Adams Vintage Port

Anything to do with Port.
CaliforniaBrad
Quinta do Noval LBV

Adams Vintage Port

Post by CaliforniaBrad »

Hi all, figured I'd ask everyone here for some info about a VP from an old UK brand. I've only been able to glean a bit of info from the fortheloveofport forum, so I was curious if anyone could offer more info here.

I'm curious for any and all info about Adams VP. I own a '55, and I've seen people post about a '63 as well. I know it's a buyers own brand, but there seemed to be some debate about who produced it. Does anyone know any other info about the bottling or about the buyer/store?

Thanks in advance!
Brad
CaliforniaBrad
Quinta do Noval LBV

Adams Vintage Port

Post by CaliforniaBrad »

And after poking around on the TPF site (which I should have done first, apologies!) I see that they also have '66 and '67 editions, and the '60s era ones seem to all be Royal Oporto/Cavalhas produced. Still would love any and all info about the '55 specifically and Adams in general though. Thanks!
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: Adams Vintage Port

Post by jdaw1 »

Moved by jdaw1 from Reference to Port Conversations.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Adam’s was an importer, sometimes selling under their own name. Just like as a modern supermarket might have its own-brand champagne, or California Cab, or whatever. IIRC, which I might not be doing, the ’55 was a blend of multiple shippers’ ports. (Taylor? And something else? Forgotten.)
CaliforniaBrad
Quinta do Noval LBV

Adams Vintage Port

Post by CaliforniaBrad »

Thanks for the move, jdaw, wasn't sure where this should go. So Adams was an importer, not a retailer themselves? Guessing they're not still in business at this point. And is it possible it's Taylor's and Sandeman? I saw Sandeman mentioned as an occasional supplier as well.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

They imported, in shipper’s pipe. They bottled. They sold to retail, in quantities large and small, and probably supplied wine merchants elsewhere.
CaliforniaBrad
Quinta do Noval LBV

Adams Vintage Port

Post by CaliforniaBrad »

Thanks for the info, much appreciated!
Alex Bridgeman
Fonseca 1966

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

As far as I know, Adams wine merchants are no longer in business and I've seen nothing sold under their own label brand since the 1970 vintage.

As a wine merchant, they seemed to choose what to buy and bottle each vintage presumably based on a quality / price perception.

The Adams 1963 vintage port came with corks branded Carvalhas 1963. The Adams 1955 vintage port that we drank a couple of years ago did not have branded corks so we have no idea what it was. I'm pretty sure that the Adams ports were single shipper ports and not blends - I think the blended ports were Avery's ports. They used to make their own blends from several of the leading shippers wines and then bottle them under the label "Avery Sepcial Reserve". Unsubstantiated rumour has it that the 1963 Avery Special Reserve is a blend of the Taylor and the Sandeman wines.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

AHB wrote:I'm pretty sure that the Adams ports were single shipper ports and not blends - I think the blended ports were Avery's ports. They used to make their own blends from several of the leading shippers wines and then bottle them under the label "Avery Sepcial Reserve". Unsubstantiated rumour has it that the 1963 Avery Special Reserve is a blend of the Taylor and the Sandeman wines.
Then I mis-remembered.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

CaliBrad, where abouts in cali?

i visit san fran once a year to swing up to napa, can start up a tpf west coast offline one of these days.
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz
CaliforniaBrad
Quinta do Noval LBV

Adams Vintage Port

Post by CaliforniaBrad »

g-man wrote:CaliBrad, where abouts in cali?

i visit san fran once a year to swing up to napa, can start up a tpf west coast offline one of these days.
I live about 5 hours north of SF, in the redwoods. I make it down to the Bay Area about once a month though, so I'd love to be part of an offline. At the very least, I would be happy to gather some folks and organize something informal next time you're in town. And Quevedo is a great bunch of people to be involved with, I'm told. They're wines are great.