shipping info / release dates?

Anything to do with Port.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

Hello

It occurred to me that it would be useful to know when vintages are shipping to dealers in the UK, and to know in advance when planned releases are taking place.. Is this information collated in any one place, at least for the bigger growers / shippers? Or might the experts gathered together at :tpf: be able to put their collective wits to the public good? :wink:

DJ
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: shipping info / release dates?

Post by g-man »

The vintages are declared on st georges day and are typically shipped out to the various uk retailers a few months afterwards.

Is that what you were looking for?
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

Yes in part.. Thanks. Is there any calendar of shipments after the 23rd Apr or is it just a case of keeping an ear to the ground?
Daniel J.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

djewesbury wrote:Yes in part.. Thanks. Is there any calendar of shipments after the 23rd Apr or is it just a case of keeping an ear to the ground?
i'd ask what you are trying to do, or looking to gain by knowing the exact date of the shipment.

Usually when BBR gets it, everyone follows suit.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

g-man wrote:i'd ask what you are trying to do, or looking to gain by knowing the exact date of the shipment.
Just trying to buy port! But I'm intrigued that now this has got a sort of 'need to know basis' ring about it.. it makes it more exciting and mysterious!
Being out of London I sometimes find it hard to know when something comes in or is available and I suppose would worry about, as it were, missing the boat.
Daniel J.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

djewesbury wrote:
g-man wrote:i'd ask what you are trying to do, or looking to gain by knowing the exact date of the shipment.
Just trying to buy port! But I'm intrigued that now this has got a sort of 'need to know basis' ring about it.. it makes it more exciting and mysterious!
Being out of London I sometimes find it hard to know when something comes in or is available and I suppose would worry about, as it were, missing the boat.
well more like, the shipper/distributors and when the retailer is ready to market the product determines the date and it's like random.

The only set date is the declaration on st george's day.

Us stateside basically have to wait till someone fills a boat container before the product arrives on our shores. In between it takes 3-5 weeks for a boat to come in another week on the docks for inspection and customs and releasing product, another few days to deliver to appropriate warehouse, then another week to ship it to retailer before I even get wind that something is for offer.

Guess the best answer is, it gets here when it gets here.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

A far as I am aware there is only one Port producer who declares on St George's Day. That producer owns three leading brands and some lesser brands of VP and was responsible for creating this ancient tradition in the late 20th century.

Producers will start to declare their vintages in the next few weeks and can do so at any time between then and twelve months from now.

The best way to get information on what is coming into the UK market is to subscribe to as many leading wine merchant's email lists as you can find and let them know you are interested in Port.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

DRT wrote:A far as I am aware there is only one Port producer who declares on St George's Day. That producer owns three leading brands and some lesser brands of VP and was responsible for creating this ancient tradition in the late 20th century.

Allow me to help clarify for those who don't know who this is. The Fladgate Partnership (Taylor's, Fonseca, Croft, etc)
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

DRT wrote:The best way to get information on what is coming into the UK market is to subscribe to as many leading wine merchant's email lists as you can find and let them know you are interested in Port.
A thought: would it be helpful to have a thread containing links to and recommendations of good wine merchants? I think it would be bad to let it turn into a negative topic of bashing those who people don't like, but a list of helpful and reliable merchants might be useful.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
richmills
Warre’s Warrior

Post by richmills »

DRT wrote:A thought: would it be helpful to have a thread containing links to and recommendations of good wine merchants? I think it would be bad to let it turn into a negative topic of bashing those who people don't like, but a list of helpful and reliable merchants might be useful.
I'd find such a list of recommendations very helpful.

Cheers, Rich.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

richmills wrote:
DRT wrote:A thought: would it be helpful to have a thread containing links to and recommendations of good wine merchants? I think it would be bad to let it turn into a negative topic of bashing those who people don't like, but a list of helpful and reliable merchants might be useful.
I'd find such a list of recommendations very helpful.

Cheers, Rich.
Me too
Daniel J.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Between late March and mid-summer most port shippers will announce whether or not they intend to declare a vintage (or single quinta vintage) port. If you keep an eye on the main port shippers' websites they usually post the news on there of a declaration - but some seem to overlook doing so!

Then early summer through to early autumn the UK wine merchants will issue their pre-shipment offers for the new vintage. To make sure you get these it's worth subscribing to newsletters from people such as Fine & Rare Wines, Berry Brothers, Justerini & Brooks, Farr Vintners, Corney & Barrow, Seckfords etc.

Port from the vintage announced in the spring will start to arrive in the UK late in the year or early the following year. There is no set shipping date like there is for Beaujoulais Nouveau - it depends on whether or not there is a container's worth of orders, the weather, stock systems and loads of other things. Harrods is often one of the first places in the UK to be able to purchase individual bottles, usually getting stock in before Christmas (Harrods is often where I buy my bottle of the new vintage of Vesuvio to open on Christmas Day.)
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

Stateside, the ones that seem to actively hunt out the new port releases would be

The Chicago Wine Company (They took over a year for them to deliver me the warres 2009 after it was in the UK market for a full year and a half)
Zachy's in NY ( They are a bit faster but it typically still is 3 months after UK releases)

(I don't know any of the west coast stores so perhaps Andy can fill this in)

A majority of retailers stateside update their inventory when the importers/distributors Premium Port wines (Symington family estates) and Kobrand (Taylor Fladgate) get around with their sales force and get people to stock.