I'm going to be having a bad week...

Anything to do with Port.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: I'm going to be having a bad week...

Post by jdaw1 »

winesecretary wrote: 13:25 Sat 24 Apr 2021@ WS1 - I will probably be banned from the board for saying it, but I own only a single magnum of port, Niepoort 2017. Mind you, the thought of cracking it open does fill me with pleasure, so you may be onto something here...
The Administrators are being summonsed for an emergency meeting.
WS1
Cruz 1989

Post by WS1 »

@winesecretary - good choice on Niepoort 2017! However as JDAW1 has not done it yet; you need to consider having a double magnum section section in your cellar as well. For this format and bigger formats there is also a need e.g. if you are having a disastrous week or friends like JDAW1 popping by for a drink...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

The main reason for me having magnums of VP or SQVP in my cellar is to conserve the vibrant, violet, dark fruit taste of young ports longer. In halves and straight bts it usually disappears within a year or two. In magnums you have 3-4 years at least. E.g. Croft 11 is drinking superbly from magnum at the moment. And a magnum if not decanted without deterioation in taste can be easily consumed within a week. :wink:

regards

WS1
"Sometimes too much to drink is barely enough"
Mark Twain
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

jdaw1 wrote: 20:36 Sun 25 Apr 2021The Administrators are being summonsed for an emergency meeting.
In court?
hadge
Niepoort LBV

Post by hadge »

PhilW wrote: 12:40 Mon 26 Apr 2021
jdaw1 wrote: 20:36 Sun 25 Apr 2021The Administrators are being summonsed for an emergency meeting.
In court?
that would be very fitting in this case.
winesecretary
Fonseca 1980

Post by winesecretary »

I think it is contempt of Tribunal to drink any liquid other than water, and that from a glass, during a video hearing. I fear the Administrators would be unable to survive the hearing without incurring the Judge's wrath...
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

winesecretary wrote: 19:25 Mon 26 Apr 2021I think it is contempt of Tribunal to drink any liquid other than water,
Would a type-1 diabetic be allowed something more sugary, non-alcoholically so, of course?
Mike J. W.
Taylor’s LBV

Post by Mike J. W. »

winesecretary wrote: 12:01 Fri 23 Apr 2021 I've just been through the 22 notes on GC77 on the tasting note list, ranging in date from 2004 - 2018. There are 8 positive bottle reports. There are 5 obviously faulty (corked) bottles. The other 9 are somewhat mixed with some thinking they are not right and others thinking they are just having a bad day. In percentage terms that's about on a par where I am with GC77. Given Glenn's universally positive experiences with it I do wonder whether the ones that went to the US were a different bottling run. Or - lightbulb moment - I remember Glenn saying either he could not perceive or was not put off by TCAI That may be it...
I've had similar luck with GC, both the '77 and '80. I once opened two GC '80's the same day for a tasting. Both were corked. I was not a happy boy that day. A few months later I opened my first GC '77. It wasn't completely flawed, but it was definitely off. I did have a GC '80 that was magnificent but altogether I think I'm 1 out of 4 for the two vintages.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

winesecretary wrote: 13:25 Sat 24 Apr 2021 @ WS1 - I will probably be banned from the board for saying it, but I own only a single magnum of port, Niepoort 2017. Mind you, the thought of cracking it open does fill me with pleasure, so you may be onto something here...
Not so long ago, I only owned Port in either bottles or half bottles. Not so long ago really, not in the grand scale of things...
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
benread
Niepoort 1977

Post by benread »

Alex Bridgeman wrote: Not so long ago, I only owned Port in either bottles or half bottles. Not so long ago really, not in the grand scale of things...
Not so long ago, my entire Port cellar consisted ‘only’ of a few bequeathed bottles of Dow 1960. ‘Not so long ago really’ etc etc!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Ben
-------
Vintage 1970 and now proud owner of my first ever 'half-century'!