Quevedo Garrafeira

Anything to do with Port.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: Quevedo Garrafeira

Post by jdaw1 »

Tomorrow I will be speaking to a glass maker.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

Glenn E. wrote: 00:26 Tue 14 Dec 2021£25 still sounds pretty expensive for an empty bottle, but if you're going to fill it with 15L of Port that's nominally worth at least that per 750ml it doesn't sound quite as bad. Especially if once you're done you can sell that 750ml of juice for $600 like Niepoort is doing!
This all demonstrates I have no idea what I am talking about! I am sure that setting up a garrafeira cellar would be expensive, but comparing the costs to that of a tawny cellar is impossible without knowing: a) what the wholesale costs of those demijohns is: I picked a random consumer website; b) how much a barrel that is suitable for use in tawny production costs a shipper. Plus all the other factors like how many times you can use a barrel for tawny port (and how much the coopering to refurbish it costs) since a glass jar probably has a near-infinite low-maintenance life; whether you are getting your barrels from your table wine production which affects their purchase price; and that a tawny port barrel has a resale value. Huge complexity!
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by Axel P »

As one of the quite few on the planet I once had a complete Garrafeira tasting with Dirk in Germany and these Ports are very much worth looking out for. As soon as the wine-world will understand the scarcity and quality of these Ports, they will increase in price again.

Having said this, I am very much enjoying Dirk's newest edition, the Garrafeira 87.
Garrafeiras.jpg
Garrafeiras.jpg (132.61 KiB) Viewed 1274 times
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com