Port Pie with Stilton and chilli

Other alcoholic drinks, decadent smokes, and hearty eating
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Port Pie with Stilton and chilli

Post by jdaw1 »

Obviously, the idea of a Stilton & Chilli Jam Topped Melton Mowbray Pork Pie is heresy, even high heresy, despite it being a Leeson pork pie.

High heresy: burn her at the stake.

Except that, ahem — risking my being turned into a newt — it was stunningly delicious. Perhaps even better than a regular pork pie (if any such thing from Leeson can be described was regular). I was very impressed.
PopulusTremula
Warre’s Traditional LBV

Re: Port Pie with Stilton and chilli

Post by PopulusTremula »

Freudian, intentional, or none of the above: was this a slip or did you really have a "Port" Pie?
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

PopulusTremula wrote: 09:33 Tue 21 Mar 2023 Freudian, intentional, or none of the above: was this a slip or did you really have a "Port" Pie?
I was there. I can reassure you that it was not a "Port" Pie, it was an excellent Pork Pie adulterated with some sort of sludge in place of the usual delicious pastry topping. I remember declaring "Good God, NO!!!" when I heard Julian placing his order in the Leeson's Pork Pie Emporium in Oakham. I saw it happening and was powerless to stop it. I blame myself.

More than a month has past and I have not seen Julian since. One can only assume he has indeed turned into a newt and is currently in a damp hole beside a pond wondering where his tail went and what he did that was so hideously unacceptable to the Pork Pie Gods.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

DRT wrote: 21:24 Sun 09 Apr 2023I was there. I can reassure you that it was not a "Port" Pie, it was an excellent Pork Pie adulterated with some sort of sludge in place of the usual delicious pastry topping. I remember declaring "Good God, NO!!!" when I heard Julian placing his order in the Leeson's Pork Pie Emporium in Oakham. I saw it happening and was powerless to stop it. I blame myself.
You have to ask: what is the point of a PDO if it can lead to this? And I say that as a life-long vegetarian. I guess a sad consequence of Brexit is that the EU Commission can no longer sue the British government for £1T for allowing this to happen.