Wednesday 26 May 2021 – A Virtual Blind Tasting

Organise events to meet up and drink Port.
CPR 1
Graham’s Malvedos 1996

Re: Wednesday 26 May 2021 – A Virtual Blind Tasting

Post by CPR 1 »

A most enjoyable and excellent evening, huge thanks to Harry for making it happen. It was such a treat to have 6 excellent and different ports in front of me again, I have really missed this :tpf:
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

CPR 1 wrote: 08:58 Thu 27 May 2021 A most enjoyable and excellent evening, huge thanks to Harry for making it happen. It was such a treat to have 6 excellent and different ports in front of me again, I have really missed this :tpf:
Absolutely; the samples were in excellent condition with only one (G75) showing more acidity than expected based on Harry's experience with previous bottle from the same case, and we had an interesting variety of ports - showing us exactly what we miss by not having the informals together. Charles gets a special mention not just for scoring highest on guesses, but also for precisely guessing the T85 blind - whereas I was as rubbish as anticipated, scoring only twice as much as the UK at Eurovision. Many thanks to Harry for the ports, the organisation, and an excellent evening.
rich_n
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Re: RE: Re: Wednesday 26 May 2021 – A Virtual Blind Tasting

Post by rich_n »

PhilW wrote:
CPR 1 wrote: 08:58 Thu 27 May 2021 A most enjoyable and excellent evening, huge thanks to Harry for making it happen. It was such a treat to have 6 excellent and different ports in front of me again, I have really missed this :tpf:
Absolutely; the samples were in excellent condition with only one (G75) showing more acidity than expected based on Harry's experience with previous bottle from the same case, and we had an interesting variety of ports - showing us exactly what we miss by not having the informals together. Charles gets a special mention not just for scoring highest on guesses, but also for precisely guessing the T85 blind - whereas I was as rubbish as anticipated, scoring only twice as much as the UK at Eurovision. Many thanks to Harry for the ports, the organisation, and an excellent evening.
To echo Phil's thoughts, I very enjoyed trying some excellent port, none of which I had previously had the pleasure of tasting. Thanks so much to Harry for organising and generously sharing some delicious wines!
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Post by flash_uk »

Many thanks to Harry for generously sharing 6 bottles with us, and superb organisation! Agree with Charles, great to have a range of lovely ports to taste.
Doggett
Morgan 1991

Post by Doggett »

flash_uk wrote: 17:24 Thu 27 May 2021 Many thanks to Harry for generously sharing 6 bottles with us, and superb organisation! Agree with Charles, great to have a range of lovely ports to taste.
I agree with all the positive comments that have followed this tasting. Wonderful company, wonderful port, wonderful to have a mix of VPs…and some mature VP too. Huge thanks to Harry for his kind generosity and fantastic organisation. It was probably our first ‘virtual emergency’ and it was very good fun with some lovely juice.
rich_n

Post by rich_n »

We also learned that the Tesco TTD '03 is a decent port at £20 a bottle!
hadge
Niepoort LBV

Post by hadge »

I'm really pleased with how the tasting went and how the samples held up in a 2 day decant plus being shipped around the country!

thank you all to for your kind words and great fun was had by all

please hold on to the sample bottles and boxes, as i think that i will want them back but in no rush, as we might do another one of these in the future, even with us soon being able to get together in London.
MigSU

Post by MigSU »

rich_n wrote: 18:42 Thu 27 May 2021 We also learned that the Tesco TTD '03 is a decent port at £20 a bottle!
SFE?
Doggett
Morgan 1991

Post by Doggett »

I am just trying to catch up with my notes on tastings and for this one I have scores/notes and wine number but apart from 3 not the what the bottles were. Harry - are you or any of the other attendees able to confirm the bottles we were lucky enough to taste. many thanks in advance.
hadge
Niepoort LBV

Post by hadge »

The line up was,

Grahams 1975 - B2
Warre's 1975 - B5
Taylor 1985 - B3
Martinez 1994 - B1
Smith Woodhouse 1997 - B6
Tesco Vintage Port 2003 - B4

I will try and dig out the score card.
hadge
Niepoort LBV

Post by hadge »

I'm looking at holding another one of these in the new year.
rich_n

Post by rich_n »

hadge wrote:I'm looking at holding another one of these in the new year.
I would love to be involved again, the last one was a lot of fun!