Photographs

Make suggestions and report problems.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Photographs

Post by JacobH »

I see a few posts where people have struggled to upload images. I think this is due to there being an undisclosed maximum file-size which is quite small by the standards of modern digital photographs. After a lot of trial and error, I re-sample down until they are <500KB which generally works.

I also have some difficulties when I have uploaded photographs. Firstly, the “place inline” function seems fairly fragile (in that what is photograph 0 might become photograph 1, making it hard to put multiple photographs in the text of a post). Secondly, when I edit a post which contains photographs it usually seems to delete a few.

In respect of the first issue, I think the newer versions of the upload software that phpBB uses plupload includes a “Shrink Images on Client-Side” function which means that people wouldn’t have to worry about resizing their pictures before attempting to upload them. If that couldn’t be installed, perhaps we could also consider adding a note about the maximum file size (with a warning it is small)? And even, perhaps, increasing it to 1MB or so?

As for the second issue, I am not sure if there are any solutions but I thought I would just flag it up in case someone else has come across it.

Thanks!
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: Photographs

Post by DRT »

Hi Jacob, we plan to upgrade the forum software soon but will wait to let the phpBB community and the developers iron out any teething troubles first. I think the functionality you are looking for is in the release we will upgrade to but if not we can perhaps find another way.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

Sorry: I missed your post. Thanks very much. I’d be amazed if phpBB doesn’t start baking this in to their standard release in the near future since people are taking so many more digital photos than in the past so there is no rush to preempt them.
nac
Fonseca 1980

Post by nac »

JacobH wrote: 12:54 Sat 30 Jan 2021 I see a few posts where people have struggled to upload images. I think this is due to there being an undisclosed maximum file-size which is quite small by the standards of modern digital photographs. After a lot of trial and error, I re-sample down until they are <500KB which generally works.
Also had this problem, so I generally display the image on screen and then use the Snip tool to create a jpg. These are then well within the size limit and don't seem to suffer any quality degradation. This also allows you to crop the image at the same time.