1967 Croft Roeda

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
nac
Fonseca 1980

1967 Croft Roeda

Post by nac »

Opened 24th June 2024 at 2030.

Another bottle from a full OWC purchased in 2021.
No capsule, top shoulder, cork very slightly protruding, some signs of previous seepage.
Good quality cork, still in excellent condition and not quite fully saturated. Full & clear branding.

Opened, decanted, poured.

Brick dust red - no obvious browning, 40%? opaque. Given age/quality maybe expected this to be more faded.
Nose very muted. Possibly some rich fruitcake and a medicinal note - cloves?
Palate more giving - not much fruit, dried orange, peppery, quite dry and a little remaining tannin.
Alcohol is there on the finish, but less in-your-face than previous bottles.

Not great, but not bad.

Intending to drink this over the next 2-3 days and will update on its development.
nac
Fonseca 1980

Re: 1967 Croft Roeda

Post by nac »

25 June 2024 - 2200 - +25.5 hours

Moved into garden after two hours of dismal England v Slovenia borefest...

Bottle was VacUVined after sampling last night, so not expecting much development, and I'm correct....

Nose still muted with no obvious clues/notes.
Again, mouth more forward, but maybe tannin and alcohol less noticeable than yesterday.

Will finish this tomorrow evening, but will try to remember to pour it into the glass a couple of hours before drinking, as I think a bit of air will help it along.
nac
Fonseca 1980

Re: 1967 Croft Roeda

Post by nac »

30 June 2024, 2130, + 5 days

For reasons too tedious to bore you with, forgot this was open and only now getting around to the last glass...

Annoyingly, has had no more air, and I don't have time to leave it now....

...and it's pretty as it was before.

I think the learning from this is decant properly first, VacUVin leftovers, drink at your leisure over a week or so (or longer in the fridge).