2015 Sebastiani Late Bottled Petite Syrah (19% fortified wine)

Anything but Port, this includes all wines other than fortified wines (which have their own section) even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
Forum rules
Anything but Port, this includes all non-Port fortified wines even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
rich_n
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

2015 Sebastiani Late Bottled Petite Syrah (19% fortified wine)

Post by rich_n »

This wine was tasted at the winery in California and my memory of it was delightful.

PnP

No sediment which suggests this was filtered (no information on the bottle). Not a great nose, closed with some fustiness. A hint of cherries. Not a particularly attractive flavour, cardboard and heat with a hint of cherries and some medicinal cough syrup. I will allow this to breathe in the hope that it will settle down to something enjoyable.

+ 6 hours

Still not good, as above

+24 hours

Some of the funk has blown away, revealing some medicinal cherries, a hint of very bitter dark chocolate and a spicy black pepper heat in the mid palate. A little tannic grip but also a rather abrupt finish. There’s a sweet caramel/milk chocolate nose that is more akin to a medium aged Tawny, which is rather intriguing and reminds me of tasting this when I was at the vineyard. Still too much funk to allow this to tip into enjoyable but maybe it’s salvageable...

+ 48 hours

Some funk is still hanging around but the fruit is mostly gone now. What’s left is a reminder of apple and blackberry crumble, but it’s very faint. Sadly this might have been a really interesting drink but whatever has tainted it has really prevented me from experiencing that.
Last edited by rich_n on 00:02 Mon 21 Sep 2020, edited 1 time in total.