Wimbledon Doty: 1966 Horitzontal - Bunghole, June 27th - 7pm

Organise events to meet up and drink Port.
RAYC
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Re: Wimbledon Doty: 1966 Horitzontal - Bunghole, June 27th -

Post by RAYC »

I have spoken to the Bunghole. Unfortunately they have a function for 50-70 people in the main room, which means we will be required to eat in the private room alongside our ports.

As far as i am aware based on latest posts and PMs, we have 11 current attendees:

CSD
AHB
jdaw1
DRT
RAYC
PhilW
djewesbury
WS1
JohninNYC
THRA
benread

This seems like a tight squeeze, but not completely unmanageable.

Bunghole are also sending the menu which i will post when received: pre-ordering of main-courses would be appreciated by them.
Last edited by RAYC on 17:16 Fri 21 Jun 2013, edited 1 time in total.
Rob C.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

No starter it’s my diet day. Steak burger (rare) and chips, please.

Edit:
Davy's Bar and Grill (a.k.a. The Bunghole) wrote:- Handmade steak burger made from 100% steak aged for a minimum of 21 days, served with fries and relish.
Rare please.
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

jdaw1 wrote:No starter it’s my diet day.
:shock: Is this an annual event?
RAYC

Post by RAYC »

RAYC wrote:Bunghole are also sending the menu which i will post when received: pre-ordering of main-courses would be appreciated by them.
Davy's Bar and Grill (a.k.a. The Bunghole) wrote:From the Grill:
Traditionally-matured, grass-fed beef. All served with fries and a grilled tomato. All our beef is sourced and hand selected from cattle that are naturally reared on traditional farms. Our beef is then matured for a minimum of 21 days to ensure maximum tenderness and flavour.
- Sirloin steak 220g £22.75
- Bone-in rib 350g £25.50
- Chateaubriand exquisitely tender fillet head to share. 500g £59.95 serves two
- Fillet steak the classic lean steak, a milder flavour with a succulent tenderness all of its own. Aged for 21 days. 220g £24.75
- Béarnaise or peppercorn sauce £1.95
- Handmade steak burger made from 100% steak aged for a minimum of 21 days, served with fries and relish.
Tell us how you would like it cooked.

Other mains:
- Fish cakes with creamed spinach £12.50
- Bangers and mash, Cumberland sausages served with traditional mashed potatoes and onion gravy £10.95
- Calves liver and bacon with mustard onions and mash £15.25
- Megrim sole with chicory, leeks and cockles £13.50
- Aubergine and red lentil moussaka with feta, artichoke and basil vinaigrette £13.95
- Spiced crab linguine £10.75
Answers by email (not PM) or in thread please.
Rob C.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

Bone in rib with béarnaise and fries please. Blue.
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Today Chris has his monthly tasting, so is unlikely to reply until tomorrow.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Updated draft of the placemats.
  • +Dow, courtesy of PW & RAYC.
Image   Image
benread
Niepoort 1977

Post by benread »

RAYC wrote:benread - t.b.c.

Bunghole are also sending the menu which i will post when received: pre-ordering of main-courses would be appreciated by them.
Rob,

Consider me more 'c' than 'tbc'. I have sent you an email via TPF.

Ben
Ben
-------
Vintage 1970 and now proud owner of my first ever 'half-century'!
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

On whose good printer should the placemats be printed? There is no complex clipping, so printing should be swift.
JohninNYC
Fonseca LBV

Post by JohninNYC »

- Bone-in rib 350g please. No Bearnaise sauce.
Thanks.
John in NYC

"Burgundy makes you think of silly things: Bordeaux makes you talk about them, and Champagne makes you do them."-Brillat-Savarin
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Sirloin, medium rare with bearnaise sauce please
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Bone-in-rib (medium rare) with fries please.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
RAYC

Post by RAYC »

Ni66 arrived today - nice looking bottle (bottling date is 69: 3yr post-harvest) - so time for a decision.

Probably best way to determine is for those who want to open it to state the minimum number of other people that they'd consider sharing the cost with (EUR245 for bottle + EUR 35 express shipping). Can happily be saved for another tasting if there is insufficient desire to open next week.

Last edited by RAYC on 14:38 Fri 21 Jun 2013, edited 2 times in total.
Rob C.
RAYC

Post by RAYC »

benread wrote: Consider me more 'c' than 'tbc'. I have sent you an email via TPF.
Doty is organising - i was just doing a round up!

No message received so far.
Rob C.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

RAYC wrote:Ni66 arrived today - nice looking bottle (bottling date is 69: 3yr post-harvest) - so time for a decision.

Probably best way to determine is for those who want to open it to state the minimum number of other people that they'd consider sharing the cost with (EUR245 for bottle + EUR 35 express shipping).
I'm in. I'd hope that everyone would want to contribute to such a worthy endeavour... Split that way the cost is very fair. If only some choose to chip in but everyone drinks it seems a bit unfair; likewise we could hardly limit it to those who'd paid.
Rise to the occasion, :tpf:
Daniel J.
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

djewesbury wrote:
RAYC wrote:Ni66 arrived today - nice looking bottle (bottling date is 69: 3yr post-harvest) - so time for a decision.

Probably best way to determine is for those who want to open it to state the minimum number of other people that they'd consider sharing the cost with (EUR245 for bottle + EUR 35 express shipping).
I'm in. I'd hope that everyone would want to contribute to such a worthy endeavour... Split that way the cost is very fair. If only some choose to chip in but everyone drinks it seems a bit unfair; likewise we could hardly limit it to those who'd paid.
Rise to the occasion, :tpf:
I commend Rob for the purchase, but agree with Rob's previously raised concern of opening a "rare" bottle which has just potentially been through a lot due to travel and consequent likely temperature variations, and wonder if it might be able to show better if saved for a future occasion when it has had time to recover. Others with more experience may be better placed to comment on the validity or otherwise of this effect.

If we (Rob) decide to include this next week then as stated previously along with others I would be happy to contribute, whether as a "group bottle" or as costs split amongst those who offer, whoever is drinking.
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

RAYC wrote:Ni66 arrived today - nice looking bottle (bottling date is 69: 3yr post-harvest)
Very interesting to me for birth year reasons; I've recommended a few friends to choose their "birth year" bottles based on bottling date rather than harvest where it improves the options. For 69 we seem to be limited to TV69 and D69colheita so to be able to add a (hopefully very) good 66 bottled in 69 to that list is excellent, if I can now ever find any more of it, of course! (but at least I know to watch out for it).
RAYC

Post by RAYC »

PhilW wrote:and consequent likely temperature variations
I'd hope this was minimised. It was packed in polystyrene, and, since i was worried about the humid weather, collection was arranged to be late in the afternoon (4.30-5ish) yesterday and it was delivered to me by 10ish this morning. But it clearly will have been shaken up some during transport...
Rob C.
RAYC

Post by RAYC »

jdaw1 wrote:On whose good printer should the placemats be printed? There is no complex clipping, so printing should be swift.
I can print if needed
Rob C.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

PhilW wrote:
RAYC wrote:Ni66 arrived today - nice looking bottle (bottling date is 69: 3yr post-harvest)
Very interesting to me for birth year reasons; I've recommended a few friends to choose their "birth year" bottles based on bottling date rather than harvest where it improves the options. For 69 we seem to be limited to TV69 and D69colheita so to be able to add a (hopefully very) good 66 bottled in 69 to that list is excellent, if I can now ever find any more of it, of course! (but at least I know to watch out for it).
72 (me) is even worse.. Definitely better to go for the 70s there.
Daniel J.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

RAYC wrote:Probably best way to determine is for those who want to open it to state the minimum number of other people that they'd consider sharing the cost with (EUR245 for bottle + EUR 35 express shipping).
I think this should be all or nothing for the reasons that Phil has stated above. Unless everyone is happy to contribute I suggest it is left for another occasion. I'm in if everyone else is.
Ernest H. Cockburn
RAYC

Post by RAYC »

PhilW wrote:
There's a rather nice G69 colheita...plus the Prince of Wales "investiture port" is pretty good if you ever come across that.

If you were born in Oct/Nov/Dec, you can always argue that you were part of the annual grapevine cycle that contributed the 1970 vintage....
Rob C.
RAYC

Post by RAYC »

nb - this organisation thread must now be a contender for worst post-to-bottle ratio on the site [well, for a London tasting at least...! :wink: ]
Rob C.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

RAYC wrote:nb - this organisation thread must now be a contender for worst post-to-bottle ratio on the site [well, for a London tasting at least...! :wink: ]
Not even close!

This thread has five pages so far. Looking back in this section of the forum we have three threads with seven pages, two with nine pages, two with ten pages and one with twelve pages. All are UK tastings.

Our American cousins have fewer threads, but I suspect have a higher average page count.
Ernest H. Cockburn
RAYC

Post by RAYC »

DRT wrote:
RAYC wrote:nb - this organisation thread must now be a contender for worst post-to-bottle ratio on the site [well, for a London tasting at least...! :wink: ]
Not even close!

This thread has five pages so far. Looking back in this section of the forum we have three threads with seven pages, two with nine pages, two with ten pages and one with twelve pages. All are UK tastings.
Page count - yes. Page-to-bottle ratio? Not so sure! The Malvedos tasting had 10 pages but resulted in 28 bottles. The Cockburn tasting had 9 pages but resulted in 25 bottles (2.77 bottles per page). TPF offline 2 - you are correct - had 12 pages for a miserly 11 bottles and some t-shirts, but that's the only one that really jumps out at me!
Rob C.