UK available 40 year old tawnies

Anything to do with Port.
winesecretary
Fonseca 1980

UK available 40 year old tawnies

Post by winesecretary »

On Wednesday's call idj commented that there weren't that many UK-available 40 year old tawnies. An idle lunchtime of googling this week proves him right.

Even with the aid of others I can only find 11 currently available in UK (1-11 below). There are another 25 of which I am now aware which are available elsewhere, mainly only in Portugal (12-36)

With thanks to PhilW, Screagle, JacobH, Glenn E, Andy Velebil, M_Charlton for information.

Is anyone aware of any I (and those who have already contributed) have missed out, in either category?

1. Barao de Vilar

2. Burmester

3. Fonseca

4. Graham

5. Kopke

6. Messias

7. Noval

8. Pocas

9. Sandeman

10. Taylor

11. Dow

12. Palmer (Barao de Vilar) (sometimes available UK)

13. Andresen (sometimes available UK)

14. Portal

15. Quevedo

16. Quinta de Revolta

17. Quinta das Lamelas

18. Quinta do Mourao (S. Leonardo)

19. Ramos Pinto

20. Quinta do Vallado

21. Vasconcellos

22. Vasques de Carvalho

23. Vista Alegre

24. Dalva

25. Pacheca

26. Maynards (Barao de Vilar) (sometimes available UK)

27. Fletchers (Barao de Vilar) (sometimes available UK)

28. Valriz

29. Royal Oporto

30. Quinta de Santa Eufêmia

31. Amável Costa

32. Quinta da Vacaria

33. Cálem

34. Quinta do Castelinho.

35. Casa de Santa Eufêmia

36. Quinta da Devesa
Last edited by winesecretary on 01:41 Tue 09 Mar 2021, edited 10 times in total.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: UK available 40 year old tawnies

Post by JacobH »

I’ve tried the Valriz 40-year-old in Porto and seen the Royal Oporto and Quinta de Santa Eufêmia ones for sale too. There’s probably a Casa de Santa Eufêmia one, too.

A quick look at Garrafeira Nacional turns up some that I have never come across like Amável Costa, Quinta da Vacaria, Cálem, and Quinta do Castelinho. I have to confess I don’t think I’ve seen Amável Costa or Qd Vacaria / Ceselinho before at all!
Screagle
Cockburn’s Special Reserve

Post by Screagle »

This topic reminded me that a bottle of Fletcher's 40 Year Old Tawny Port (Aldi - Barão de Vilar) sold at an UK on-line auction earlier this week. Although it's showing as no longer available from Aldi it might be a seasonal range.

Cheers
Last edited by Screagle on 09:45 Sat 27 Feb 2021, edited 1 time in total.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

winesecretary wrote: 15:02 Fri 26 Feb 2021 24. Maynards (currently) - is this the same blend as the Barao de Vilar?

25. Fletchers (currently) - is this the same blend as the Barao de Vilar?
If I remember correctly what we were told on our last visit, they are all different blends.
Glenn Elliott
M.Charlton
Taylor’s LBV

Post by M.Charlton »

Dow’s 40 is available in the UK.
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

I'll check my notes, but off the top of my head I would add:
- Dow (used to be available, not sure if it still is)
- Quinta do Vallado
- Quinta da Devesa
- Palmer
- (and confirming yes there is a) Quinta Santa Eufêmia
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: RE: Re: UK available 40 year old tawnies

Post by JacobH »

M.Charlton wrote:Dow’s 40 is available in the UK.
I hadn't realised this since the Dow website only goes up to the 30 year old. One wine merchant which sells it says that it was relaunched in 2019 having not been made for a few years. The bottles for all their aged tawnies have a new design so I wonder it they tweaked the blends at the same time?
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

JacobH wrote: 10:12 Sat 27 Feb 2021
M.Charlton wrote:Dow’s 40 is available in the UK.
I hadn't realised this since the Dow website only goes up to the 30 year old. One wine merchant which sells it says that it was relaunched in 2019 having not been made for a few years. The bottles for all their aged tawnies have a new design so I wonder it they tweaked the blends at the same time?
From my empirical evidence of tasting the Dow's in the new packaging, yes, they changed the blends. They've improved the quality of it.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

Andy Velebil wrote: 16:35 Sat 27 Feb 2021 From my empirical evidence of tasting the Dow's in the new packaging, yes, they changed the blends. They've improved the quality of it.
That’s interesting. Looking at my notes, I don’t think I’ve tried any Dow aged tawny. How to they compare with Graham? I notice that the marketing talks about being aged in larger barrels to give them more fruit which is an interesting comparison with what we were told at that Nickolls & Perks Graham’s tasting that they were aiming to give the Graham’s blend a bit more age. That said, I can’t think of many Symington tawnies that really impress me. From memory, I think the Graham’s 30 year old is the best I’ve tried. Probably followed by the Warre Otima 20 year old?
rich_n
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Post by rich_n »

JacobH wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote: 16:35 Sat 27 Feb 2021 From my empirical evidence of tasting the Dow's in the new packaging, yes, they changed the blends. They've improved the quality of it.
That’s interesting. Looking at my notes, I don’t think I’ve tried any Dow aged tawny. How to they compare with Graham? I notice that the marketing talks about being aged in larger barrels to give them more fruit which is an interesting comparison with what we were told at that Nickolls & Perks Graham’s tasting that they were aiming to give the Graham’s blend a bit more age. That said, I can’t think of many Symington tawnies that really impress me. From memory, I think the Graham’s 30 year old is the best I’ve tried. Probably followed by the Warre Otima 20 year old?
I've not had any of the older Dow tawnies but the 10YO was very drinkable, better than the likes of Graham or Taylor.
winesecretary
Fonseca 1980

Post by winesecretary »

Hurrah, VWAP have more stocks of the Palmer and Maynards.
Chris Doty
Graham’s Malvedos 1996

Post by Chris Doty »

Purchased. Thank you.
MigSU
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Post by MigSU »

Ugh. I'm no longer confident ordering from the UK. Too many unforeseeables.

Good prices, though.