Alcohol and health

Talk about anything but keep it polite and reasonably clean.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Re: Alcohol and health

Post by djewesbury »

For 'doctor' read 'life coach'.
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I would never do that.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

Derek has often told me how much he values Julian's sensitive intervention.
Cue a post from the guru himself, demonstrating the use some of his carefully-judged motivational phrases, like 'ball of lard' and 'going to die'.
Daniel J.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I think you will find it is a tub rather than a ball, but you are on the right track.
Ernest H. Cockburn
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

DRT wrote:I think you will find it is a tub rather than a ball, but you are on the right track.
See? This level of focused training requires great skill.
Daniel J.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

The BBC, in an article entitled [url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-31109471]Russia: Vodka minimum price cut over economic woes[/url], wrote:Russia has cut the minimum price of vodka in order to try and stop people turning to moonshine, it's reported.

Half a litre of the spirit can now cost as little as 185 roubles ($2.70; £1.80), a reduction of 16% on the previous minimum price of 220 roubles, The Moscow Times website reports. Authorities are hoping the move will stop people consuming illegally distilled spirits, which often have a higher alcohol content. Russia first introduced a minimum price for vodka in 2010, in an attempt to cut binge drinking. But as the economy worsened and prices rose in 2014, more people took to buying illegal alcohol, the website says. Russia's economic woes continue despite government efforts to stabilise the currency. The rouble's value plummeted 41% against the dollar during 2014, pushing inflation up to 11.4%.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Imbibe.com, in an article entitled [url=http://imbibe.com/feature/natures-medicine/21614]Nature's medicine?[/url], wrote: The issue of alcohol and health is far more nuanced than either the drinks industry or the health lobby would have us believe. As the UK heads into January detox, medical expert Dr Erik Skovenborg puts some of the common myths on the subject under the microscope

jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Bloomberg, in an article entitled [url=http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-02-10/that-glass-of-merlot-may-not-actually-be-good-for-your-health]That Glass of Merlot May Not Actually Be Good for Your Health[/url], wrote:Earlier studies contained flaws that exaggerated the health benefits of booze, according to a report in the British Medical Journal. Once corrected, significant positive results were seen in only one group: women over 65 who drank sparingly. And even that result may be problematic, the authors said.

The researchers attempted to improve upon studies that compared the health of drinkers to non-drinkers. Earlier work skewed results in favor of moderate drinking because the studies didn’t distinguish between abstainers and less healthy former drinkers in the “non-drinker” group. The researchers also adjusted for the age of drinkers and other factors such as obesity and tobacco use.

The new analysis showed a possible “minimal” benefit for men between 50 and 64, and a larger benefit for women over 65 who were light drinkers. That result may stem from selection bias, lead researcher Craig Knott of University College London wrote in an e-mail.

“Individuals who participate in studies tend to be particularly healthy relative to comparative individuals in the general population,” he said.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

The entire thread is effectively a 'study of studies'. Shouldn't we send the link to the BMA?
Daniel J.
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

djewesbury wrote:The entire thread is effectively a 'study of studies'. Shouldn't we send the link to the BMA?
You're right, we shouldn't.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

PhilW wrote:
djewesbury wrote:The entire thread is effectively a 'study of studies'. Shouldn't we send the link to the BMA?
You're right, we shouldn't.
Ignorance is blish {hic} :wink:
Daniel J.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

The BBC, in an article entitled [url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-31452735]Binge-drinking continues to fall in young adults[/url], wrote:Binge-drinking among young adults in Britain is continuing to fall, figures from the Office for National Statistics show.

The proportion of this group bingeing at least once a week is now down from 29% in 2005 to 18% in 2013.

It is thought that fewer adults are choosing to drink alcohol and also drinking less when they do.

More than a fifth of UK adults now say they do not drink alcohol at all - a slight increase on 2005.

Men drinking more than eight units of alcohol on their heaviest drinking day in one week are considered to have binged.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

This appeared on my Facebook feed today. I decided not to follow the link on the basis that (a) I never do, and (b) I had seen enough evidence to be convinced...
Screen Shot 2015-04-04 at 15.44.27.png
Screen Shot 2015-04-04 at 15.44.27.png (318.71 KiB) Viewed 17259 times
Should we be grumbling about the use of "may" or should we just consider that by reading this we have collectively given bacon the permission it deserves?
Ernest H. Cockburn
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

"Good show bacon. Do your job."
Daniel J.
mannye
Cheap Ruby

Post by mannye »

Bacon is the food used to make other food better.

So... Bacon good. Alcohol also good now. How long before Woody Allen's "bananas" becomes prophetic and we declare smoking good?

Sent from my TARDIS at the restaurant at the end of the universe while eating Phil.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

mannye wrote:Bacon is the food used to make other food better.

So... Bacon good. Alcohol also good now. How long before Woody Allen's "bananas" becomes prophetic and we declare smoking good?

Sent from my TARDIS at the restaurant at the end of the universe while eating Phil.
Whilst I agree on the bacon, alcohol and, at a stretch, the smoking, I can't agree that "eating Phil" is a good idea :shock:
Ernest H. Cockburn
mannye
Cheap Ruby

Post by mannye »

DRT wrote:
mannye wrote:Bacon is the food used to make other food better.

Whilst I agree on the bacon, alcohol and, at a stretch, the smoking, I can't agree that "eating Phil" is a good idea :shock:
Well that's not what Phil said. He specifically recommended the short ribs. He was right. :)

PhilW

Post by PhilW »

Hi, I'm Phil. May I interest you in parts of my body? :shock:
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

PhilW wrote:Hi, I'm Phil. May I interest you in parts of my body? :shock:
Keep it clean, this is a family forum :wink: :lol:
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

PhilW wrote:Hi, I'm Phil. May I interest you in parts of my body? :shock:
No.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

Are there any parts you've been fattening up for weeks...?
Daniel J.
mannye
Cheap Ruby

Post by mannye »

Haha. That made me shoot wine out of my nose.

PhilW

Post by PhilW »

djewesbury wrote:Are there any parts you've been fattening up for weeks...?
No, but my tongue is thoroughly steeped in port.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

The BBC, in an article entitled [url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-32494852]EU to vote on calorie labels for alcoholic drinks[/url], wrote:The European Parliament is set to vote on whether calorie labels should be put on all alcoholic drinks.

Mandatory labelling is needed to inform consumers and help halt rising rates of obesity, say public health experts.

MEPs will decide later if proposals to introduce calorie labelling for alcohol should be ditched or moved to the next stage.

Food already has calorie information, but most alcohol is exempt.

Alcoholic drinks that contain more than 1.2% alcohol by volume are exempt from EU regulations on nutritional labelling that came in to force in 2011 covering all food and soft drink.

If MEPs vote in favour, it will still take many months or even years before the proposals become law.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

BBC: First Minister Peter Robinson blames lifestyle for heart attack.

Except that the video doesn’t mention VP, nor even alcohol. It does mention working late.