Graham’s Single Harvest Tawny Tasting with Charles Symington and VWP

Organise events to meet up and drink Port.
Doggett
Morgan 1991

Graham’s Single Harvest Tawny Tasting with Charles Symington and VWP

Post by Doggett »

EDIT: Please note this has now been scheduled for April 15th

Those wonderful folk at Vintage Wine & Port have a wonderful virtual tasting for us on 15th April 2021 (originally planned for 18th March). Charles Symington will present five of their single harvest tawnies. The cost is only £49.95 for the 5 x 5cl bottles. Please see Below for the full description from the VWP site and link with all the info and conditions. I have bought mine and look forward to seeing you there.

Simon

Description
We are delighted to offer another exclusive Grahams tasting as part of our Taste at Home series of events.

Charles Symington, head wine-maker for Graham's will guide you through a live online tasting of 5 x 5cl bottles of their delicious Single Harvest Tawny Ports.
You can experience the elegance of a 1963 or be one of the first to taste the new 1974 in advance of its release in April. Also included are the 1994 current release; the 1982 limited edition release; and the 1990 which is only available in the Grahams Lodge in Porto.

The full line up is (all 5cl).
1963- The Artisan
1974- New release scheduled for April 2020
1982 –Limited edition release
1990- Lodge Edition
1994- The Apprentice (current stock)

The price for the sample pack is just £49.95 + postage.

These have been bottled by hand by Grahams in Porto. This is a special production for VWP and The bottles are all 5cl which adds up to about 1/3 of a regular bottle. This is slightly smaller than our regular 9cl tastings (Grahams only had 5cl available) and if you intend to share - we would recommend doubling up on the order. We only have 150 packs to share so in order to ensure that as many benefit as possible we are limiting sales to a maximum of five packs per customer.

https://www.vintagewineandport.co.uk/pr ... Port-30000
Last edited by Doggett on 21:01 Mon 08 Mar 2021, edited 6 times in total.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: Graham’s Single Harvest Tawny Tasting with Charles Symington and VWP

Post by JacobH »

This looks like fun. I'm never likely to buy a full sized bottle so it will be nice to try a selection of these Ports. I've bought a box.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

PS. Which TPF member is responsible for the 5 pack per household limit?!
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

JacobH wrote:PS. Which TPF member is responsible for the 5 pack per household limit?!
Now that’s funny (and maybe true?? Lol)
/2alph
Warre’s Warrior

Post by /2alph »

Is shiping to Switzerland possible?
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

/2alph wrote: 08:41 Tue 02 Feb 2021 Is shiping to Switzerland possible?
Ralph - it used to be before Brexit started properly at the beginning of this year. Maybe give the guys at VW&P a call?
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
nac
Fonseca 1980

Post by nac »

I’m assuming that a fair few TFPers will be doing this, so probably makes sense to have the planned virtual tasting for that same evening as a post-tasting tasting with a Grahams theme. I’ll update the planner.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

Shipping to the US is possible, so I assume that they can also ship to Switzerland. Unfortunately it is more expensive than the Port to ship it to the US so it doesn't really make sense to do it. :(
Glenn Elliott
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

Glenn E. wrote: 20:59 Tue 02 Feb 2021
Shipping to the US is possible, so I assume that they can also ship to Switzerland. Unfortunately it is more expensive than the Port to ship it to the US so it doesn't really make sense to do it. :(
Oops, no. I went back to look again (thinking that if I ordered 2 packs it would make the shipping less onerous and the serving size more appropriate), but the offer specifically says "We are delighted to offer another exclusive Grahams tasting as part of our Taste at Home series of events. Please note that these are only available to UK Mainland Customers." Emphasis theirs.

So no, it does not appear that they're available in either Switzerland or the US. :(
Glenn Elliott
forest26
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Post by forest26 »

Glenn E. wrote:
Glenn E. wrote: 20:59 Tue 02 Feb 2021
Oops, no. I went back to look again (thinking that if I ordered 2 packs it would make the shipping less onerous and the serving size more appropriate), but the offer specifically says "We are delighted to offer another exclusive Grahams tasting as part of our Taste at Home series of events. Please note that these are only available to UK Mainland Customers." Emphasis theirs.

So no, it does not appear that they're available in either Switzerland or the US. :(
Note that the tasting has been delayed by a week - The packs are now due to land in the UK at the end of Feb leaving only a small window to get them out in time. Brexit has caused significant shipping delays across Europe so it would be unlikely that they would arrive in time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

Would it be possible for me to arrange to purchase 2 packs and not worry about when they arrive? I'd be happy to sip on something else while listening in on the presentation, then taste the Ports later on my own time when they do arrive. It's rather difficult to find these Ports in the US so I'd love to get to try the range even if I can't do so with everyone else.
Glenn Elliott
JKristiansen
Cockburn’s Special Reserve

Post by JKristiansen »

Yes - They have changed the description .. In the beginning it said something like: When ordering to countries other than the UK, we can not guarantee that the package arrives in time before the tasting..

I would have loved to be a part of this tasting, but living in Denmark - I can't be sure to get the package in time

Great Graham's Tawny fan - especially their single harvest collection

Christopher
Niepoort LBV

Post by Christopher »

Very much looking forward to this. A great selection . VWP great job. I really love the 1990 Lodge Edition.
Charles is very good on these talks
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

Glenn E. wrote: 19:54 Thu 04 Feb 2021 Would it be possible for me to arrange to purchase 2 packs and not worry about when they arrive? I'd be happy to sip on something else while listening in on the presentation, then taste the Ports later on my own time when they do arrive. It's rather difficult to find these Ports in the US so I'd love to get to try the range even if I can't do so with everyone else.
i called the retailer about purchasing the max allowed, and reached out the the folks at premium port wines.

No go. US won't approve bringing these in state side due to "illegal" bottle sizes, and the UK won't ship them out.
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz
forest26

Post by forest26 »

Firstly, Let me declare an interest as I organised the tasting.

- all the GSH packs have now gone.

I have organized another tasting with Oscar Quevedo for 31 March - this will be a blend your own tawny - he is supplying four components that go into his 20 year plus the final blend. Should be a fun thing - Only 90 packs will be available - Probably underestimated number. If Simon does not beat me to it I’ll post when we go live. In the pipeline are a small vertical of Quevedo Colheitas and a Kopke showcase (I think this starts with a 57 and includes a 2003 white)

Lots of questions about shipping - it’s really complicated post Brexit as couriers and customs seem to be clamping down on cross border alcohol movements into and out of the UK (even UK to NI is difficult). Easier not to do it at the moment for small shipments. Once the picture becomes clearer I’ll post the guidance we get on a new thread.

US (most states ) is easier than EU - I’ve never heard of ‘illegal bottle sizes’ as a reason not to ship small consignments’. As the timing is a little tight we just decided not to do it (sorry Glenn)
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

forest26 wrote: 12:31 Mon 08 Feb 2021 I have organized another tasting with Oscar Quevedo for 31 March - this will be a blend your own tawny - he is supplying four components that go into his 20 year plus the final blend. Should be a fun thing - Only 90 packs will be available - Probably underestimated number. If Simon does not beat me to it I’ll post when we go live.
Sounds like fun and should be really interesting, I'll be looking forward to it, as I do to the Graham SHT tasting; great job getting these organised, especially with the current shipping hassles - nice one :GoldStar:
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

forest26 wrote:Firstly, Let me declare an interest as I organised the tasting.

I have organized another tasting with Oscar Quevedo for 31 March - this will be a blend your own tawny - he is supplying four components that go into his 20 year plus the final blend. Should be a fun thing - Only 90 packs will be available - Probably underestimated number. If Simon does not beat me to it I’ll post when we go live. In the pipeline are a small vertical of Quevedo Colheitas and a Kopke showcase (I think this starts with a 57 and includes a 2003 white)

Lots of questions about shipping - it’s really complicated post Brexit as couriers and customs seem to be clamping down on cross border alcohol movements into and out of the UK (even UK to NI is difficult). Easier not to do it at the moment for small shipments. Once the picture becomes clearer I’ll post the guidance we get on a new thread.

US (most states ) is easier than EU - I’ve never heard of ‘illegal bottle sizes’ as a reason not to ship small consignments’. As the timing is a little tight we just decides not to do it (sorry Glenn)
Wine and spirit bottle sizes are highly regulated in the USA, though most people don’t realize it. It’s why the old style Tappit Hen bottles are technically illegal to sell here. The regulations just changed recently. Here’s a good overview.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foodan ... 3famp=true
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

Andy Velebil wrote: 15:59 Mon 08 Feb 2021

US (most states ) is easier than EU - I’ve never heard of ‘illegal bottle sizes’ as a reason not to ship small consignments’. As the timing is a little tight we just decides not to do it (sorry Glenn)
Wine and spirit bottle sizes are highly regulated in the USA, though most people don’t realize it. It’s why the old style Tappit Hen bottles are technically illegal to sell here. The regulations just changed recently. Here’s a good overview.

try being an importer/wholesaler =P heh.

I'll see if i can reach out to oscar about bringing in the tawny tasting.

this needs to be done now though, so if folks are interested please let me know and I'll see what I can do to sort out required US paperwork. And btw it will likely be a loss to me on doing this, so if folks are iffy, the answer is no.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

g-man wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote: 15:59 Mon 08 Feb 2021

try being an importer/wholesaler =P heh.

I'll see if i can reach out to oscar about bringing in the tawny tasting.

this needs to be done now though, so if folks are interested please let me know and I'll see what I can do to sort out required US paperwork. And btw it will likely be a loss to me on doing this, so if folks are iffy, the answer is no.
I would like to if able. Weather ends up being more important when shipping bottles here.
forest26

Post by forest26 »

Andy - Thanks for the link - I was not aware of this. I do not believe we have had any bottle size issues on shipping - maybe its more of a selling/retail thing.

It would make a lot of sense for Oscar to ship the packs direct to the US if there was a critical mass. Does he not have an importer?
The next one will be 31 March (Make your own 20 year blend) followed by a Quevedo Colheita vertical about 6 weeks later.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

Regarding the bottle size regulations in the US, I believe that those only apply to selling within or into the US. If I were to, say, buy a set of these from Tony and have them delivered to my account at Seckfords, and then have Seckfords ship them to me using Seabrook Export Services, I should have no problems.
Glenn Elliott
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

FYI i'm in touch with Oscar and his importer. We're working out the details and potential timings right now.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

g-man wrote:FYI i'm in touch with Oscar and his importer. We're working out the details and potential timings right now.
Cool.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Placemats: perhaps they should use the official Graham’s fonts. What are they?
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

Their logo (“W. & J. / Graham’s / established 1820 / Port”) looks like Gill Sans in bold, to me. On the tawnies, it is often outlined in gold or another colour.

On the VPs, the word “Vintage Port” and the date are in Bodoni. On the colheitas, I think they are using Garamond for the date and “Single Harvest”. The date usually has a shadow. Under the words “Single Harvest” there is usually something like “Colheita Port” which seems to be in Gill Sans again with a lot of letter spacing.