- Calem VP,
- Barros VP
- Kopke VP
- Burmester SQVP
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: 2019 Declaration - Sogevinous

Post by JacobH »

I can’t believe it’s that time of the year already.

Interesting that they’ve gone for another full declaration of all their houses. That makes it four-out-of-five for Cálem doesn’t it? 2015, 2016, 2018 and 2019.
MigSU
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Post by MigSU »

In my personal experience, 2020 was a better year for Port than 2019 (great wines made at Senhora da Ribeira, btw, will be interesting to see how they will release them). Curious as to how they will handle that.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

The reports of 2020 seemed very variable. I think some extremely good wines were made, although I am not sure if in enough quantity to result in a general declaration. Especially in light of the number of general declarations in recent years. I am sure we will get a few very good vintage ports and probably some super-premium vintage ports too.

Senhora da Ribeira is an interesting one. The 2018 release prices were about £54 (including duty + VAT) per bottle in cases of 3, which was only a touch under, say, the Veusvio. From memory, I think it was always a little more expensive than the Bomfim but nothing like that price. I wonder if they are trying to rebrand it as a sort of premium SQVP? Maybe like a second Vesuvio?
MigSU
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Post by MigSU »

You're correct on all counts.

- Sra da Ribeira was always a cut above Bomfim;
- It has been getting more expensive over time.

I've been working there as an intern oenologist for the past three harvests, and they've been receiving the top grapes from a lot of the surrounding Symington-owned estates. Charles Symington was extremely pleased with the 2020 wines made there, it remains to be seen if they'll release it as SdR or Dow's. But I suspect you're right, they might be trying to position SdR as a premium quinta.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

The Dow range is rather odd in its lack of premium products. For example, Graham now has all of those “Single Harvest” colheitas, including some “lodge only” special editions; the “Ne Oublie” ultra-old tawny; and the Stone Terraces VP. There are also some premium everyday Ports like the № 5 White and the Six Grapes special editions. Dow, on the other hand, doesn’t really have anything like that, just a very basic range with two SQVPs being its only distinctive feature.