Port and smoked brisket - Texas style

Anything to do with Port.
benread
Niepoort 1977

Port and smoked brisket - Texas style

Post by benread »

I’m hoping Mr Tawny May stop by here and offer some advice as he is well experienced in the matter of (competition) bbq.

My question is what should I drink (port wise) with Texas style brisket? To add to the background info it’s a warm day I’m the U.K.

I was thinking perhaps a slightly chilled Special Reserve (maybe Churchills or Quevedo). Would that work or do you have a better suggestion?

Thank you.

(PS: 6:45am start to the cook!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Ben
-------
Vintage 1970 and now proud owner of my first ever 'half-century'!
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Re: Port and smoked brisket - Texas style

Post by Glenn E. »

For me, red meat goes well with LBV. Depending on how much salt and pepper you use in your Texas style brisket, you can go with a nicely-aged LBV (less salt and pepper) or a young and boisterous one (more salt and pepper).

Of course, VP also works, but I usually prefer to drink those solo and let the LBVs serve as food pairings. And I'm sure a Special Reserve would work as well.

If you were doing something besides Texas style, a tawny can also work but it has to play nicely with whatever sauce you're using.
Glenn Elliott
Mike J. W.
Taylor’s LBV

Post by Mike J. W. »

I'm wondering if something like a 20 y.o. White would go with a smoked brisket. A slow cooked brisket would be soft, and buttery along with a nice smokey quality. The acidity and smoothness of a good 20 yo White might complement it nicely.

More importantly, how did the brisket turn out? How long did you smoke it for? The last brisket I smoked was on the bbq for 10 1/2 hours. It was worth it.
benread
Niepoort 1977

Post by benread »

In the end I had chilled Quinta de la Rosa tawny. It paired quite nicely.

I’m still experimenting with smoking. I gave it 12 hours, of which it was wrapped for about 5. But I think I gave it too much smoke. I use charcoal with wood chips. I need to try’s different approach with the fuel and smoke.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Ben
-------
Vintage 1970 and now proud owner of my first ever 'half-century'!
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

FWIW the meat only takes on smoke for about 1.5-2.5 hours anyway, and it only penetrates around 3/8" no matter how long you leave it on. So the amount of smoke flavor you end up with is determined by 2 things: the volume and clarity of the smoke being generated, and the type of wood you're using to generate it.

Ideally, you're looking for "blue" smoke coming out of the chimney. It's actually white, but it's very thin and often seems to have a blue hue to it. That will give you the cleanest smoke flavor and avoids flavors like soot and creosote. If your smoker is producing clouds of fluffy white smoke, or even worse black smoke, you're probably going to end up with a bitter, astringent flavor that usually isn't pleasant.

Then there's the wood. A lot of barbecue in the US South is made using hickory or mesquite, but those take a lot of skill to use well. I prefer to use pecan because it tastes like hickory but isn't as strong so there's less chance of it tasting too intense. The risk with mesquite is that it will catch fire, because if it catches fire it burns very hot and can scorch your meat. But it's a great flavor if you can make it work. Fruit woods (apple, cherry, etc.) are usually better with chicken or ribs, but I've had plenty of brisket smoked with them as well. Perhaps surprisingly, oak is a very nice, neutral smoke flavor.

I usually go ahead and leave the brisket on the smoke until it's ready to wrap (internal temp of ~165F), though as I said above you're really only "smoking" the meat for 1.5-2.5 hours. After that you're just baking, essentially.
Glenn Elliott
mosesbotbol
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Post by mosesbotbol »

Maple and Apple are popular local woods to use in the North East of USA. The oak up here is much different than in Texas. Use our oak and your BBQ will taste like a campfire.

I like to put food on the smoker for an hour or so and then finish inside in the oven. I like the smell from the wood and meat inside.
F1 | Welsh Corgi | Did Someone Mention Port?
mitchell.washington
Cruz Ruby

Post by mitchell.washington »

Port wine can be a good choice because its sweetness and richness can complement the savory and robust flavors of the brisket. A slightly chilled Special Reserve port, like Churchills or Quevedo, could work well. These ports are typically aged and have a depth of flavor that can match the intensity of the brisket. These ports are typically aged and have a depth of flavor that can match the intensity of the brisket.

To complete your culinary experience, consider pairing your brisket with a side of creamy Alfredo sauce. Here's an easy Alfredo sauce recipe that you can whip up in no time:

Ingredients:

1. 1 cup heavy cream
2. 1/2 cup unsalted butter
3. 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
4. 2 garlic cloves, minced
5. Salt and pepper to taste
6. Optional: a pinch of nutmeg or dried Italian herbs for added flavor

Instructions:
1. In a saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the minced garlic and sauté for about 1-2 minutes until fragrant.

2. Pour in the heavy cream and stir well. Allow the mixture to simmer gently for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until it thickens slightly.

3. Gradually add the grated Parmesan cheese to the sauce while continuously whisking. Continue whisking until the cheese has melted and the sauce is smooth.

4. Season with salt and pepper to taste. If desired, you can also add a pinch of nutmeg or dried Italian herbs for extra flavor. Stir well to incorporate the seasonings.

5. Once the sauce has reached your desired consistency, remove it from heat. The sauce will continue to thicken as it cools.

Now, you have a velvety and delicious Alfredo sauce to complement your savory brisket. Drizzle the sauce over your brisket or serve it on the side for dipping. The creamy texture and delicate flavors of the Alfredo sauce will provide a delightful contrast to the robustness of the brisket, making your dining experience even more enjoyable.