1966 Fonseca

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

1966 Fonseca

Post by jdaw1 »

To mark the occasion of Mr Wolfgang Starz having become British, some of his new compatriots gathered at The Boot & Flogger to drink Port Fit for a New Subject of Her Majesty.

Links:
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: 1966 Fonseca

Post by jdaw1 »

F66 (decant time not recorded by me). Dark red, 80% opaque. Lordy, it’s 51⅓ years since the harvest, and look at that colour! Palate of plums, heat, and good sweetness. A touch hollow mid-palate, which for me had it behind the T66, but another excellent Port.
WS1
Cruz 1989

Re: 1966 Fonseca

Post by WS1 »

The decant time was 4:30 AM after being opened the night before at 9:30PM. On your observation "a touch hollow mid-palate" I could agree with but I consider this rather a strength given it is still a port which is far to young. If I had not opened it so early you would have tasted rough edges you can find in a nineties port. Sadly the F66 is scarcer than F63 which will make it very expensive going fwd.
Taste wise I like most the super attractive umami sweet cherry flavor. I did not notice so much plums since fruit profile rather red fruits for me. Excellent structure, complexity and balance in the presence of a long finish. The bt was a high fill bt and the cork came out in one piece which indicates excellent cellaring after 51 years. All in all sadly a "a bit closed up" excellent port with a long life ahead that already tastes fantastic.
"Sometimes too much to drink is barely enough"
Mark Twain