2016 Biddenden Ortega

Anything but Port, this includes all wines other than fortified wines (which have their own section) even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
Forum rules
Anything but Port, this includes all non-Port fortified wines even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

2016 Biddenden Ortega

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Those of you who know me well know that English wines are one of my top choices, but I rarely post my tasting notes on them. This is an exception, for an exceptional wine which made me stop and check the bottle.

Biddenden Ortega 2016: a bottle we picked up on the recommendation of a wine shop owner in Canterbury when on holiday in Kent a couple of years ago. 100% Ortega from the vineyards along Gribble Bridge Lane in Biddenden, Kent. A gentle lemon colour, 5% opaque. The nose is stunning, like a well bred and very expensive French classic Chardonnay; expressive, full of fruit and so intense. I don't often stop and say "Wow" when smelling an English wine, but I did with this one. It's fabulous. In the mouth it is full of sweet soft summer fruit, fragrant white cherry with a gently oaked backbone. Lots of lemon acidity on the aftertaste and a deliciously long finish. A very impressive wine. 92/100. I wholeheartedly recomend this wine, which would have been quite capable for aging well for another 5+ years if I hadn't pulled the cork today.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: 2016 Biddenden Ortega

Post by JacobH »

Biddenden is the next village along from Tenterden which is where Chapel Down is so it's obviously a good spot for vines. A nice day out would be to visit both with lunch in the excellent Chapel Down restaurant (book ages in advance at the weekend) and a return trip from Tenderden on the preserved Kent and East Sussex Railway to Bodiam to see the castle.

I have to confess though that despite being to Chapel Down a few times, I've never actually made it to Biddenden to try their wines- they've always given me the impression that they are a little from the old school of English wine making (particularly since I think they make a range of ciders and mead too) which I didn't particularly associate with quality! I will try a bottle of this when I next see it.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

This is the only one of their products I've tried, but given its quality I will happily try other of their wines, ciders or meads.

If anyone is looking for English vineyard restaurant recommendations, I can also suggest Bolney in Sussex. I went there for an early morning business meeting and had a most excellent breakfast when I arrived early.

JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

I bought a bottle of the 2017 from our local wine merchant last week. I had hoped to get some from the vineyard during the Summer when we went to Chapel Down for lunch but they hadn't yet opened following the lockdown.

By way of disclaimer, I don't really do white wine!

The colour is very similar to how AHB describes the 2016- light and lemony. To my nose, this is a bit more restrained than how he describes the 2016: the fruit is there but gently with a good buttery backbone.

In the mouth, it is very enjoyable. I get a mixture of lemons, apples and melon with a very long aftertaste that betrays a little oak. It describes itself as off-dry but the sugar is so well integrated that you barely notice it.

At £12.50 a bottle this is outrageously good value. I keep thinking "perhaps it could do with a bit more of x?" where x is something I would find in a posh £25 French chardonnay, not something made "down the road" from a pretty obscure German grape at half the price.

Apparently there is a limited edition 2018 version from a block of old vines. Worth seeking out, I think.

Thanks very much, Alex, for the recommendation. We'll certainly be buying this again.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I'm so pleased. I really enjoyed the Biddenden Ortega wine and will buy it again when I'm next in Kent; it's really nice to hear that someone else independently has the same opinion of their wine.

winesecretary
Fonseca 1980

Post by winesecretary »

I had a friend who lived close to Biddenden 20-odd years ago. I remember there being a rather nice feather-weight pinot noir...
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

Those light pinot noirs seem to be on their way out these days, at least in Kent. I can think of a few vineyards that used to do them but have now stopped. It's a shame since I thought a lot of them were very drinkable.

Incidentally, I wouldn't be surprised if more pinot noir is now being grown but it is being channelled into sparkling wines rather than reds. For example, Biddenden's most expensive wine looks like a vintage pinot noir blanc de noir-style sparkling wine. They don't seem to do a still red pinot noir any more.

It seems to me there is no reason why both can't be produced- if England is the new champagne, we need our own Bouzy Rogue!
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

Alex Bridgeman wrote: 23:44 Fri 10 Jul 2020 This is the only one of their products I've tried, but given its quality I will happily try other of their wines, ciders or meads.
I recently came across a shop selling their cider and bought a bottle of their dry “Strong Kentish Cider” which is 8.4%. It’s clear & uncarbonated, with very little sweetness. Unusually it is not very sour and has a good tannic grip. I was impressed and would buy it again. It’s rare for me to like Kentish cider: my preference tends towards West Country scrumpy (cloudy, sour, dry & very strong).

Co-incidentally, I also bought from a different shop a bottle of their Howgate “Clearly Juice” which is one of those modern filtered apple juices that looks clear like wine. Despite being advertised a “ripe green apple juiciness, lush and pure, medium dry with a cream texture”, it was almost un-drinkably sweet for me! Might skip that in future...