Chris Doty
Graham’s Malvedos 1996

Learn to blend your own Tawny - with Oscar Quevedo

Post by Chris Doty »

Chris Doty
Graham’s Malvedos 1996

Re: Learn to blend your own Tawny - with Oscar Quevedo

Post by Chris Doty »

Stop spitting Oscar, you’re even more fun slightly toasted!
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

This was such an interesting tasting.

Some of the comments from Oscar about Quevedo’s house-style were interesting, particularly that about the important of the volatile acidity. This came across quite strongly when I did a comparative tasting of the rest of the 20YO against the Churchill’s one the next night. I suppose, though, a different house like Niepoort would be more interesting since Churchill have quite a similar aim of fermenting longer so the wine is a bit drier and requires less fortification.

I’m curious as to whether other houses make their tawnies from a similar number of components or whether the higher-volume producers tend to use more blends made up of the lots from individual years (like samples 2 and 4).

By far the most interesting Port for me was “Sample 1”: the 1997 which had spent a lot of time in large format—I’m afraid I can’t remember if Oscar said concrete vats or tonels—and so was incredibly youthful and half-way between a tawny and a bottle-aged Port. A really interesting Port.

Incidentally, the comment from Oscar that his sister likes to take tawny Ports in-and-out of wood as they are really made me wonder: why aren’t Quevedo making any garrafeira? They obviously have great interest and skill in tawnies and are not afraid to release unusual Ports in small volumes so if anyone beyond Niepoort is going to age some in large-format glass, it surely has to be them?
Doggett
Morgan 1991

Post by Doggett »

JacobH wrote: 09:36 Sat 15 May 2021
Incidentally, the comment from Oscar that his sister likes to take tawny Ports in-and-out of wood as they are really made me wonder: why aren’t Quevedo making any garrafeira?
It seems that they do indeed make some Garrafeiras, but not commercially as yet… but keep an eye out for some Christmas specials with VWP later this year that may include a small bottle or two.
Chris Doty
Graham’s Malvedos 1996

Post by Chris Doty »

Doggett wrote: 12:43 Sat 15 May 2021

It seems that they do indeed make some Garrafeiras
Omerta

:evil:
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

Doggett wrote: 12:43 Sat 15 May 2021It seems that they do indeed make some Garrafeiras, but not commercially as yet… but keep an eye out for some Christmas specials with VWP later this year that may include a small bottle or two.
Exciting, especially if they manage to get the IVDP to approve them as such!
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

JacobH wrote: 09:36 Sat 15 May 2021 This was such an interesting tasting.

Some of the comments from Oscar about Quevedo’s house-style were interesting, particularly that about the important of the volatile acidity. This came across quite strongly when I did a comparative tasting of the rest of the 20YO against the Churchill’s one the next night. I suppose, though, a different house like Niepoort would be more interesting since Churchill have quite a similar aim of fermenting longer so the wine is a bit drier and requires less fortification.

I’m curious as to whether other houses make their tawnies from a similar number of components or whether the higher-volume producers tend to use more blends made up of the lots from individual years (like samples 2 and 4).

By far the most interesting Port for me was “Sample 1”: the 1997 which had spent a lot of time in large format—I’m afraid I can’t remember if Oscar said concrete vats or tonels—and so was incredibly youthful and half-way between a tawny and a bottle-aged Port. A really interesting Port.

Incidentally, the comment from Oscar that his sister likes to take tawny Ports in-and-out of wood as they are really made me wonder: why aren’t Quevedo making any garrafeira? They obviously have great interest and skill in tawnies and are not afraid to release unusual Ports in small volumes so if anyone beyond Niepoort is going to age some in large-format glass, it surely has to be them?
Man, I really wish I lived in London! These all sound like amazing experiences. This one in particular for me.
Glenn Elliott
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

Glenn E. wrote: 19:00 Sat 15 May 2021Man, I really wish I lived in London! These all sound like amazing experiences. This one in particular for me.
The real question is whether the improvements in Port (and beer :wink: ) would be sufficient compensation for the terrible barbecues we have here!
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

JacobH wrote: 19:13 Sat 15 May 2021
Glenn E. wrote: 19:00 Sat 15 May 2021Man, I really wish I lived in London! These all sound like amazing experiences. This one in particular for me.
The real question is whether the improvements in Port (and beer :wink: ) would be sufficient compensation for the terrible barbecues we have here!
I hear Ben is getting pretty good at it! :lol:
Glenn Elliott