2011 Horizontal - London, Sunday 23rd April 2051

Organise events to meet up and drink Port.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: 2011 Horizontal - London, Sunday 23rd April 2051

Post by jdaw1 »

Justin K wrote: 21:24 Fri 21 May 2021Just gone from a Fonseca LBV to a Taylor's; is that not a demotion?
See Cruz Ruby Revisited.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

DRT wrote: 21:17 Fri 21 May 2021Julian, the organisation of this tasting is a mess, can you please sort it out? Hurry along man, there is no time to lose!
Lordy: is it time to take the food order? Should I assume that we will all still have teeth?

From The Code of Health and Longevity (1818), by Sir John Sinclair, page 123:
It is a custom, which almost universally prevails in the northern parts of Europe, to present a dram, or glass of liqueur, before sitting down to dinner. It answers the double purpose of a whet to the appetite, and an announcement that dinner is on the point of being served up. As the practice has continued so long, most probably it has been found to answer the first of these objects, or at least to do no harm; and the other has the convenience attached to it, of letting those of the company engaged at cards or billiards know, that they should stop, without beginning a new game or party. Along with the dram, is presented on a waiter, little square pieces of cheese, slices of cold tongue, and dried toast, accompanied with fresh caviar, &c.

A celebrated physician, when far advanced in life, found a similar stimulus necessary. After his dinner, which consisted chiefly of broths and fish, (as he could not eat animal food from want of teeth), he drank a pint of port daily, and concluded with a wine glass filled with white sugar and as much rum as it could hold; so that he had fully half a glass of spirit. The same dose was taken every morning about twelve o’clock; and if visiting at that hour, he was accustomed to call for it, as regularly as when he was at home. It was never understood that his health suffered from that practice.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote: 21:36 Fri 21 May 2021
DRT wrote: 21:17 Fri 21 May 2021Julian, the organisation of this tasting is a mess, can you please sort it out? Hurry along man, there is no time to lose!
Lordy: is it time to take the food order? Should I assume that we will all still have teeth?
Starter:Soup
Main: Soup
Savoury: Soup
Dessert: Custard
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Glenn E. wrote: 19:13 Sat 15 May 2021 Are we reconfirming again? I reconfirm!
I reconfirm.
Ernest H. Cockburn
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

DRT wrote:
Glenn E. wrote: 19:13 Sat 15 May 2021 Are we reconfirming again? I reconfirm!
I reconfirm.
As do I.
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

I'm not dead yet. I reconfirm.
differentdave
Fonseca LBV

Post by differentdave »

I can reconfirm both my and my sons attendance. Have been itching to taste a few of the 11's this year but must show restraint. I will be celebrating my 80th birthday shortly after this offline -- My father lived to 82 and was enjoying wine until the end, I am pumped!
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

differentdave wrote: 20:12 Tue 25 May 2021I can reconfirm both my and my sons attendance. Have been itching to taste a few of the 11's this year but must show restraint. I will be celebrating my 80th birthday shortly after this offline -- My father lived to 82 and was enjoying wine until the end, I am pumped!
Most all of us have offspring. If signing on children were allowed, there would be many dozens of my-daddy-signed-me-up-for-this. A policy decision has been taken that this isn’t fair (DRT ruling). The seats belong to Port enthusiasts, giving some amount of priority to those who signed early, and some amount of priority to those with bottles. Offspring who are genuinely enthusiastic about Port will have to charm their own way into the event.
Justin K
Niepoort LBV

Post by Justin K »

Julian, not wishing to sart an argument with you regarding non attendance of offspring but you're being a bit hasty. Wouldn't it be good idea to have someone to catch the dribbles and generally keep an eye on us (medical training not obligatory but a definite plus)? I'm also a bit worried about those narrow stairs, I don't want to risk my hip and knee replacement replacements; a young strong she, he or it would come in handy. I think Derek may have to look into this.
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

Justin K wrote: 21:28 Wed 26 May 2021 Julian, not wishing to sart an argument with you regarding non attendance of offspring but you're being a bit hasty. Wouldn't it be good idea to have someone to catch the dribbles and generally keep an eye on us (medical training not obligatory but a definite plus)? I'm also a bit worried about those narrow stairs, I don't want to risk my hip and knee replacement replacements; a young strong she, he or it would come in handy. I think Derek may have to look into this.
I believe the organiser already authorised the presence of a nurse; Julian's objection is I think to someone's suggestion of seats passing by inheritance instead of to TPF reserve list, rather than to preclude assistance.
MigSU
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Post by MigSU »

Offspring as a +1: yes.
Offspring as a replacement: no.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

MigSU wrote: 23:22 Wed 26 May 2021Offspring as a +1: yes.
So bring one of mine as my +1, who thereby takes the seat of a genuine Port enthusiast? No.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

My reading of the rules:

Anyone who wishes to attend and drink (hereinafter a "drinker") must have their own account here on TPF and sign up separately. Accommodations for industry guests to be arranged by the organizer (DRT) or his duly appointed representative (jdaw1).

Others may attend as aids to the drinkers, but do not receive their own portions, and their attendance is subject to the capacity of the event room once that has been determined. Whether or not their drinker shares a sip with them is entirely at the drinker's prerogative.
Glenn Elliott
MigSU
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Post by MigSU »

jdaw1 wrote: 18:41 Thu 27 May 2021
MigSU wrote: 23:22 Wed 26 May 2021Offspring as a +1: yes.
So bring one of mine as my +1, who thereby takes the seat of a genuine Port enthusiast? No.
Well, I was operating under the assumption that the offspring was also a Port enthusiast (but not a member of TPF, so can't sign themselves up for this). Otherwise they'd have no interest, and would only be there as a care worker (in which case they could be excluded from imbibing any Port at all).
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

This tasting was started with the default process for handling people. That process copes well with the then-usual outcome, in which about fourteen would want to attend, a short waitlist holding the others. It has become clear that such a process isn’t robust to a tasting being announced 37¾ years before the event.

As that process doesn’t work, I will soon be announcing a change. This is its proto-announcement, in that it can be changed in the light of reasoning received.

• The possible attendees are being combined into a single list.
  • Nearer the time, the organiser (originally Derek, now me, but not necessarily remaining me) will select the fourteen attendees. In making that selection, the organiser will have regard to the following.
    • First: Bottles that person would bring.
    • Second: Enthusiasm for Port, at least partly measured by scale and quality of role and presence, both offline and online.
    • Third: pleasurability of company.
    • Distant fourth: timeliness of requesting a place. (This isn’t quite the same as ordering by date of first request: somebody now young who becomes a Port enthusiast might be very timely even if making the request a decade from now.)

Some people hitherto on the list won’t attend by reasons of death or incapability. Others might not attend because the organiser has chosen an attendee thought more suitable. Doubtless those losing by the change won’t like it. Even so, please recognise its broader fairness, and play nice.

— JDAW (new organiser) and DRT (founder organiser).
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote: 21:25 Thu 27 May 2021 This tasting was started with the default process for handling people. That process copes well with the then-usual outcome, in which about fourteen would want to attend, a short waitlist holding the others. It has become clear that such a process isn’t robust to a tasting being announced 37¾ years before the event.

As that process doesn’t work, I will soon be announcing a change. This is its proto-announcement, in that it can be changed in the light of reasoning received.

• The possible attendees are being combined into a single list.
  • Nearer the time, the organiser (originally Derek, now me, but not necessarily remaining me) will select the fourteen attendees. In making that selection, the organiser will have regard to the following.
    • First: Bottles that person would bring.
    • Second: Enthusiasm for Port, at least partly measured by scale and quality of role and presence, both offline and online.
    • Distant fourth: timeliness of requesting a place. (This isn’t quite the same as ordering by date of first request: somebody now young who becomes a Port enthusiast might be very timely even if making the request a decade from now.)

Some people hitherto on the list won’t attend by reasons of death or incapability. Others might not attend because the organiser has chosen an attendee thought more suitable. Doubtless those losing by the change won’t like it. Even so, please recognise its broader fairness, and play nice.

— JDAW (new organiser) and DRT (founder organiser).
Agreed.
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

jdaw1 wrote: 21:25 Thu 27 May 2021This is its proto-announcement, in that it can be changed in the light of reasoning received.
No objections have been received, Indeed, no reasoning at all has been received. Therefore this is henceforth de-proto’d.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

The Rules
  • The possible attendees have been combined into a single list.
  • Nearer the time, the organiser (originally Derek, now JDAW, but not necessarily remaining JDAW) will select the fourteen attendees. In making that selection, the organiser will have regard to the following.
    • First: bottles that person would bring.
    • Second: enthusiasm for Port, at least partly measured by scale and quality of role and presence, both offline and online.
Doggett
Morgan 1991

Post by Doggett »

I was on the verge of moving to a plant based (grape) vegan diet, joining a yoga community and meditating for the next 30 years in the hope of being alive for this tasting, but with no guarantees of a place… bugger that and I shall carry on as was!
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Doggett wrote: 12:15 Sat 28 Aug 2021no guarantees of a place
The best guarantee available is …
Andy Velebil wrote: 03:11 Thu 11 Jul 2013Magnum of 2011 Noval Nacional
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

jdaw1 wrote: 12:52 Sat 28 Aug 2021
Doggett wrote: 12:15 Sat 28 Aug 2021no guarantees of a place
The best guarantee available is …
Andy Velebil wrote: 03:11 Thu 11 Jul 2013Magnum of 2011 Noval Nacional
Hopefully followed closely by all 3 super cuvées! 88)
Glenn Elliott