1993 Royal Tokaji Szt. Tamás

Anything but Port, this includes all wines other than fortified wines (which have their own section) even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
Forum rules
Anything but Port, this includes all non-Port fortified wines even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
akzy
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

1993 Royal Tokaji Szt. Tamás

Post by akzy »

What do you do when your birth year for Port is as bad, and subsequently expensive to get, as 1993? This is something that has kept me worried for a while. Fortunately AHB told me of a suitable alternative, Tokaji. Enter today's wine for a celebration.

Served from the fridge, and allowed to warm for ~30 minutes. This is a dark tokaji, almost like a young tawny in colour. The nose is strong on figs and a sense of something rather sweet coming. This is a very rich wine. On the palate, apricots rule supreme followed by tertiary notes of figs and sultanas. It's a beautiful balance of acidity and sweetness which just lasts on and on.

I'm still sad that it's hard to get '93 Port, but you know what, this will do.

18/20
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: 1993 Royal Tokaji Szt. Tamás

Post by JacobH »

akzy wrote: 21:30 Sat 04 Jul 2020What do you do when your birth year for Port is as bad, and subsequently expensive to get, as 1993? This is something that has kept me worried for a while. Fortunately AHB told me of a suitable alternative, Tokaji. Enter today's wine for a celebration.
I’d never thought of 1993 Port as “expensive”: just unobtainable!

I don’t think I’ve tried a single vineyard tokaji from Royal Tokaji but their blended 5 and 6 puttonyos are fantastic wines and up there with Port for good value.

I was looking covetously at their essencia in Fortnums yesterday. That’s a different story altogether!

Might I respectfully suggest, also, that “birth year” wine is mostly nonsense to run up the prices of weaker vintages? I always celebrate mine with a glass of a nice bottle of Port rather than one from “my” vintage...
akzy

Post by akzy »

JacobH wrote: 19:05 Mon 06 Jul 2020 I’d never thought of 1993 Port as “expensive”: just unobtainable!
Generally its the same thing. That said, occassionally people don't know what they are worth.

The Szt. Tamás is rated as 6 puttonyos. I have a few of the single vineyards from this year in including the Aszu Essencia. As for the '93 Essencia, that is virtually impossible to find. 22 cases produced....
actuary
Cruz Ruby

Post by actuary »

Hi there!

New to these forums, but not a newby to this WoW...world of wines

Just read the 1993 topic and was surprised to see this topic on the 1993 Tokajis.

I do in fact have several bottles in my cellar, since 1993 was a major effort and success in Tokaji (starting with 6puttonyos, going up to AE and Eszencia).

If truly interested in acquiring a bottle or more, contact me via pm.

BTW: true, I have just gone through my papers and can definetely say that Royal Tokaji produced 480 50cl bottles of 1993 Eszencia, each in its own box, and individually numbered with x/480, if this is equalling your mentioned 22 boxes, I can't say.

Doin' the math: 22 cases *12 bottles *0,7l = 184,8l vs. total 480 bottles * 0,5l = 240l
akzy

Post by akzy »

actuary wrote: 17:00 Tue 20 Oct 2020 Hi there!

New to these forums, but not a newby to this WoW...world of wines

Just read the 1993 topic and was surprised to see this topic on the 1993 Tokajis.

I do in fact have several bottles in my cellar, since 1993 was a major effort and success in Tokaji (starting with 6puttonyos, going up to AE and Eszencia).

If truly interested in acquiring a bottle or more, contact me via pm.

BTW: true, I have just gone through my papers and can definetely say that Royal Tokaji produced 480 50cl bottles of 1993 Eszencia, each in its own box, and individually numbered with x/480, if this is equalling your mentioned 22 boxes, I can't say.

Doin' the math: 22 cases *12 bottles *0,7l = 184,8l vs. total 480 bottles * 0,5l = 240l
First things first, welcome to the forum! If you're interested in discussing Port you have certianly come to the right place. A good place to start could be the "Introduction" board where you can say hello and introduce yourself.

In addition, I have sent you a message regarding the Tokaji you have :).
actuary
Cruz Ruby

Post by actuary »

Reply sent.

Good to have been welcomed to the forum - thanks!