There's no red port left

Anything to do with Port.
Ghandih
Fonseca LBV

There's no red port left

Post by Ghandih »

Apart from being an aide-memoire for which side of a boat is port and on which side of the boat a red buoy light should pass when entering that port...

I'm struck by the large number of tastings that have already taken place this year. I'm also struck by their excellent quality - between us, we have quoffed some belters. [Rather!]

However, all of this makes me worry that, rather too soon, there won't be many of these great bottles left. My cellar runs to a smattering of 85s, so I'm no flippin' use. I hope that some of you out there are preserving your reserves prudently, so that we don't all run out. :cry:

Ghandih
A man who likes vintage ports, and we're not talking Carthage
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Simon,

In a perfect world :roll: , and as a massive generalisation, we should probably focus on the 70's and the 80's. 'Our' Generation of VP. We should dip our toes into the earlier years, as special occasion Ports, left in adequate numbers by previous generations. We should also leave alone the Young Port, to allow this sort of unwritten ethos to be maintained.

Of course it is theoretical rubbish. We have the Americans drinking the kids, and the 'egg snatchers' drinking up as much Older Ports as they can lay their hands on.

I suppose its nice to dream...

Alan
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

However, all of this makes me worry that, rather too soon, there won't be many of these great bottles left.
I've tried working the maths on this one, and, without being too technical, the results surprised me.

There is a market stock excess of 70's and 77's, and to a lesser extent, 63's.

My best calculations suggest that this 'bulge' will continue for a very long time, and that the 70's will not be trading at anything like the prices of the 55's in 15 years time (after allowing for inflation)

But I am less certain about vintages like 1997 and 2000, which may, eventually, become rather scarce.

Tom

PS: Be positive: "There is only red port left" sounds better...

..sod the pink.. :D
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I must admit, there has been rather a lot of very fine port drunk over the last 2-3 weeks. By my count, I have personally seen the execution of 70 bottles (including 2 magnums). :shock:

However, I am confident that our friendly port producers will step up to the plate and will supply sufficient product to keep us going for at least another 2-3 weeks!
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.