Map of the Douro

Anything to do with Port.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Map of the Douro

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Does anyone know of an online map of the Douro region which shows the location of the different quintas?

Thanks,

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Re: Map of the Douro

Post by Axel P »

I just prepared a hugh copy, which I will hand you, when you visit me. It is too big to be published, but I will get everyone asking for it a copy.

Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I am sure someone has asked this question either here or on :ftlop: and someone came up with a link to an online map. Will have a search around when I have more time.

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Axel P

Post by Axel P »

If someone has the space and the ability to load up my map (scale 1:50.000) he can provide this service and I can provide the map. It has about 40Megs in jpeg format.

Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Can it be saved at a lower resolution to reduce the file size but remain legible?
Ernest H. Cockburn
ac-fast
Niepoort LBV

Post by ac-fast »

I would realy love to have a map over Douro, and all the quintas. Is it posible to download it from a site ???

In my job i can print realy large, - poster for the wall :D
Any time not spend drinking port, is a waste of time.
keytohwy
Cheap Ruby

Post by keytohwy »

Axel P wrote:If someone has the space and the ability to load up my map (scale 1:50.000) he can provide this service and I can provide the map. It has about 40Megs in jpeg format.

Axel
I sent you a PM. This is something I am able to do...

keytohwy
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

There are lots of places on Google Maps now (I tend to get better results with http://maps.google.pt), especially as the satellite photos of the Douro are now of a much high quality.

E.g. Noval, Vargellas and Vesuvio
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

I've been taking a little time out recently to advance my idea for a pocketbook about port - essential information for visitors and the uninitiated.

A map is one of the sticking points, as the Douro valley is too complex to portray on a single page of a book - even a fold-out - so I'm looking at a separate map that can be sello wrapped together with the book, or tucked into a pocket in the inside back cover.

What is needed is a double sided A2 tourist map, with the Douro valley on one side, and Porto/VNG on the reverse, with principal attractions marked. Producing one is not out of the question, but I can't help thinking one probably exists already..

Anyone seen anything like this? If so, the name of the publisher would be appreciated!

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
ac-fast
Niepoort LBV

Post by ac-fast »

After I have been looking in my port stuff I found a map over the Douro valley.
Ive got it when i wisti the Symington in VNG last year.

The size is about 70x60 cm - but is not complete. Most of the Quintas on the map is of course Symington Quintas, and others quintas is the most populare.

But still very nice
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

Could you have a close look at that Symington map, and see if there's a publisher's name in small print somewhere?

Thanks.

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

Tom,
It's "Designed and published by Lovell Johns LTD and Sheppard Day" Fifth Edition April 2007
ac-fast
Niepoort LBV

Post by ac-fast »

Have you been looking on my wall ???????? :)

But yep.... exact my words
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

ac-fast wrote:Have you been looking on my wall ???????? :)

But yep.... exact my words
I have my spies all over the world :lol: :lol: :lol:
Actually, I have a few of these fold out maps. I plan on getting one framed sometime soon. They are quite a cool map of the Douro
ac-fast
Niepoort LBV

Post by ac-fast »

Yes, Its a very nice map, I have my map in a frame.

But Its a shame that Its a Symington map... warres,Vesouvio... and so on. - Many of others Quintas is not on the map. Im planning to mark other Quintas with a spot og something.
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

You will also find a map on the site of Rota do Vinho do Porto. You can also get this map in print at every tourist office in the Douro or Porto. But this isn't complete either. Only the quintas that participate in the RVP are listed. And these are usually not the well-known quintas of the bigger producers.

Another option would be to obtain army maps of the area. They are very detailed and probably have the most complete listing of quintas.
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

Thanks Andy, I've emailed Lovell Johns.

- so what do we need in a new map?

Douro valley one side, with Porto and VNG on the reverse seems logical.

Is there a good technical map available that shows the exact current boundary of the demarcated area? - I think the line should be shown.

Too many quintas to list them all, and as this will be a port map, those that are only concerned with wine production should be left off.

Maybe only show quintas that have port bottled under their own name, or welcome visitors.

- other ideas??

Tom
Axel P

Post by Axel P »

Well Ronnie, if you would have called it Airforce maps, I would be with you 100%, since mine is one.

Will hopefully be accesable soon. Again: everyone who wants one, let me know.

Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

OK, here's a first draft of port quintas to include - some of the names are only known to me as names on bottles, so there's a risk I may have inadvertantly included one or two brand names that are not actually quintas..

Agua Alta
Boa Vista
Bomfim
Cachao
Canais
Castelinho
Cavadinha
Corte
Crasto
Eira Velha
Ervamoira
Foz
Gaivosa
Gricha
Infantado
Javali
Jordoes
Junco
Licieras
Madelena
Magalhaes
Malvedos
Marco
Nova de Nossa Senhora do Carmo
Noval
Noval Nacional
Pacheca
Panascal
Passadouro
Peca
Pintas
Portal
Retiro Novo
Roeda
Romaneira
Romariz
Roriz
Rosa
Rosa Inferno
Sagrado
Santa Julia
Seguro
Senhora da Ribiera
Sibio
Silval
Tecedeiras
Tedo
Terra Feita
Tua
Vale d'Acor
Vale Dona Maria
Vale Meao
Valle Longo
Vargellas
Vau
Ventozelo
Vesuvio
Vista Alegre

- Errors and omissions please!

Tom
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

Quinta de Santa Eufemia, which may or may not be the same vineyard as Casa de Santa Eufemia. They used to be the same, but there was apparently some sort of falling out within the family and so there was some sort of split. As I recall, the vineyard is a few kilometers west of Regua on the south side of the river.

I have a bottle of the 1973 Casa de Santa Eufemia white Colheita.

Quinta de la Rosa refers to itself as "la Rosa" and not just "Rosa" when you're talking to the owners. Vale do Inferno used to be a separate Quinta, but it was acquired by Quinta de la Rosa and is occasionally used as a brand name now. I have a vague memory of being told that the brand name is only used for wines now, but it's a very vague memory so I could easily be mangling the memory.

Ramos Pinto bottles a single Quinta 20-yr Old Tawny at Quinta do Bom Retiro.
Glenn Elliott
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

Oh, can't forget Quinta de Nápoles either.
Glenn Elliott
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

uncle tom wrote:OK, here's a first draft of port quintas to include - some of the names are only known to me as names on bottles, so there's a risk I may have inadvertantly included one or two brand names that are not actually quintas..
Noval Nacional

- Errors and omissions please!

Tom
:roll:
Ernest H. Cockburn
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

Glenn E. wrote:Quinta de Santa Eufemia, which may or may not be the same vineyard as Casa de Santa Eufemia. They used to be the same, but there was apparently some sort of falling out within the family and so there was some sort of split. As I recall, the vineyard is a few kilometers west of Regua on the south side of the river.

I have a bottle of the 1973 Casa de Santa Eufemia white Colheita.
I think it was some sort of inheritance plan: the entire business was split into two for two branches of the family, down to the reserves (which is why it's possible to get the white Colheita bottled under both names). I dare say that they split the vineyard, as both branches seem to still be producing from fairly similar addresses, one as the Casa and the other the Quinta.
DRT wrote:
uncle tom wrote:OK, here's a first draft of port quintas to include - some of the names are only known to me as names on bottles, so there's a risk I may have inadvertantly included one or two brand names that are not actually quintas..
Noval Nacional
Isn't that a bit pedantic, as the Nacional vineyard is a specific place (even if not a quinta in its own right)? :)

Other quintas which have appeared on :tpf: or :ftlop: include:

Baldias
Brunheda
Loureiro
Fojo
Prelada
Nova de Nossa Senhora do Carmo
Mourão

Though none of these are known to me and many (on investigation) may not be producing port any more (and seem to be known from random old colheitas).
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

JacobH wrote:
DRT wrote:
Noval Nacional
Isn't that a bit pedantic, as the Nacional vineyard is a specific place (even if not a quinta in its own right)? :)
No, no, no, no! That is not being pedantic at all. Claiming that Noval Nacional is a Quinta is like saying a bedroom is a house. It isn't. It's just part of one. :‘!’:

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

A few days ago Derek checked a document thoroughly. Today he is being pedantic about what it is to be pedantic. I suspect an imposter.