1955 Taylor

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Delinquent
Cockburn’s Special Reserve

1955 Taylor

Post by Delinquent »

light red with a touch of orange. Immediately cherries and plum in the nose. Sweet, oily - strawberries. Some heat in the finish a tad chocolate and leather. Extremely nice mouthfeeling. After 3 Days it was at it's peak. Tasted over 8 days... on day 3 there was a nice honey note, grapes and even creamier - lot the heat completely.
THE best Port I've had so far! 97/100
Delinquent

Re: 1955 Taylor

Post by Delinquent »

Picture of the label...
Attachments
T55.jpg
T55.jpg (214.97 KiB) Viewed 1875 times
Screagle

Post by Screagle »

In the late mid to late 90's I picked up a three-bottle lot of unlabelled VP - believed Taylor's - from one of the London auctions houses, most likely Christie's. At a family reunion and in the presence of a brother-in-law claiming Taylor's heritage I decided to take the plunge and open a bottle. Guess what, it was Taylor's VP 1955 as identified by the driven cork. BiL was impressed as it was his birth year. Well, it slipped down a treat so the next two bottles were swiftly dispatched also identified by cork. Unfortunately, no bottles or tasting notes remain...

Cheers
Delinquent

Post by Delinquent »

Nice story - fun fact, I bought my bottle at auction as well :)
Besides the handwriting on the Label, mine had a stamp on top of the wax seal, so I was certain of its origin.