Cockburn 1851

A Ragbag of Good Port, Mon 19 Sept 2011

Post by jdaw1 »

A Ragbag of Good Port, Monday 19 September 2011, at the Steak Exchange. Links:
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: A Ragbag of Good Port, Mon 19 Sept 2011

Post by DRT »

A splendid evening with a selection of very good ports. Unfortunately, my late arrival seemed to cause me to catch-up rather quickly. This morning was not a particularly pleasant experience.

I will post TN's later.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
RAYC
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by RAYC »

An extremely enjoyable tasting, with some very pleasant drinking - though there were more fundamental differences of opinion regarding the ports (and ranking of them) than i can remember in recent times, leaving me in a slight state of glass paranoia by the end of the evening!

Of the 70s, i thought all were very enjoyable. The Croft was my favourite, though the Offley is very solid (and i really must get some) and the Martinez, after what i thought was a slightly mute start, came together very nicely throughout the tasting.

Of the 77s, the Warre was a very elegant port with some nice spiciness but i was perhaps left wanting a bit more punch. The Niepoort had looked worryingly thin, pale and watery on decant and had noticeable alcoholic heat so i was very pleased that it put on significant weight and colour and integrated nicely over the tasting. Still not a powerhouse though.

I struggled with the Croft '91, i must be honest, and was suprised at the favourable impression it left with others on the table (and, indeed, the favourable reports from the other side of the Atlantic). The Vesuvio 96 was pleasant enough, though i won't be rushing to buy when the price differential to the '94 is still not so great.

WOTN voting was split into two:

- a "best port for drinking tonight" category (with the usual 3-2-1 vote, judged solely according to the pleasure of drinking the port on the night)

- a "best port in its heyday" category (one choice per person only, and though there was some argument as to the exact criteria i think the intent was to provide a separate category that allowed consideration of ports too young to enjoy now (but with obvious quality) or, perhaps, ports that are slightly past it (but would have been great) as well as ones drinking well now).

Order of "best port for drinking tonight" was Niepoort '77 followed by Warre '77, though beyond that I can't remember the voting breakdown...

I think Croft '91 took the "best port in its heyday" category.
Rob C.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Perhaps the voting sheets could be scanned and sent to me?
RAYC
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by RAYC »

jdaw1 wrote:Perhaps the voting sheets could be scanned and sent to me?
They could, and will be, but unfortunately i will not have my hands back on them until Saturday.
Rob C.
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

Echoing Derek and Rob, it was certainly an excellent evening, with some superb port. I liked the differences of opinion as it generated some good discussions; especially when it came to the WOTN - where the first vote for "best drinking now" was ok, but the second vote for "WOTN - according to whatever criteria you want to use - possibly 'when at it's best' (which might not be yet)" was... interesting :)

Most notably in my mind was that it led to a debate on whether we should also vote on a "worst wine of the night" since some of us would clearly have selected the same wine for worst that several other people selected in the latter WOTN vote (even when not appearing in former). Specifcally, this was the Croft 91, which I found horrible for "drinking now" - I don't think anyone voted for it in fact; but three(?) selected as WOTN, while I think at least two would have also picked it as worst (but likely that would mean 'worst now').
WOTNT (Wine of the night, tonight) was the N77
WOTN (Wine of the night) was the Cr91 (which I don't believe got *any* WOTNT votes)
WWOTNT (Worst wine of the night, tonight) would probably have also been the Cr91 (this is probably contentious!)

Similarly I personally liked the Offley as the best of the 70s (the Martinez was very good, but spoiled by VA to my taste), while I think it was Derek's worst wine of the night. Great discussions :) Just for interest in regard to the other 70 (Croft), I remember noting that of all the ports present (which were a very fine selection), it struck me as being perfect for pairing with a soft blue cheese (which I like to do), so while it didn't make my top three "to drink now" from the evening's selection, I'll still buy some when I get the chance :)

Overall it really was a superb selection of ports. I felt the Warre 77 showed slightly weakly (being slightly lighter than normal) though still very good as was the N77, all the 70s were good (though shame the Mz70 had some VA), the V96 was amazingly bursting with flavour - I'll be keen to try this in another 5-10yr; the Morgan 91 was very good, but the Croft 91 tasted like a pile of slightly rotting cabbages... and for me was the only wine I didn't classify as very good or better (it may be great one day, but right now, not for me thx!).

Thoroughly enjoyed the evening, good food, superb port, excellent company and animated conversations :)
Last edited by PhilW on 15:37 Thu 22 Sep 2011, edited 1 time in total.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

You are all being less than industrious about posting proper TNs in the threads made to hold them (Mz70, O70, Cr70, V96, Ni77, W77, Cr91, Mg91). Please type and post.
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

jdaw1 wrote:You are all being less than industrious about posting proper TNs in the threads made to hold them (Mz70, O70, Cr70, V96, Ni77, W77, Cr91, Mg91). Please type and post.
Fair comment; I don't think my notes make great reading for others, but will post them later anyway. I personally prefer reading the summary review posts with comparisons etc which don't necessarily fit well within individual tasting notes, so please don't discourage them from being posted too :)
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Later, when considering a possible purchase, the TN threads can be very valuable. Please be encouraged to post therein.

I was not discouraging other posting.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:You are all being less than industrious about posting proper TNs in the threads made to hold them (Mz70, O70, Cr70, V96, Ni77, W77, Cr91, Mg91). Please type and post.
Private AHB, Private PhilW and Private DRT have now posted TNs, Sir!
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Stand easy.

(Though a quick check reveals that PhilW did not post about Mg91. That is not to happen again.)