BBR capsule colours

Anything to do with Port.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

BBR capsule colours

Post by jdaw1 »

PhilW has been trying to establish a list of the capsule colours of all BBR-bottled ports for some time, and has sent me the list. Naturally enough, I intend that this will be included in a second edition of the book.

Of course, in an attempt to be thorough, I want to check Phil’s list as much as possible, and extend it.

If you have in your collection any BBR bottlings, so necessarily Vintage ≤1970, pls send both of us pictures showing label and capsule colour. Indeed, for the Vintage Port Image Database, pls send a variety of pictures including whole thing, label, capsule, etc.

Thank you.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: BBR capsule colours

Post by jdaw1 »

Please?
Bertie3000
Cockburn’s Special Reserve

Post by Bertie3000 »

Not sure if this helps but this is the only one I have (apart from a black capsuled BBR bottle with Dow 1960 handwritten on it)
1966 Warre Bottle
1966 Warre Bottle
IMG_2819.jpg (74.21 KiB) Viewed 1750 times
BBR 1966 Warre Capsule
BBR 1966 Warre Capsule
IMG_2816.jpg (74.97 KiB) Viewed 1750 times
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

jdaw1 wrote: 22:50 Sun 16 Jan 2022Please?
I have added a page to the www.vintageport.info site, providing both my latest list of Berry's Own Selection vintage ports and providers, and all currently known (to me) BBR-bottled VP capsule colours (n.b. there are lots more BBR-bottled VPs of which I am aware); please see www.vintageport.info/bbr. The page includes images for almost all capsules as evidence.

Note that while the majority are either my own images or supplied to me with permission for use, a number of the images are also taken from public sources and I'm assuming it is acceptable for me to reproduce them there as part of non-commercial research. I have a large backlog of images for include in the VPID, so while in time it would be possible to generate the above by simply entering "bbr" as a VPID search term, for now I thought I'd create this page in the interim; the image links may be updated at some point once all images are in the VPID.
nac
Fonseca 1980

Post by nac »

Have checked & I've got a few:
- Taylor 70 - pink/salmon capsule
- Tuke Holdsworth 55 - silver/grey
- Dow 60 - black
- Rebello Valente 63 - dark yellow

Will take some decent photos and send them to you.
Will W.
Taylor’s LBV

Post by Will W. »

Rebello Valente 70 was likewise covered by BBR in pink/salmon; I opened a bottle of it earlier this week. It seems that pink was BBR's preferred colour that year - which supposedly made sense in the context of the ludicrous fashion then prevailing - though I do note that Phil's link points likewise to the use of orange on the RV70. Anyhow, I shall have a look at what else I have from BBR (i.e., not much, I believe) when I am next home; and, in the meantime, prepare myself for the familiar ritual of Julian informing me that my first takes are rubbish and I need to try again.
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

Will W. wrote: 23:47 Fri 28 Jan 2022 Rebello Valente 70 was likewise covered by BBR in pink/salmon; I opened a bottle of it earlier this week. It seems that pink was BBR's preferred colour that year - which supposedly made sense in the context of the ludicrous fashion then prevailing - though I do note that Phil's link points likewise to the use of orange on the RV70. Anyhow, I shall have a look at what else I have from BBR (i.e., not much, I believe) when I am next home; and, in the meantime, prepare myself for the familiar ritual of Julian informing me that my first takes are rubbish and I need to try again.
BBR sometimes used more than one colour in the same year; the Fonseca in 1970 was bottled with both the salmon pink, and orang/red capsules; it sounds as though the same was true for RV - I just haven't seen (or been sent a pic) of a salmon pink capped RV70; so if you do have that bottle still, or another like it, photo please! :D