2013 Quinta do Portal LBV

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
akzy
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

2013 Quinta do Portal LBV

Post by akzy »

A sample provided by GEAG on 20/10/21 and requiring a tasting note! Enjoyed on 23/10/21.

Deep, dark, mildly murky crimson in the glass. It's been a while since I've had some young Port so it was a pleasure to be greeted on the nose with a wonderful, rich, forrest fruit bomb; cherries leading the way. This was a very smooth Port - did this go straight from a freshly opened bottle to the sample jar? Either way, it was a very easy drinker at this stage. Big initial hit sour cherry hit which very quickly reduces in intensity to a mild toffee with a little bit of the sourness remaining (quite pleasant actually) - given the time of year, makes me think of a toffee apples!
Overall, a really lovely LBV and would happily have again.

*eagerly awaits the other reviews or some sinister reveal*
winesecretary
Fonseca 1980

Re: 2013 Portal LBV

Post by winesecretary »

It had had 24 hours (opened, sampled and recorked) in the 'fridge before sample drawn off - should have said. Glad you enjoyed it! My note on the same bottle is about 25 posts down the page... Bottled 2017.
M.Charlton
Taylor’s LBV

Post by M.Charlton »

With my thanks to George, this wine was very much enjoyed on 21.10.21. Fantastically dark and viscous wine. Purple/red rim – with long purple legs in the glass. Huge levels of fruit on the nose, dominated by black cherries and blackcurrants, with very little heat. The palate was very rich, balanced nicely with acid from more dark red fruit. Long aftertaste (revealing some minty/eucalyptus goings on?). Damn good stuff.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

It's a while since I've had one but the Portal LBVs are usually very high quality. I'd feel a bit guilty at drinking one so young!