The terrible year 2020

Anything to do with Port.
Sten
Cockburn’s Special Reserve

The terrible year 2020

Post by Sten »

Dear Friends,
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

During this terrible Corona times we have in the family decided to try to taste a new Vintage Port every week-end on the terrace – keeping the distance safe. Sorry to say we have not managed to do so every week-end but since the 27th of March we have been tasted > 65 new ports. We have really enjoyed these week-ends sometimes started with a nice bottle of Champagne!
We will try to continue these week-end as long as the corona is still here and we have now moved inside. Hope you will do the same. We have also had a Great Tasting of the vintage 1985 with 59 different houses and a Ferreira tasting with 16 vintage 1927 to 1991 during the autumn in September when we were allowed to do so.
See our web-site if you are interested in Tasting notes: vintageport.se

Sten Ivarsson, Jörgen Bergengrip. Stefan Sällberg
Malmö
Sweden
Doggett
Morgan 1991

Re: The terrible year 2020

Post by Doggett »

Dear Sten and all involved with vintageport.se

It has been a challenging year indeed, but it is good to hear that you have still managed to taste some fine port, and I shall look forward to reading the tasting notes. It is a shame not to have been able to see you at the b.f.t. Or any of the planned tastings, particularly the 1970 horizontal spectacular, but I hope we shall see you to share some fine glasses in 2021 and beyond.

Skål and best Christmas wishes to you all.
Simon
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by Axel P »

Dear Sten, Stefan and Jorgen.

Wow, this is a great achievement.

I have managed to drink something from 1970 every week and had a champagne sunday every second week, where we had many surprises (just between 4 persons and 2 bottles of champange every time - at least vintage champange).

The best thing however were spontaneous blind tastings with a neighbour - we opened a bottle of wine or Port each and filled half of it in a bottle and gave this blind to the other. Two times we had the same producer without knowing (Beychevelle 83 and 98 and Lafite 95/Carruades 99). Great testing yourself.

So Corona seems not so bad to us winedrinkers after all. Anyways, I miss the tastings in presence.

Guten Rutsch and lets cross fingers that 2021 will get "more to normal"
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

Sten wrote: 12:57 Thu 24 Dec 2020During this terrible Corona times we have in the family decided to try to taste a new Vintage Port every week-end on the terrace – keeping the distance safe. Sorry to say we have not managed to do so every week-end but since the 27th of March we have been tasted > 65 new ports. We have really enjoyed these week-ends sometimes started with a nice bottle of Champagne!
I’m glad that it is not just me who has taken the “opportunity” to try new Ports due to coronavirus. For example, in 2019 (which was a bad year for me, Port-wise), I only tried 3 new Ports; between March and December 2020, I managed 49 new ones which must be a record for a year when I didn’t attend any walk-around tastings.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Sten wrote: 12:57 Thu 24 Dec 2020since the 27th of March we have been tasted > 65 new ports.
Impressive without the ‘new’. But really impressive with new. Doubtless all were in the book.
Axel P wrote: 18:51 Thu 31 Dec 2020I have managed to drink something from 1970 every week
You also live well.

May ’21 be better.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

jdaw1 wrote: 17:09 Sun 10 Jan 2021
Sten wrote: 12:57 Thu 24 Dec 2020since the 27th of March we have been tasted > 65 new ports.
Impressive without the ‘new’. But really impressive with new. Doubtless all were in the book.
Wouldn’t that mean they have to be both <1986 and Vintage Port? Triply impressive if so!
Sten
Cockburn’s Special Reserve

Post by Sten »

When I write new Port I mean we have not writing tastings notes on our web-stie www. vintageport.se. Sorry if I write something wrrong. New is "new for us".
Kind Regards
Sten