Latest buy

Anything to do with Port.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Re: Latest buy

Post by Glenn E. »

It's not just Niepoort wines, either, it's anything they bottled. E.g. Broadbent VP from '94 and '97 is also a pretty risky buy.

I'm very sensitive to VA but it normally doesn't offend me, however even I find the levels in these wines to be offensive.
Glenn Elliott
MigSU
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Post by MigSU »

I fear for my 91's and 97's. Fortunately it's only two of each.
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Post by flash_uk »

Christopher wrote: 22:12 Tue 18 May 2021 Mr Doty
I have just tried said half of Niepoort 94, undrinkable with hints of paint stripper.
Conversation with retailer required.
Mike J. W.
Taylor’s LBV

Post by Mike J. W. »

4 x 1992 Taylor Fladgate halves
1 x 1994 Quinta do Vesuvio
4 x Quinta da Pacheca 20 yo Tawny
other odds and ends
winesecretary
Fonseca 1980

Post by winesecretary »

While I am sorry that Christopher's experience was negative, 'Undrinkable, with hints of paint stripper' is an absolutely great title for a vinous autobiography.
Chris Doty
Graham’s Malvedos 1996

Post by Chris Doty »

flash_uk wrote: 23:41 Tue 18 May 2021
Christopher wrote: 22:12 Tue 18 May 2021 Mr Doty
I have just tried said half of Niepoort 94, undrinkable with hints of paint stripper.
Conversation with retailer required.
Experts in multiple countries have separately diagnosed me as insane, but I wouldn’t mind inviting niepoort and Raeburn to a group chat with Tpf to discuss.

This situation is not a good look.

I haven’t been to Edinburgh for a few years now, but I’ve done business with them at least back to 2009, iirc, and would love if possible to restore my good opinion of their outfit.
Christopher
Niepoort LBV

Post by Christopher »

Just to be clear I am a big fan of Raeburn Fine Wines, I have been a customer for many years. I knew this Port did not have the best of reputations but I wanted to try it. Note as stated I only bought a half bottle for a reason.
Chris Doty
Graham’s Malvedos 1996

Post by Chris Doty »

Christopher wrote: 07:08 Wed 19 May 2021 Just to be clear I am a big fan of Raeburn Fine Wines, I have been a customer for many years. I knew this Port did not have the best of reputations but I wanted to try it. Note as stated I only bought a half bottle for a reason.
And just to be clear I have only had positive experiences, and they don’t know me from Adam.

But they were identified as exclusive Agent,

which places them above mere retailer of repute with respect to this very wine.

I would have expected it to be part of a tasting series either for their staff or clients to see what a flawed wine experience is like: must know the enemy! This is VA, not TCA, TwA, or cooked!

If they wanted to send back to Niepoort, that would be the other “obvious” option,

and this illustrates why a producer should own up to their mess - this wine shouldn’t be on any retailers shelf! It does the brand an injustice. But it ain’t my brand.

Appreciate your Sciencing for us brah, keep the name clean! I’m doing enough damage for the two of us +!
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

So far this year I have bought a 20cl bottle of Graham’s 1982 Single Harvest Tawny, a half bottle of Barros 1999 and a bottle of Paxton & Whitfield (from Quinta & Vineyard Bottlers) 2000.

Plus various tasting kits.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
Chris Doty
Graham’s Malvedos 1996

Post by Chris Doty »

Alex Bridgeman wrote: 07:46 Wed 19 May 2021

Plus various tasting kits.
Thoughts on kit satisfaction/ qpr / comp to 375/750 ?
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

In general, I've been delighted with the tasting kits, particularly those coming from 67 Pall Mall or Vintage Wine & Port. The wines have been of excellent quality but the real value comes from the live tasting led by the wine-maker.

I hope these opportunities continue post-COVID.

uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

I've also bought fairly little this year - 41 bottles in total - all LBV

Auction prices so far this year have been crazy - I'm not sure if this is the 'new normal' or a sign of inflation kicking off - a lot of commodity prices are running hot, so I'm wondering if we're seeing a flight to alternative investments..?
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
rich_n

Re: RE: Re: Latest buy

Post by rich_n »

uncle tom wrote:I've also bought fairly little this year - 41 bottles in total - all LBV

Auction prices so far this year have been crazy - I'm not sure if this is the 'new normal' or a sign of inflation kicking off - a lot of commodity prices are running hot, so I'm wondering if we're seeing a flight to alternative investments..?
I suspect much of this is driven by the lack of opportunities to go to restaurants and bars. I am interested to see what happens when people go back to spending money on going out and eating/drinking in those spots.
MigSU

Re: RE: Re: Latest buy

Post by MigSU »

rich_n wrote: 13:33 Wed 19 May 2021
uncle tom wrote:I've also bought fairly little this year - 41 bottles in total - all LBV

I suspect much of this is driven by the lack of opportunities to go to restaurants and bars. I am interested to see what happens when people go back to spending money on going out and eating/drinking in those spots.
And just leaving their house (and therefore their computers and/or phones) more, be it for work or leisure. Less eyes on screens, less bids on lots!
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

4.5L (Jeroboam) of Graham's 20 Year Tawny.

I've been thinking of getting one for a long while to use at my new house warming party. Well, the now not so new house (moved in last year two days before lockdown started). Now that things are improving on the Covid front, I threw caution to the wind and got one. At some point this summer it will be opened at the, now very late, house warming gathering...when we're allowed more people to gather that is.
Chris Doty
Graham’s Malvedos 1996

Post by Chris Doty »

Andy Velebil wrote: 15:46 Wed 19 May 2021 4.5L (Jeroboam)
https://www.decanter.com/learn/wine-bot ... ar-440193/

Always the tricky one! Must confirm in units prior to paying!

My eyes this year have been on Balthazar :shock:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeroboam
Chris Doty
Graham’s Malvedos 1996

Post by Chris Doty »

Some Greek lurker will soon unmask herself...
Chris Doty
Graham’s Malvedos 1996

Post by Chris Doty »

She will mention most of what I bought, but will refrain from mentioning...
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

Andy Velebil wrote: 15:46 Wed 19 May 2021 4.5L (Jeroboam) of Graham's 20 Year Tawny.

I've been thinking of getting one for a long while to use at my new house warming party. Well, the now not so new house (moved in last year two days before lockdown started). Now that things are improving on the Covid front, I threw caution to the wind and got one. At some point this summer it will be opened at the, now very late, house warming gathering...when we're allowed more people to gather that is.
This seems like a great idea for a party. I hope you have given consideration as to how to serve it? Hand-pouring from 4.5l after a few of them might be a bit tricky...

I presume a side-effect of pandemics is that a whole load of long straws through the neck like some Sumerian ale is off-the-cards?
Chris Doty
Graham’s Malvedos 1996

Post by Chris Doty »

There are objects , known as decanters...
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

Chris Doty wrote: 17:39 Wed 19 May 2021 There are objects , known as decanters...
There should be laws against the decanting of 4.5l bottles of tawny ports into anything less than a 4.5l decanter.
Chris Doty
Graham’s Malvedos 1996

Post by Chris Doty »

??? Brah. Party more. You have twenty guests:

With much fanfare you open your jeroboam !! Ta da, singing prayers to those that hear and see nothing.

You gently pour a glass or two for qc (do not serve a jero of corked 1977 to an audience of tpf and pretend it is sunshine!)

Then decant 20 pours worth - being tawny, no time is need, but splash for effect.

Serve with fanfare verve and gusto: top up the decanter from jero as needed

Get down and stay down

End of
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

The Boot & Flogger just pour straight from the jeroboam into the glass.

jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

JacobH wrote: 17:42 Wed 19 May 2021There should be laws against the decanting of 4.5l bottles of tawny ports into anything less than a 4.5l decanter.
That mass of decanter would be difficult to control. The maximum practical size for a decanter is a tappit hen. Beyond that, split into multiple decanters.
Chris Doty
Graham’s Malvedos 1996

Post by Chris Doty »

Bro, where’s the schematic?!