1986 Taylor Terra Feita

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
winesecretary
Fonseca 1980

1986 Taylor Terra Feita

Post by winesecretary »

A bottle, one of three purchased at auction, which had a protruding cork and was therefore executed fairly shortly after arrival. Cork fell into bottle rather than accepting the corkscrew. Decanted out very clean, very little sediment.

+ 1 hour Dark cherry, 50% opaque. Very strong aroma of sachertorte with some additional poached cherry sauce. Fair whack of spirit on nose too. On palate, strikingly congruent with the nose; cherries and chocolate cake, the chocolate all very smooth; the same all the way through to the medium-length finish. Fully mature, and a real pleasure to drink.

+ 24 hours Very much glace black cherry dominated, nose palate and finish. Some very plummy fruit cake notes throughout also. The chocolate has faded. Delicious port.

I am very glad I have a couple more bottles of this.
Chris Doty
Graham’s Malvedos 1996

Re: 1986 Taylor Terra Feita

Post by Chris Doty »

I’ll say it till I’m blue, 1986 is THE sleeper vintage in port.

2000 is second.

1970 is universally known at this point, and is still dirt cheap

2011 isn’t “cheap”, but you can get basically anything you want (except Quevedo)

Thanks for the share!

Next try the Gm and Fg
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Re: 1986 Taylor Terra Feita

Post by Axel P »

I was a bit disappointed in the past by some of the 86s, but they are coming around very nicely lately. Thanks for sharing
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com