2007 Cloudy Bay Sauvignon Blanc

Anything but Port, this includes all wines other than fortified wines (which have their own section) even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
Forum rules
Anything but Port, this includes all non-Port fortified wines even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

2007 Cloudy Bay Sauvignon Blanc

Post by KillerB »

As with all CB SB this is very pale. Nose is strongly citric with grapefruit being the most prominent. In the mouth this is complemented with passion fruit and a bit of pineapple.

I was hoping that this one would show the lychees and lime flavours of earlier vintages but this seems to be disappearing from the flavour profile, which is disappointing. If subsequent vintages go this way then I may have to consider whether it is worth the cost.

Still enjoyable and maybe needs to be had later in the Summer. It's not disjointed like on release so it may do nothiing better.
Port is basically a red drink
KillerB

Re: 2007 Cloudy Bay Sauvignon Blanc

Post by KillerB »

Had another bottle of this recently, which by general consensus is far too late. General Consensus, whoever he is, is a blithering idiot. Had with my friends who were previous CB addicts but had become disheartened by the drop in quality. All of us agreed that this was lovely with the tropical fruits of old popping out with gay abandon.

Highly recommended and well worth the extra two year wait.
Alex Bridgeman
Fonseca 1966

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I used to be a big fan of Cloudy Bay SB, but became disillusioned with them in the early noughties. A combination of price increases and what I felt was lower quality led me to abandon CB in favour of some South African producers - I love the Klein Constantia SB; and their 100% Semillion is stunning. Given the continuing hype in the media in support of CB, I assumed this was just my tastebuds changing. It's good to hear that I wasn't the only person who felt disenchanted.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

I became a fan of Klein Constantia when I went to South Africa, a genuinely excellent producer.

The price increase of Cloudy Bay worried me less than the drop in quality. I've recently bought four bottles to test this aging theory. Once upon a time I would buy a minimum of a case, one year (2002, I think) we got through two cases. I wouldn't do that any more.
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

I generally like Cloudy Bay but given that one bottle costs 1/4th of our monthly alcohol budget, I don't buy it here.