Thu 17th January - The Dow Magnumonicon

Organise events to meet up and drink Port.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Re: Thu 17th January - The Dow Magnumonicon

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

RonnieRoots wrote:I now know that I won't be in London around this time, so please remove my name from the waiting list.
Done. But pity you can't make it.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
Cynthia J
Warre’s Warrior

Post by Cynthia J »

To be honest, I'm not busting a gut to get more vintages of Dow in magnum for this tasting. I'm happy with 6 vintages with consistent provenance but if something happens to turn up that's easy to buy and mature to drink then I'll add.

Otherwise it will be just the 6 magnums, which will keep down cost. We can always supplement this with a "bring a bottle" session for after dinner.
I agree - why muddy waters and palates, though concept of a reserve if needed is always prudent I suppose (and yes, I WAS in compliance and disaster recovery planning for Morgan Stanley and others for some years!). May I humbly suggest another modest Port-based diversion before or after the Main Event - namely, I left with Rob 2 blind bottles (750 ml each only sorry!) of some interesting ports I would like the gang to try to identify. As these are wines I would like to be on hand to present to the group, and I dont know when or if I will be back to London again after this visit... might this be an option? If not this time, no worries, I am sure they will keep just fine!!

Also, bear in mind I dont consume nearly the quantities you lot do, so you count count me as 1/2 or even 1/4 when planning liquid to body count ratios.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

AHB is the organiser, and not shy about asserting organiser’s privilege, so it is for him to rule. But this seems sensible to me.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Cynthia J wrote:May I humbly suggest another modest Port-based diversion before or after the Main Event - namely, I left with Rob 2 blind bottles (750 ml each only sorry!) of some interesting ports I would like the gang to try to identify. As these are wines I would like to be on hand to present to the group, and I dont know when or if I will be back to London again after this visit... might this be an option? If not this time, no worries, I am sure they will keep just fine!!
This sounds like a most excellent suggestion. We will organise things to have the Dow magnum tasting before dinner, then we can wash down dinner with the Dow(s) of our choice and then - when our palates are at their sharpest - we can attempt Cynthia's blind tasting challenge! Perfect.

Cynthia J
Warre’s Warrior

Post by Cynthia J »

Duly noted, thank you! Rob - are you out there? Please bring along those bottles to the tasting for me, will you? Thanks!!
Cynthia J
Warre’s Warrior

Post by Cynthia J »

It looks as if there might be one more space available? If so, my friend Nicola Thomson would like to come along - is that possible? Let me know. Thanks.
griff
Warre’s Traditional LBV

Post by griff »

I have just been informed that I need to be in Australia at this time which means I'll miss this :crying:
RAYC
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by RAYC »

January is looking pretty busy for me, so unfortunately i also need to withdraw. I will look for a replacement, and appreciate i will need to pay a share if one can't be found.
Cynthia J wrote:Duly noted, thank you! Rob - are you out there? Please bring along those bottles to the tasting for me, will you? Thanks!!
These are, of course, available for collection by someone from EC1/EC2 at any point prior to the tasting. Or i can stand/decant and hand over to someone who collects on the day. Or i can send to someone.
Rob C.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

RAYC wrote:January is looking pretty busy for me, so unfortunately i also need to withdraw. I will look for a replacement, and appreciate i will need to pay a share if one can't be found.
Cynthia J wrote:Duly noted, thank you! Rob - are you out there? Please bring along those bottles to the tasting for me, will you? Thanks!!
These are, of course, available for collection by someone from EC1/EC2 at any point prior to the tasting. Or i can stand/decant and hand over to someone who collects on the day. Or i can send to someone.
We'll sort something out nearer the time.

Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I have finally been invoiced for the Dow magnums that we will be tasting next Thursday week.

As result, I will be emailing all the people who have said they want to attend to ask them for money. The cost of the evening will be £100 per person for port plus a share of the cost of the food we consume - which usually works out around £40 per person, including tip and corkage.

Cynthia - Nicola is welcome to attend; please warn her that I will be asking for money shortly.

Rob - you are welcome to attend at the last minute if work commitments permit assuming that we are less than 12

All - we still have 2-3 spare places so if anyone wishes to bring a guest (who will be expected to contribute their share of the cost of food and port), please feel free to make such a request.

Cynthia J
Warre’s Warrior

Post by Cynthia J »

Rob, Alex - these can, I think (crossed fingers) be handled on a pop and pour basis, no need to worry about decanting early in the day (and I will trust all of you to render your candid opinions of that approach when you taste them!) Worst case, we hang out, let them breathe, and try again over breakfast ... Thanks!!
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Please could the first post be updated to mention where this tasting is to be held.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

jdaw1 wrote:Please could the first post be updated to mention where this tasting is to be held.
Updated as requested.

RAYC
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by RAYC »

AHB wrote: Rob - you are welcome to attend at the last minute if work commitments permit assuming that we are less than 12
Thanks - presumably the tasting could not grow to 12 unless one of the new attendees were to reimburse my sunk costs (or an agreed proportion of them)?

In any event, unfortunately it is looking unlikely due to other commitments that week.
Rob C.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

For placemats purposes, please could I be given guidance on what is happening post-food. Are we bring more magnums? Will they be blind, or as mine already has been revealed?
Cynthia J
Warre’s Warrior

Post by Cynthia J »

Hi Julian, You will have Cynthia blind #1 and Cynthia blind #2, or however you want to name them! Not magnums, alas...
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

jdaw1 wrote:For placemats purposes, please could I be given guidance on what is happening post-food. Are we bring more magnums? Will they be blind, or as mine already has been revealed?
To help Julian prepare the tasting mats for the second half of the evening, would anyone who is intending to bring an extra bottle please say so. Please also state whether you intend to say what you will bring, or not.

AHB - 1 bottle, blind

jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Updated draft of the placemats.
  • +What is known of post-dinner refreshments.
I could bring a guest, but am already sharing my magnum of W85 with ADV. Please advise.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

jdaw1 wrote:Updated draft of the placemats.
  • +What is known of post-dinner refreshments.
Could we remove CRS from the attendees and replace her with Nicola Thomson. Please can we add TF (who is CMAG's guest) to the attendees. TF has been with us before so his handedness should be known to the placemat software.
jdaw1 wrote:I could bring a guest, but am already sharing my magnum of W85 with ADV. Please advise.
By all means bring a (paying) guest, we have one or possibly two spare seats at the table (depending on RAYC's work commitments). I intend to bring an extra bottle of port to be drunk after dinner by those who would like to stay, but it could be that most are happy to consume their share of 1/12th of each of the 6 Dow magnums, eat dinner and then head home. Those who stay after dinner will be invited to share a glass of the extra bottle that I bring, the two bottles that Cynthia is challenging us with and anything that others bring to share. Your guest is welcome to attend whether or not they bring an extra bottle for after dinner.

jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

• AHB wrote:Could we remove CRS from the attendees and replace her with Nicola Thomson. Please can we add TF (who is CMAG's guest) to the attendees. TF has been with us before so his handedness should be known to the placemat software.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

jdaw1 wrote:Updated draft of the placemats.
Now printed

jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

The post-prandial magnum of Warre 1985 was decanted at 7am this morning. All seems well.