bottles — presumably 50cl.
I think they only bottle their tawnies—and the white—in 50cl bottles.

Incidentally, I think there is going to be quite a lot of duplication unless or until they start including Ports from other producers (which I assume is a possibility and why they have branded it as “Port Club” not “Churchill’s Port Club”). Their range isn’t actually that big, I think their current releases are only a ruby reserve & white; a 10, 20, 30 YO tawny; and a LBV, SQVP and VP. I assume, but might be wrong, that we are unlikely to see the 30 YO tawny and the VP in a box. That gives only 6 to play with. I’m quite happy with all of this since I’m happy to drink any of their Ports, including their white!
Doggett
Morgan 1991

Post by Doggett »

I agree with Jacob’s comments about the range. The team at Port Club have said there will be duplication especially over the long term, but I am very happy with that as the quality is so good. I hope overtime they duplicate some of the club bottlings so I can taste one and decide if the other is to save and see how it develops with age. I think they are providing good value and the whole concept should be applauded and hopefully supported to see how it evolves with time. I hope we might see a club Colheita and maybe some blended VPs that may produce some ‘premium’ Crusted bottles that don’t necessarily need IVDP approval for a club bottling as has been written about in another post.
rich_n

Post by rich_n »

The tasting for the latest pack has been confirmed for Thursday 8th July, I assume we may have interest in an after party zoom, correct?
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

Rather nice mixture in this quarter’s box: a 2006 Crusted; a 2016 traditional LBV; and a “Club White” which is described as a sweeter alternative to Churchill’s off-dry standard blend. All in full-sized bottles, too. I hope they’ve made enough money this year to keep it going in the future, especially with all of the problems with shipping.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

The Club White sounds like it could be very nice! I'm not fond of dry whites, but middling-ranged to sweet ones are very nice.

Minor rant: there's Dry, Off Dry, Semi Sweet, and Sweet. What do you call a wine or Port that is neither Off Dry nor Semi Sweet? And yes, I've had many that fall into this range, especially now that white Ports are becoming more common.

:evil:
Glenn Elliott
rich_n

Post by rich_n »

Do we have a confirmation of the date for the Churchill tasting? I'd be keen to do a virtual after that's finished.
Doggett
Morgan 1991

Post by Doggett »

I am not sure how far they are through their distribution. I am yet to get the notification it is on its way, let alone delivery. I suspect an early December date, but it will b e good to check in with Jamie at the ‘94 tasting if we don’t hear before that.
DanSelk
Cheap Ruby

Post by DanSelk »

Received mine on Wednesday, not using UPS so no notifications sent out according to Jamie.
Doggett
Morgan 1991

Post by Doggett »

… and as if by magic… my Port Club pack and my 3 x 2019 Quinta da Grichas, together with a half bottle sample, have been delivered this morning.
DanSelk
Cheap Ruby

Post by DanSelk »

Just wanted to put it out there for those who have not seen this thread.
I have just signed up for my 2nd year of Port.Club.

For Port lovers I think it is great and can highly recommend you take a look.
The last pack received at Christmas also contained some nice additional gifts.
nac
Fonseca 1980

Post by nac »

Received my first installation pack for year 2 last week and wondered if anyone else had used the waiter’s friend corkscrew that came with it?

My usual opener is showing some wear, so tried this new one out and it’s really rather good.
Justin K
Niepoort LBV

Post by Justin K »

Yes Neil, I’ve used it, thought the mechanism was a little stiff but drew the cork cleaner than my normal waiter’s friend. Will use the bag for shopping but not sure about the notebook and pencils; does anybody use pencils anymore?
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Post by flash_uk »

nac wrote: 21:26 Sun 09 Jan 2022 Received my first installation pack for year 2 last week and wondered if anyone else had used the waiter’s friend corkscrew that came with it?

My usual opener is showing some wear, so tried this new one out and it’s really rather good.
Yes I thought so too. The jointed lever is the best I've seen.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

I was impressed with it, too. It’s the first corkscrew with a non-stick coating on the screw which I think actually makes a difference. It makes me even sadder that my Niepoort one (which Dirk said was supposed to be a decent corkscrew rather than a piece of promotional tat) isn’t that good.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

Justin K wrote: 21:38 Sun 09 Jan 2022 Yes Neil, I’ve used it, thought the mechanism was a little stiff but drew the cork cleaner than my normal waiter’s friend. Will use the bag for shopping but not sure about the notebook and pencils; does anybody use pencils anymore?
I love pencils! It gives me an excuse to buy expensive stationery without worrying about the consequences of losing them. Even the most expensive pencil is still a pencil. My current favourites are the Musgrave Pencil Tennessee Reds made from cedar.
nac
Fonseca 1980

Post by nac »

flash_uk wrote: 09:36 Mon 10 Jan 2022
nac wrote: 21:26 Sun 09 Jan 2022 Received my first installation pack for year 2 last week and wondered if anyone else had used the waiter’s friend corkscrew that came with it?

Yes I thought so too. The jointed lever is the best I've seen.
Exactly. The two part lever is much better than any model I’ve previously had. I suspect these weren’t cheap.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

My most recent box turned up today. A really nice selection, I think: a 1992 SQVP; 2014 Crusted and 10-year-old tawny.

I’m a bit worried about the long-term survival of the Port.Club, though. They seem to have terrible trouble with shipping: my box was marked as being sent on 28 March and I am not sure if reducing the number of shipments to 3 times a year is a good sign.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

JacobH wrote: 13:13 Thu 04 May 2023 My most recent box turned up today. A really nice selection, I think: a 1992 SQVP; 2014 Crusted and 10-year-old tawny.

I’m a bit worried about the long-term survival of the Port.Club, though. They seem to have terrible trouble with shipping: my box was marked as being sent on 28 March and I am not sure if reducing the number of shipments to 3 times a year is a good sign.
I’m very happy if reducing the number of shipment to 3 per year means we get gems like the Água Alta 1992! The Crusted and 10YO will get drunk for fun, the 1992 at a special moment.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.