NV Wine Society Crusted 2013

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
winesecretary
Fonseca 1980

NV Wine Society Crusted 2013

Post by winesecretary »

A good long cork that came out with a satisfying pop. Test glass after 15 minutes. And, another test glass after 30 mins.

95% opaque, red rim. Still glass-staining.

Gorgeous cool violets TN nose, strongly reminiscent of recent Niepoort Crusteds.

In the mouth warmer and richer, and with darker sweet fruits, than the nose would suggest. A fair bit of warmth towards the voluptuous finish but that then resolves to dark chocolate ganache and prunes and eventually calms down to a sort of ongoing tingly cola space dust thing from about 45 seconds out.

From SFE. Apparently a blend of 2009, 2010 & 2011. What did they use to make this? Given how much SFE didn't release in 09 and 10, many good things. Blind I would probably take it for a fairly young Graham's VP from a vintage not built for the very long haul. If you have a taste for lush fruity port, it's deeply pleasurable.

And it is £99 for six. This is barely more than Waitrose are charging for Taylor's LBV. It is insanely cheap. I have just bought another dozen bottles. I might even go back and buy more. I look forward to drinking one every few months over the next half-decade.