Mulderbosch Sauvignon Blanc 2005

Anything but Port, this includes all wines other than fortified wines (which have their own section) even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
Forum rules
Anything but Port, this includes all non-Port fortified wines even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Mulderbosch Sauvignon Blanc 2005

Post by KillerB »

Bought for £9.99 from Waitrose. Had previously from Selfridges for considerably more - do not make this mistake.

This is classic grapefruit and gooseberry Sauvignon Blanc with little extra to make it interesting. I much prefer the floral notes that come with New Zealand SBs but this is adequate if not stunning for the tenner.
Port is basically a red drink
SimonSaysDrink
Fonseca Bin 27

Post by SimonSaysDrink »

I left that Concha Y Toro SB at the Roots' place...I wonder if they tasted it yet? I've heard good things about the Mulderbosch wines, especially their Syrah I think. Glad to hear the SB is a relative standout.
'The quickest way to end world hunger is to make fast food faster.' - William & Harry's Polka-Bot Explosion, Planet Earth's First Touring XBox 360 'Rock Star' Band
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

The Conha y Toro has yet to be drunk.

I usually like the Mulderbosch SB, but I think the Chardonnay is better.
SimonSaysDrink
Fonseca Bin 27

Post by SimonSaysDrink »

Looking forward to hearing what the 5 Euro Wonder tastes like :D . Gotta love those airline miles.
'The quickest way to end world hunger is to make fast food faster.' - William & Harry's Polka-Bot Explosion, Planet Earth's First Touring XBox 360 'Rock Star' Band
ajfeather
Fonseca LBV

Post by ajfeather »

if you like the SA SB style look out for ataraxia, I tried the first vintage and it was lovely.
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

SimonSaysDrink wrote:Looking forward to hearing what the 5 Euro Wonder tastes like :D . Gotta love those airline miles.
It was good, but nothing spectacular. Nowhere near the Mulderbosch, and won't even begin about Cloudy Bay. Would it have been the full price (about 15 euro), I would probably have felt ripped off. For 5 euro though: perfect.
SimonSaysDrink
Fonseca Bin 27

Post by SimonSaysDrink »

Ronnie,

Where are you at right now? Are you still in Dutchland? Or long since departed? Sucks that the SB was lackluster, but maybe we should have expected that. I have never had opportunity to try a Cloudy Bay SB, but based on reports here and abroad, this is something I'll have to put on the 'Must-Do' list.

BTW, Strasbourg this last weekend was spectacurrific! I wish you and the rest of the Dutch gang could have been there. Suuuuuuch good wine, all from more or less unknown, small or utterly independent winemakers in France. But there were also a lot of powerhouses from Burgundy, CdP and one or two top Bdx/Sauternes. We were able to taste some La Tour Blanche Sauternes, which was yet another amazing Sauternes experience for me, not entirely unlike that of the Rieussec. Anyway, wish you could have been there. We're organizing another rendezvous with this expo in Paris the 28-31 of March. Should be good times...
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

SSD: just sent you an e-mail.
SimonSaysDrink
Fonseca Bin 27

Post by SimonSaysDrink »

Ronnie, if you still have your e-mail saved, can you send it to my house? ezatc123@yahoo.com I won't be at work until next Wednesday. I have a good, good friend from high school coming with his wife to visit us for a little less than a week. Cologne, Bingen, Heidelberg, the eastern stuff really, at least for this trip (and w/ the exception of Heidelberg of course).
Thanks--SSD