Hydrocephalus - charity walk

Talk about anything but keep it polite and reasonably clean.
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Hydrocephalus - charity walk

Post by KillerB »

Back on the charity trail again. This time it's for a cause that has become a little closer to my heart. My nephew, Harrison, was diagnosed with Hydrocephalus when he was just two weeks old and had to have a Ventriculoperitoneal (VP) shunt fitted. He is now 6 months old but will have to deal with this for the rest of his life.

Hydrocephalus, also known as Water on the Brain, is a build of fluid in the cavities of the brain. It affects about 1 in 1000 births. Prior to the shunts, which disperse the fluid into the bloodstream, it had a high proportion of fatalities and those that survived often had physical and mental disabilities. Research still needs to go on and so I am getting involved in a walk for Support Hydrocephalus along with every other available member of his family and their friends and colleagues.

Harrison will probably live a fairly normal life but will may have to have surgery many times over in his lifetime as the shunts are not perfect and may fail. Please help by sponsoring me on this walk, which is ten miles around the canals near his home in Lancashire, this Saturday, 11th April.

In the UK, as it is a registered chairty you can add an extra 25% to your contribution by use of Gift Aid, which is a refund of the tax at 20%.

Those that are on Facebook can find the Support Hydrocephalus page here http://apps.facebook.com/causes/169551? ... d=33800986 and if you want to find out more about the condition there are many sites on the web that explain but a nice, concise one is the this one that I found on the BBC http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/conditions/ ... lus2.shtml .

Just PM me with your name, address (for Gift Aid) and contribution and I will come round and grab the funds from you in whatever way that I can.

Thank you for the support,

Alex
Port is basically a red drink
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: Hydrocephalus - charity walk

Post by DRT »

How was the walk?
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

DRT wrote:How was the walk?
Walk was great thanks Derek. I walked with my older nephews and nieces as they were nearer the front. It turned out to be more than 12 miles in the end, but the beer at the end was very much appreciated. The aforementioned nephews and nieces proceeded to get very very drunk and I left them at 6:30, which was already five hours of drinking and got a message at 3:11 that they were all still up at one of the houses, distinctly slaughtered. I would be there now if I didn't have Karate today.
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

Just so that you all believe me that this happened, here's the Lancashire Evening Telegraph report