1955 Mackenzie

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
winesecretary
Fonseca 1980

1955 Mackenzie

Post by winesecretary »

18 hour decant.

Deeply pruney nose.
Beguiling mature dark fruits on the palate. Full and rich with just the right amount of supporting structural tannins to keep it interesting to the last drop.
This is wonderful port, now fully ready, and a joy to drink. I have one more, and I am very happy to have it.

Consumed 23/5/23
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Re: 1955 Mackenzie

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Oh how splendid. A good bottle of wonderful mature Port. How splendid to be in the right place at the right time to be invited to take a sip or two of such harmony.

Mackenzie 1955: wonderful warm red colour, mature brick red; 60% opaque. Sweet, honeyed and spiced fruit nose, slightly dusty. Sweet and spiced fruit on the palate, wonderful with layers of complexity with spice and dried fruit. Fabulous Christmas cake palate. Superb aftertaste with the complexity of all the variations of fruit found in Christmas cake, together with all the exotic spices. Great length finish. The balance and structure on the wine is superb. Fabulous wine. 95/100.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
nac
Fonseca 1980

Re: 1955 Mackenzie

Post by nac »

This is one of the bottles mentioned here and sold by Amphora.
All appear to be in excellent condition.

Also had pleasure of this bottle on 23/5/23, and whilst didn't take any proper notes, my memory aligns with comments above. Was really very nice.