Non Festive Drinking

Anything but Port, this includes all wines other than fortified wines (which have their own section) even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
Forum rules
Anything but Port, this includes all non-Port fortified wines even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
winesecretary
Fonseca 1980

Re: Non Festive Drinking

Post by winesecretary »

2009 Morey St Denis Dujac Pere et Fils

Almost absurdly archetypal Morey. Cherries, chocolate, structure. Admirable fruit. Admirable wine. Rustic in the right way. Ready but will keep five years.

Hurrah for burgundy!
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Post by flash_uk »

winesecretary wrote: 19:55 Sat 17 Sep 2022 2009 Morey St Denis Dujac Pere et Fils

Almost absurdly archetypal Morey. Cherries, chocolate, structure. Admirable fruit. Admirable wine. Rustic in the right way. Ready but will keep five years.

Hurrah for burgundy!
I think I have some 2011. Perhaps one should be explored...
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Another bottle of Jaboulet's Hermitage La Chapelle 1996. I just adore this savoury, meaty wine - like drinking a good venison stew. (Hmm. I have a red deer stew in the freezer which I made the other day...)
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
nac
Fonseca 1980

Post by nac »

Alex Bridgeman wrote: 18:51 Fri 21 Oct 2022 Another bottle of Jaboulet's Hermitage La Chapelle 1996. I just adore this savoury, meaty wine - like drinking a good venison stew. (Hmm. I have a red deer stew in the freezer which I made the other day...)
I still have a few of these. One might need to be sacrificed soon.
winesecretary
Fonseca 1980

Post by winesecretary »

Corton Les Marechaudes 1970. BBR UK bottling. Mid neck.

Colour still dark.

Utterly captivating nose of astonishingly old school Cotes de Beaune complexity - cherries and tea rather than CdN chocolate and iron.

Palate takes you on a journey through fruit, tannin and acid balance. We conclude this must have been virtually undrinkable until about 1990 since it is still full of vif now.

For forty minutes, until it abruptly falls over, this is a truly astonishing wine.

I am still chasing the Burgundian dragon. Sometimes you find it. Very rarely, as here, it doesn't cost the earth. Fifty quid from Straker Chadwick. Hallelujah.
nac
Fonseca 1980

Post by nac »

nac wrote: 23:09 Mon 24 Oct 2022
Alex Bridgeman wrote: 18:51 Fri 21 Oct 2022 Another bottle of Jaboulet's Hermitage La Chapelle 1996. I just adore this savoury, meaty wine - like drinking a good venison stew. (Hmm. I have a red deer stew in the freezer which I made the other day...)
I still have a few of these. One might need to be sacrificed soon.
Decided against 96 and went 97 instead (as hadn't had one for ages, and still had 11 bottles). Very good, very Rhone. Suspect not quite as good as the 96 and definitely not as good as the 88 (which also needs trying again soon).
winesecretary
Fonseca 1980

Post by winesecretary »

2014 Auxey-Duresses 1er Cru Les Bretterins, Domaine Diconne. Another auction purchase, and another delicious bottle of pinot noir. A completely different, but also achingly lovely, expression of the pinot noir grape from the Corton 1970 - lithe, pretty fruit, high-toned and (if one can say this of a Ier Cru burgundy any more) tres glou-glou. Needs no more time. I have ten more bottles. They'll be gone by March.
winesecretary
Fonseca 1980

Post by winesecretary »

Eponyme 2015 is a vanishingly rare (120 magnums for the world) Bourgogne made by Domaine De La Roseraie in Nolay. It's actually 100 per cent Beaune but because it contains 10 per cent white wine it's outside the rules hence the generic (and the defiant name). It's utterly gorgeous serious-yet-joyful lightweight pinot, full of berries and silk, now properly mature. Roast chicken was invented to go with it.
nac
Fonseca 1980

Post by nac »

"Royal" Reserva Rioja 1970 - Bodegas Franco

The first of six bottles acquired a couple of years ago from Laithwaites. Pretty much perfect malla (the fine gold mesh) and front and back labels, so suspect this was some form of library stock release. Level base of neck, with original cork that was fully soaked and disintegrated on removal.

Pale, but definitely red rather than brown, and managed to filter out the bits of cork and the small amount of sediment, so has a lovely clarity. On the nose, unmistakably an aged Rioja, with leather and tobacco, but also some remaining fresh, crisp red fruit. Blind, you'd never guess this is 50+. Palate still has good acidity and some noticeable tannin, but less of the fruit that the nose hinted at. Quite long.

Pretty good, and should be OK for a few more years.
winesecretary
Fonseca 1980

Post by winesecretary »

A half of Munjebel Rosso 2017 from Frank Cornelissen - 2017 being the best of the vintages I tasted when I visited there a few years ago. Pleasantly sour Etna red - wild cherry, redcurrant, herbs all present and correct - with a lunchtime treat - tagliolini with butter and vacca rossa and that annual one-time extravagance - a generous coating of white truffle.
winesecretary
Fonseca 1980

Post by winesecretary »

L&W Burgundy EP tasting last night. Very interesting to run the rule across 60-odd wines in the course of one evening.

The critics are hailing it as a superb white wine vintage but with less even reds. The picture is as always even more heterogonous than that would suggest.

Some of the whites are indeed very fine - truly excellent village Puligny from J-M Boillot and village Chassagne from Fontaine-Gagnard. But the Puligny 1er Crus definitely under-impressed, and the Chablis shown was universally a bit short of charm.

Stars of the reds were Domaine Georges Mugneret-Gibourg's Vosne village, Domaine Comte Armand's Volnay 1er Cru Fremiets, and pretty much everything from Nuits St Georges, in red or white (the 1er Crus of Domaine d'Arlot were stunning). Apart from Grivot's 1er Cru Pruliers. Not a great year for Grivot.

This was followed by a burger and fries and some of a magnum of 2007 Bourgogne Rouge from the Marquis de MacMahon. Lovely soft truffly wine. Hurrah!
winesecretary
Fonseca 1980

Post by winesecretary »

Quinta do Mourao Riserva 2013 much the most successful of the table wines to date from a recent broad order of their stuff.

Note taken + 24 hrs

85 per cent opaque with garnet rim

Grapes are TN and TF and the port heritage shows. But the fruit is cool and clean and very enticing with strong blackcurrant and blackcurrant leaf notes on the palate.

Appealing note of leather on the finish - a nod to Rioja.

Opened yesterday to go with cheese but better today.
nac
Fonseca 1980

Post by nac »

Two bottles of white Rhone recently enjoyed, but definitely on the downward slopes of their journeys.

2006 Jaboulet "Chevalier de Sterimberg" - still has some classic white Rhone flavours, but now over mature. Drink now.

2007 Guigal "La Doriane" - clearly still a Condrieu but now lacking freshness and the fruit starting to dumb down. Drink soon.
winesecretary
Fonseca 1980

Post by winesecretary »

A Chateau Malartic LaGraviere 2017 Blanc consumed with scallops at a Hawksmoor Monday night £5 corkage event made me wonder why anyone chases the white burgundy fairy.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Phélan Ségur 2000
Phélan Ségur 2000
IMG_4774.jpeg (36.51 KiB) Viewed 1906 times

Once a week, it’s Friday night — so why not open something nice? It’s lovely, but needs lots of time in the decanter to unwind. It’s like a coiled spring at the moment…
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
nac
Fonseca 1980

Post by nac »

... and once a week it's also Saturday, so again an excuse for something I wouldn't usually have on a school night.

Grand Puy Ducasse 2001. Final bottle from a case of 12 purchased EP from Laithwaites many many years ago.

After a two hour decant, a healthy red colour with no obvious brown notes. Still has some primary black friut on the nose. Palate is more developed with some wood and leather. Plenty of tannin, but balanced with acidity and quite long.

Really quite good. Just slightly disappointed that this was my last bottle.

Not a great vintage or spectacular producer, but does show that if stored well, 2001 Bordeaux has a lot to offer.
winesecretary
Fonseca 1980

Post by winesecretary »

Two bottles of wine to celebrate my father’s life

1966 Lafite Rothschild

Impeccably stored bottle. Level into neck still and the cork came out clean. Wine still a rich red and looked 20 years younger than it was. Captivating nose of leather and red fruit and flowers. Perhaps the first time I have really experienced the ‘Lafite fragrance’. Astonishingly truffley complexity on the palate. It’s an old lady now, but it has such beautiful bones.

2002 Bonnes Mares Grand Cru, Domaine de la Vougeraie

Absolutely in its pomp - sweet fruit but with a lithe acidity that made every sip fresh.

And, because my father loved it so, a nightcap of Blandy’s 30 YO Bual.
nac
Fonseca 1980

Post by nac »

winesecretary wrote: 08:26 Mon 09 Oct 2023 Two bottles of wine to celebrate my father’s life

1966 Lafite Rothschild

2002 Bonnes Mares Grand Cru, Domaine de la Vougeraie
A splendid use of two very different bottles.

Good to hear that the Vougeraie was on form.