NV Graham Six Grapes (bottled 2018)

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

NV Graham Six Grapes (bottled 2018)

Post by Andy Velebil »

Graham’s Six Grapes (bottled ~2018). Sweet fruit initially but quickly tempered by a good dose of dusty tannins and acidity. Lovely medium-long finish. A few years in bottle has smoothed out the edges of fresh bottled ones and what is always a good and consistent Ruby Reserve is a touch better. I used to drink a lot of this but haven’t had it in years. I need to get more of this, it really is a good well priced Port.
89/100
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: NV Graham's Six Grapes Port

Post by JacobH »

How do you think it compares to the other mainstream Ruby Reserves (e.g. the Cockburn Special Reserve, Fonseca Bin 27 etc.)?

I keep meaning to do a comparative tasting of them at some point!
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

I still think Six Grapes is among the top of the heap for Ruby Reserves. They've consistently done an amazing job with this. It still remains the Port I've consumed the most of over my lifetime.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

JacobH wrote: 12:18 Wed 05 May 2021 I keep meaning to do a comparative tasting of them at some point!
We did this several years ago. There were several blind tastings held across the US and one in London, with the initial reason for the tasting being to compare Graham's Six Grapes with Noval Black. Once that had been arranged, the usual happened - the tastings grew in size and number and we ended up with a reasonably comprehensive analysis of the easily available Ruby Reserves in the US.

What surprised everyone is that the two Ports originally chosen for the tasting because they were thought to be the best available both finished mid-pack.

What shocked everyone is that Taylor's First Estate won (or tied for the win in) every tasting in which it was present.

Ruby Reserve Taste-Off
Ruby Reserve Taste-Off 2.0 (Highbridge, NJ only)
Glenn Elliott
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

Glenn E. wrote: 23:24 Wed 05 May 2021What surprised everyone is that the two Ports originally chosen for the tasting because they were thought to be the best available both finished mid-pack.

What shocked everyone is that Taylor's First Estate won (or tied for the win in) every tasting in which it was present.
Thanks for this. It’s a very long time since I tried the Taylor’s Ruby Reserve but I remember it being quite drinkable, especially in the days when the Taylor LBV was rather average. It would be interesting to try again since I am sure they are all slowly adjusting their blends.
Chris Doty
Graham’s Malvedos 1996

Post by Chris Doty »

Fwiw this was the first port I ever tried.

Spring break Lisbon 2005 (my cousin Heather and I saw “crash” with Portuguese subtitles - all them jokes be lost in translation. Two of us be laughing and entire audience be like ... ?que)

I’ve since been won over by Noval Black in this price range, but I always like seeing this bottle in a shop window.
Chris Doty
Graham’s Malvedos 1996

Post by Chris Doty »

https://winelibrary.com/wines/port-vari ... lack-50481

$16, no tax and free shipping to NY? Yeah Gary V, let’s waive in a case or two!

Summer time day drinking port = underrated