Portugal Vineyards

Anything to do with Port.
Port_funghifoodie
Cheap Ruby

Portugal Vineyards

Post by Port_funghifoodie »

Hi all. Eager to hear your thoughts on buying from Portugal Vineyards online. Prices seems cheaper than elsewhere and eager to put an order in.
Thanks
MigSU
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Re: Portugal Vineyards

Post by MigSU »

Hi.

It's an interesting website. I've seen things on there that are, as you say, cheaper than most other places, yet some others I've seen outrageously priced (and not in a good way). I have ordered things from there and it went smoothly, but I'm in Portugal, so your mileage may vary.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

I bought a few cheap-ish bottles from them a couple of months ago to see what shipping was like, post Brexit. It was very straight-forward. The wine arrived promptly and within the advertised time scale and a few days later I received an invoice from DHL for the duty & VAT + an £11 handling fee. Remember to include all of these in any cost estimates, together with the shipping, if you are in the UK. I may have been lucky not to be hit with shipping delays since almost everything else is being snarled up but I'd buy from them again, especially oddities that aren't available in the UK.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I recently bought a couple of bottles from Garrafeira Nacional which they shipped to the UK through FedEx. My experience was similar to Jacob's - I was notified by GN the bottles had shipped, a couple of days later I had an invoice for the duty and VAT (and handling charge) from FedEx, I paid these and received the bottles a week or so after paying the duty and VAT.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
Port_funghifoodie
Cheap Ruby

Thanks all. How much is the standard duty on, say, a £20 bottle? Sorry if this is a silly question. Cheers
winesecretary
Fonseca 1980

Post by winesecretary »

£2.89 duty at the moment, the duty is not ad valorem. Then VAT on duty and bottle. So your £20 bottle is £20+£2.89+£4.58=£27.47. Plus the FedEx/DHL handling charge.

Duty rate on port will go up next year when duty rates based on alcohol content come in.
Port_funghifoodie
Cheap Ruby

winesecretary wrote: 09:37 Tue 21 Dec 2021 £2.89 duty at the moment, the duty is not ad valorem. Then VAT on duty and bottle. So your £20 bottle is £20+£2.89+£4.58=£27.47. Plus the FedEx/DHL handling charge.

Duty rate on port will go up next year when duty rates based on alcohol content come in.
Thanks for your prompt reply!
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

My experience of PV has been invariably good.

Their prices for VP are typically Portuguese and consequently out of kilter with prices more normally seen in the UK, but for all other ports and Portuguese wines they are an excellent source. Their product list is immense.
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill