1985 Calem

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

1985 Calem

Post by jdaw1 »

Cá85, from half, bought from Vintage Wine & Port. Decanted 15:00, when nosing of strawberries. At D + 2½hr: dark red, 70% opaque. dry throughout the palate, with dark cherries. Smooth, full sized, late very dry, almost stringent. Despite the colour this is at its peak now, and will become hollow if allowed to wait. This is good Port, in the Portuguese style.

The wine merchant’s website correctly describes this (politely not noticing the spelling):
beautiful and intense brick red colour with nuances of tawny on the edge. The nose denotes intense and persistent aromas of red berries, black cherry alcohol and blueberry. On the palate this is drier style than most of the the English shippers. There is good mouthfeel, high acidity and resolved tannins. A little sour cherry and redcurrent makes this an interesting twist. Persistent finish.
Except that I disagree with
Still has ageing potential.
Will W.
Taylor’s LBV

Re: 1985 Calem

Post by Will W. »

The '85 Calem appears frequently at auction in Portugal and can be had for very reasonable tariffs (i.e., circa 35-40 bottle); like Julian, I find it makes for most agreeable drinking. Indeed, I try always to have some on hand in the cellar, to which end I purchased a few bottles only last week. The 1983 Calem is likewise quite agreeable. As jdaw notes, the '85 is at its peak, as is the '83; in my estimation, both will rest comfortably on their current plateaus for up to another decade. They do well with minimal decanting time; two to four hours will suffice. The only fly in the Calem ointment where these two years are concerned is that the bottles are oftentimes not terribly well sealed, though I have found that a bit of wax does the trick.
MigSU
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Post by MigSU »

Will W. wrote: 20:56 Wed 19 May 2021 The '85 Calem appears frequently at auction in Portugal and can be had for very reasonable tariffs (i.e., circa 35-40 bottle); like Julian, I find it makes for most agreeable drinking. Indeed, I try always to have some on hand in the cellar, to which end I purchased a few bottles only last week. The 1983 Calem is likewise quite agreeable. As jdaw notes, the '85 is at its peak, as is the '83; in my estimation, both will rest comfortably on their current plateaus for up to another decade. They do well with minimal decanting time; two to four hours will suffice. The only fly in the Calem ointment where these two years are concerned is that the bottles are oftentimes not terribly well sealed, though I have found that a bit of wax does the trick.

Bring one of these up ( :twisted: ), it's one that has always evaded my radar.
Will W.
Taylor’s LBV

Post by Will W. »

MigSU wrote: 00:35 Thu 20 May 2021
Will W. wrote: 20:56 Wed 19 May 2021 The '85 Calem appears frequently at auction in Portugal and can be had for very reasonable tariffs (i.e., circa 35-40 bottle); like Julian, I find it makes for most agreeable drinking. Indeed, I try always to have some on hand in the cellar, to which end I purchased a few bottles only last week. The 1983 Calem is likewise quite agreeable. As jdaw notes, the '85 is at its peak, as is the '83; in my estimation, both will rest comfortably on their current plateaus for up to another decade. They do well with minimal decanting time; two to four hours will suffice. The only fly in the Calem ointment where these two years are concerned is that the bottles are oftentimes not terribly well sealed, though I have found that a bit of wax does the trick.

Bring one of these up ( :twisted: ), it's one that has always evaded my radar.
Consider it done