2019 Declarations

Anything to do with Port.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

2019 Declarations

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

This thread is to hold the details of the Vintage Ports from the 2019 vintage. An asterisk next to the shipper indicates that a tasting note is on TPF for the Port (with a link to the TN).

First to declare (at least the first I have heard officially declare) is Sogevinus on February 23rd with an announcement from Tony at Vintage Wine & Port.

2019 declared by:
Alves de Sousa (DWWA 2022 silver medal winner)

Barao de Vilar
  • Barao de Vilar
  • Feuerheerd
Bulas
Cadao from Mateus & Sequeira
Churchill Quinta da Gricha (282½ cases)
Dalva Pure (an organic VP; 3,500 bottles)
Nicolau de Almeida
Niepoort
Piano (Carlos Alonso; 300 cases)
Pintas (Wine and Soul)
Quevedo
Quinta da Devesa
Quinta da Pacheca
Quinta da Sabordela (DWWA 2022 gold medal winner)
Quinta das Heredias (correctly written as Herédias)
Quinta das Lamelas
Quinta de la Rosa
Quinta de Monsul from Rozes
Quinta de Ventozelo
Quinta do Crasto
Quinta do Cume (DWWA 2022 gold medal winner)

Quinta do Noval
  • Quinta do Noval (2,400 cases)
  • Quinta do Noval Nacional
  • Quinta do Passadouro (600 cases)
Quinta do Portal
Quinta do Portal Muros
Quinta do Tedo
Quinta do Vale Meao
Quinta do Ventozelo (Gran Cruz)
Quinta Nova (de Nossa Senhora do Carmo) (112½ cases)
Quinta Santa Izabel
Sao Leonardo from Quinta do Mourao
Soares Duarte

Sogevinus
  • Barros
  • Burmester Single Quinta
  • Calem
  • Kopke
Sogrape
  • Ferreira Quinta do Porto
  • Sandeman Quinta do Seixo (DWWA 2022 gold medal winner)
Symington Family Estates
  • Cockburn Quinta dos Canais (late release)
  • Dow Quinta do Bomfim (late release)
  • Dow Quinta da Senhora da Ribeira
  • Graham Quinta dos Malvedos (late release)
  • Quinta do Vesuvio
  • Warre Quinta da Cavadinha (late release)
The Fladgate Partnership
  • Croft Roeda (late release)
  • Fonseca Guimaraens (late release)
  • Taylor Quinta da Terra Feita (late release)
  • Taylor Quinta de Vargellas
Vallegre (DWWA 2022 silver medal winner)

Links to other vintages:
2021, 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Re: 2019 Declarations

Post by Axel P »

Niepoort and Crasto to follow.

Niepoort:

With some 28.000 bottles Dirk and Daniel Niepoort launch their new baby VINTAGE PORT 2019.

Dirk says, that this Port could be compared to his young 2003 as the wine shows a classic tannic structure as well as a massive fruity body. With a fantastic ripeness this Port has everything please young and to age perfectly.

The official launch will be on March 19 in Vila Nova de Gaia.
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

Does that mean he is not producing a Bioma? I think it is bottled a little later than the classic VP blend but I can’t remember when he usually declares it.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

Symington’s press release has just come out. They say they are producing a Quinta do Vesúvio and then some SQVPs, although they seem to be trying to rebrand these as “Quinta Vintage Port” rather than “SQVP”.

A 2019 Dow’s Quinta da Senhora da Ribeira is apparently being released this year with the Vesúvio. They say they are going to sell some cases with two bottles of the 2019, two of the 2009 and two of the 1999 which sounds quite fun but I bet is at a ridiculous price.

The others are Graham’s Quinta dos Malvedos, Dow’s Quinta do Bomfim, Warre’s Quinta da Cavadinha and Cockburn’s Quinta dos Canais which are being reserved for future release.

No sign of my favourite, the Roriz :(

There’s apparently going to be a presentation on Instagram Live (SymingtonFamilyEstates) on April 22nd at 7pm.
MigSU
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Post by MigSU »

JacobH wrote: 09:52 Wed 14 Apr 2021 (...) but I bet is at a ridiculous price.
That sounds about right.

I'd be interested in getting the SdR SQVP 2019, as I worked in the winery during that harvest (and during the 2020 one). Also treaded a few lagares in Vesúvio in 2019 (alas, sadly not in 2020, due to the pandemic), so a two-pack of SdR and Vesúvio 2019 would be nice.
PCM
Cockburn’s Special Reserve

Post by PCM »

JacobH wrote: 09:52 Wed 14 Apr 2021 .
A 2019 Dow’s Quinta da Senhora da Ribeira is apparently being released this year with the Vesúvio. They say they are going to sell some cases with two bottles of the 2019, two of the 2009 and two of the 1999 which sounds quite fun but I bet is at a ridiculous price.
MigSU wrote: 11:05 Wed 14 Apr 2021 That sounds about right.

I'd be interested in getting the SdR SQVP 2019, as I worked in the winery during that harvest (and during the 2020 one). Also treaded a few lagares in Vesúvio in 2019 (alas, sadly not in 2020, due to the pandemic), so a two-pack of SdR and Vesúvio 2019 would be nice.
As I understand it, they will release some cases with Vesuvio VP'19, '09 and '99 (one bottle of each) and some cases of Senhora da Ribeira VP '19. '09 and '99 (one bottle of each). They don't plan (as far as I understand) to release a box with one bottle each of vesuvio VP '19 and Senhora da Ribeira VP '19.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

PCM wrote: 14:51 Wed 14 Apr 2021 As I understand it, they will release some cases with Vesuvio VP'19, '09 and '99 (one bottle of each) and some cases of Senhora da Ribeira VP '19. '09 and '99 (one bottle of each). They don't plan (as far as I understand) to release a box with one bottle each of vesuvio VP '19 and Senhora da Ribeira VP '19.
You’re quite right. I didn’t really expect a “case” of three SQVP to be something which should exist! Although I think TFP did one a few years ago with the Taylor Qd Vargallas, the Fonseca Guimaraens and Croft Qd Roêda for fairly standard retail prices so I guess it could work?
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

JacobH wrote: 09:52 Wed 14 Apr 2021 No sign of my favourite, the Roriz :(
Roriz is no longer used for Port - I heard somewhere (but now can't find the source) that it is now dedicated to dry wines.
Glenn Elliott
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

I’ve never quite understood the SQVP naming thing nor it’s origin of use, just accepted it as a common term since I’ve been into Port. Probably a good time to start changing, especially with so many smaller to medium sized producers now selling on the global stage with their Quinta VP’s. As QVP is a far more accurate term and also doesn’t tend to have the negative connotation that SQVP sometimes has.

My understanding is price is going to be similar to last years release (for 2019 QVP’s). So no, it won’t be some outrageous price.
MigSU

Post by MigSU »

PCM wrote: 14:51 Wed 14 Apr 2021
JacobH wrote: 09:52 Wed 14 Apr 2021 .
MigSU wrote: 11:05 Wed 14 Apr 2021 That sounds about right.

As I understand it, they will release some cases with Vesuvio VP'19, '09 and '99 (one bottle of each) and some cases of Senhora da Ribeira VP '19. '09 and '99 (one bottle of each). They don't plan (as far as I understand) to release a box with one bottle each of vesuvio VP '19 and Senhora da Ribeira VP '19.
Thanks for clarifying. In that case I'll pursue them separately, as I don't have a particular interest in either the 2009 or the 1999, of either quinta.
MigSU

Post by MigSU »

Glenn E. wrote: 17:31 Wed 14 Apr 2021
Roriz is no longer used for Port - I heard somewhere (but now can't find the source) that it is now dedicated to dry wines.

That is correct. It's Prats & Symington territory now! (well, mostly)
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

MigSU wrote: 11:05 Wed 14 Apr 2021
JacobH wrote: 09:52 Wed 14 Apr 2021 (...) but I bet is at a ridiculous price.
That sounds about right.
I suspect that like any commodity the price will be what the market can stand. It sounds very much like a small tasting case of relatively young and easy to acquire "xxx9" vintages being put together rather than some of the more unusual and rare releases of recent times. I think these are likely to be priced at not more than the combined retail price of the three bottles otherwise they simply wouldn't sell.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I like the idea of being able to buy a “tasting case”, especially if it’s relatively easy to add to the case contents - with a bottle of Vesuvio 1989, for example.

Anything which makes life easier for enthusiasts like us is a great idea.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

Alex Bridgeman wrote:I like the idea of being able to buy a “tasting case”, especially if it’s relatively easy to add to the case contents - with a bottle of Vesuvio 1989, for example.

Agree 100%
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

Alex Bridgeman wrote: 20:20 Wed 14 Apr 2021 I like the idea of being able to buy a “tasting case”, especially if it’s relatively easy to add to the case contents - with a bottle of Vesuvio 1989, for example.

Quinta do Vesuvio decivertical when?
Glenn Elliott
Christopher
Niepoort LBV

Post by Christopher »

I read the press release and as others have said it looks to be 2019, 2009 and 1999 from these two houses in seperate boxes.

Let’s all take a step back .

Everyone on this site is a lover of Port, it’s a passion.
A box like this is not likely to be purchased widely. It is as it says on the tin a limited edition.
I am really pleased they have released these , it’s a tasting in a box, really interesting and for me at 50 and who likes very mature port more interesting than 3 bottles of 2019. I will be buying some to share with friends, both people on this forum and friends who appreciate good wine.

This type of release is designed as I see it for people who appreciate wine, who value the fact these boxes all have the same provenance that takes away one of the big uncertainties when doing verticals. We never used to get these types of releases with a new vintage l. I think as Port fans we should be really happy, this is for us!!
Before we start speculating about prices let’s just appreciate for what a big step it is for us as passionate drinkers and wait for the price to be released. I hope other producers follow this step.

Note a number of you on this forum were my guests previously at a Vesuvio in a box tasting. What fun that was and if I get a chance to do it again would so love to!
Last edited by Christopher on 23:02 Wed 14 Apr 2021, edited 1 time in total.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

I’ve just received an email from vintage and fine wines, the Sym’s retail arm in USA. En premier, the 2019 Vesuvio will be $68/bottle (USD). That’s a very good price.

I’d caution people not to “put the cart before the horse” in their posts.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

MigSU wrote: 17:51 Wed 14 Apr 2021
Glenn E. wrote: 17:31 Wed 14 Apr 2021
That is correct. It's Prats & Symington territory now! (well, mostly)
When I asked in December they said that they were still making it in the best years. The last one that I am aware of is a 2016. I’m not surprised they didn’t declare a 2018 or 2019 and I hope that 2017 was just an aberration. We will have to see when we get to the next general declaration!
Andy Velebil wrote: 17:39 Wed 14 Apr 2021 I’ve never quite understood the SQVP naming thing nor it’s origin of use, just accepted it as a common term since I’ve been into Port. Probably a good time to start changing, especially with so many smaller to medium sized producers now selling on the global stage with their Quinta VP’s. As QVP is a far more accurate term and also doesn’t tend to have the negative connotation that SQVP sometimes has.
For me, the problem with “QVP” is that it seems to be dropping the key word, “single”. Especially since it is pretty common in other drink industries, too (e.g. single-origin coffee; single malt whisky etc. etc.).

That said, I agree that the term is a bit of a mess. Firstly, it has never made much sense to me why secondary VPs should be SQ ones. If anything, you might expect the very best Ports not to require as much blending between vineyards. But then, although many shippers have tried to produce second-label VPs (e.g. Sandeman Vau, Niepoort Secundum, Noval Silval etc.) I think only Fonseca Guimaraens has stuck around for any length of time. So obviously SQVP works whereas second-label VP doesn’t.

Also, of course, there is a lack of clarity to consumers as to whether any given SQVP is a secondary-year Port (e.g. Taylor Qd Vargellas), an every-year-bar-1993 Port (e.g. Veusvio), or a best-year-only Port (e.g. Noval). And I bet almost no-one knows the difference between a “Noval LBV” and a “Quinta do Noval LBV” outside Port-drinking circles.
Christopher wrote: 22:24 Wed 14 Apr 2021 This type of release is designed as I see it for people who appreciate wine, who value the fact these boxes all have the same provenance that takes away one of the big uncertainties when doing verticals. We never used to get these types of releases with a new vintage l. I think as Port fans we should be really happy, this is for us!!
Before we start speculating about prices let’s just appreciate for what a big step it is for us as passionate drinkers and wait for the price to be released. I hope other producers follow this step.
I hope you are right. My speculation was that this wouldn’t be aimed at Port drinkers who would like to open all three as a tasting-in-a-box but, instead, wine investors who would squirrel it away hoping that it would appreciate in value. I only think this because quite a few of the recent “limited editions” have been squarely aimed at the collector rather than the drinker and it has been these that have been heavily advertised. For example, I remember seeing some adverts for a “Primum Familiae Vini” case which sounded like a fun thing, but when it was released they clearly went big, putting all of the first and ultra-premium labels in a box and selling them for £81K:

https://www.sothebys.com/en/buy/auction ... ?locale=en

I don’t really buy much Vesúvio to know what a fair price would be for that tasting case. I would have thought a 2019, 2009 and 1999 Dow SdR would be worth about £120 retail but I get the impression that they want to try to push the price of that up (hence the 2018 being essentially double what I would expect).

But, I would like to make this very clear, this is just idle speculation!
MigSU

Post by MigSU »

Bloody hell, £81k.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

JacobH wrote: 15:30 Thu 15 Apr 2021 For example, I remember seeing some adverts for a “Primum Familiae Vini” case which sounded like a fun thing, but when it was released they clearly went big, putting all of the first and ultra-premium labels in a box and selling them for £81K:
To be fair, that sold for £81K because of the 12 private tastings, 1 at each of the estates. I have no idea what the wines alone might have sold for, other than the fact that the 2017 GST is worth maybe £150.
Glenn Elliott
Christopher
Niepoort LBV

Post by Christopher »

Glenn E. wrote: 00:30 Fri 16 Apr 2021
JacobH wrote: 15:30 Thu 15 Apr 2021 For example, I remember seeing some adverts for a “Primum Familiae Vini” case which sounded like a fun thing, but when it was released they clearly went big, putting all of the first and ultra-premium labels in a box and selling them for £81K:
To be fair, that sold for £81K because of the 12 private tastings, 1 at each of the estates. I have no idea what the wines alone might have sold for, other than the fact that the 2017 GST is worth maybe £150.

The PFV case entitles then buyer and 3 friends to have lunch/ dinner with each of the 12 families in the PFV and is actually for charity, it’s totally different and a very generous donation of time and effort by all involved.
There is a big charity dinner as part of this as well.
I really think these boxes will help encourage people’s love and education of Port and I for one cannot wait to try them.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

Apologies. I didn’t realise it was a charity sale: there isn’t a mention of that on the Sotheby’s or PFV website.

I really hope you are right and the don’t go big with the pricing. We shall see!
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

There is a proper grumble to be made about the Symingtons’ 2019 declaration. No, it is not holding prices steady (thank you to the Syms). Nor about releasing a set of Nines at a fair price (thank you to the Syms).

No, not these. Instead there is a proper serious grumble. It is starkly obvious, and doubtless you’ve all seen it. You’ve all see it, quietly sighed, and not-very-bravely left the task to me.

From the press notice:
and will release two en primeur – Quinta do Vesúvio and Dow’s Quinta da Senhora da Ribeira
As a celebration of the unique terroir of two of the Symingtons’ most renowned estates - Quinta do Vesúvio and Dow’s Quinta da Senhora da Ribeira – the family are releasing two limited edition cases from both estates
• Press notice says “Quinta do Vesúvio”.
• Bottle label says “Quinta do Vesuvio”.

Accent, or no accent? Ú, or U: tell me.
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

Label is consistent with all prior labels (no accent). Previous documention about the Quinta from the quinta itself shows no accent.
The train station name has the accent.
MigSU

Post by MigSU »

PhilW wrote: 19:00 Sat 17 Apr 2021 Label is consistent with all prior labels (no accent). Previous documention about the Quinta from the quinta itself shows no accent.
The train station name has the accent.
The word "Vesúvio" in Portuguese has the accent (which is why the train station has it), so the labels should too (well, at least according to my OCD). But they don't, and never have - neither the Ports nor the Douro DOC wines.