Port and Tonic- in a can!

Anything to do with Port.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Port and Tonic- in a can!

Post by JacobH »

Taylor's Port announces the launch of the first ready-to-drink white Port & tonic in a can.
https://taylor.pt/en/news/taylors-port- ... c-in-a-can

Will this be the most controversial Port product launch since Pink Port?

I think it's a great idea. I don't buy pre-mixed G&Ts very often but they have a time and a place and I'd love to be able to get a Port and Tonic instead...
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: Port and Tonic- in a can!

Post by Andy Velebil »

I think it's a good idea. There are times when tossing a can in a cooler is so much easier.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Good luck with it.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Pedrino have been offering a Ruby port and tonic (using Quevedo Ruby reserve) for a few years but this is the first white port and tonic in a can I’ve heard about.

I wonder what the base White Port is? Chip Dry is the obvious choice if this is a Taylor branded product.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
MigSU
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Post by MigSU »

Alex Bridgeman wrote: 08:44 Mon 03 May 2021 Pedrino have been offering a Ruby port and tonic (using Quevedo Ruby reserve) for a few years but this is the first white port and tonic in a can I’ve heard about.

I wonder what the base White Port is? Chip Dry is the obvious choice if this is a Taylor branded product.
It's Chip Dry, yes.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

MigSU wrote: 09:52 Mon 03 May 2021 It's Chip Dry, yes.
I thought this was a bit of a shame since I think their other white, the Fine White, is a better Port. But I can understand why the huge brand inertia behind the Chip Dry means they had to use it in this! The tonic is apparently a bespoke recipe.

I am very hopeful that this product will create a market and, like with canned G&T, we’ll start to see more being produced by small companies, too. A Churchill Fine White pre-mixed with one of the premium tonic waters would be fantastic.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

Interesting how two companies launch the same product at almost the same time. Sogrape has just announced a version made with their Offley Clink White.

Incidentally, the Clink White (there is also a rosé version) is also new to me. It seems to be following the Graham’s № 5 model of being very, very young. More interestingly, they are bottling it at a low LBV: 17%. They also say that it has fewer calories than normal white port. I wonder if it is therefore being fermented dry? Anyone tried it?
MigSU
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Post by MigSU »

JacobH wrote: 10:03 Sun 16 May 2021 Interesting how two companies launch the same product at almost the same time.
Make that three companies. Quinta da Boeira is also releasing a portonic (theirs comes in a little bottle, instead of a can).
Doggett
Morgan 1991

Post by Doggett »

There are also reports that Sandeman have a port and tonic in development and that Cockburn will have one ready for sale in the UK retail sector this summer.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Note to self: buy one of each for a tasting.