The Taylor 1985 Debate

Anything to do with Port.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

The Taylor 1985 Debate

Post by Glenn E. »

This thread was split off from this tasting note by Admin DRT.
DRT wrote:It also seems to be going through a bit of a dumb phase, much like its sibling from Taylor did for the past decade or so. The Taylor has definitely pulled its socks up recently so hopefully the F85 will return to its previous form in due course.
Even so, Taylor with socks pulled up < Fonseca in dumb phase.

I've heard tales of these fantastic bottles of T85 coming from over the pond, but I have yet to encounter one myself. :crying:
Glenn Elliott
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: 1985 Fonseca

Post by DRT »

Glenn E. wrote:Even so, Taylor with socks pulled up < Fonseca in dumb phase.
How can you be sure if…
Glenn E. wrote:I've heard tales of these fantastic bottles of T85 coming from over the pond, but I have yet to encounter one myself. :crying:
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

DRT wrote:
Glenn E. wrote:Even so, Taylor with socks pulled up < Fonseca in dumb phase.
How can you be sure if…
Glenn E. wrote:I've heard tales of these fantastic bottles of T85 coming from over the pond, but I have yet to encounter one myself. :crying:
I've heard tales of unicorns, too, but don't expect to get to ride one any time soon. :wink:
Glenn Elliott
LGTrotter
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by LGTrotter »

DRT wrote:It also seems to be going through a bit of a dumb phase, much like its sibling from Taylor did for the past decade or so. The Taylor has definitely pulled its socks up recently so hopefully the F85 will return to its previous form in due course.
Seriously Derek, is the Taylor getting better? Having had it some years ago it seemed but a distant speck on the horizon compared to the racing duo of Graham and Fonseca. It can still be found quite reasonably so I might look out for half a dozen if you give it the nod.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

It has shown much better than it used to at a few recent tastings. I checked the TNs here yesterday. AHB consistently rates it in the 88/89 range with three bottles achieving 91/92. That isn't bad Port.

The Fonseca is undoubtedly better, but has gone weird. As for Graham, it is lovely but I have heard questions raised about its longevity and it doesn't score as highly as Fonseca at its best.

AHB and JDAW (and others, I think) have commented on the recent improvement in T85. It's not just me! (and it certainly isn't a unicorn, but don't tell the Yanks or they will buy it all and drive up the price).
Ernest H. Cockburn
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

DRT wrote:It has shown much better than it used to at a few recent tastings. I checked the TNs here yesterday. AHB consistently rates it in the 88/89 range with three bottles achieving 91/92. That isn't bad Port.

The Fonseca is undoubtedly better, but has gone weird. As for Graham, it is lovely but I have heard questions raised about its longevity and it doesn't score as highly as Fonseca at its best.

AHB and JDAW (and others, I think) have commented on the recent improvement in T85. It's not just me! (and it certainly isn't a unicorn, but don't tell the Yanks or they will buy it all and drive up the price).
"Isn't bad Port" doesn't warrant a comparison to either F85 or G85, and that's what I've been seeing from the Brit side of the pond. I'm perfectly willing to believe that the newt that was T85 has got better, but I cannot see how it is comparable to F85 or G85 even if those are both experiencing down phases.

Yes, technically, there are questions about G85's longevity. It might peak at 40 years instead of 50. :roll: But it does score as high as F85 at their best, at least for some people. I'm one of them, and it has happened blind at least 3 times. One of those times I even thought I'd already identified G85 and scored it lower than F85 (which was easily identifiable), but I was wrong and my WOTN was in fact G85. T85 has never even been close.

For clarity, I like G85 better for drinking right now but I think F85 has a longer life ahead of it. And that's not just because I'll likely drink all of my G85 before both are fully mature.
Glenn Elliott
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

Glenn E. wrote: the newt that was T85
A cleanly struck ball, six or home run or whatever.

I think I have to take the side of the Americans on this one, if Glenn is representative of them.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

DRT wrote:AHB and JDAW (and others, I think) have commented on the recent improvement in T85. It's not just me! (and it certainly isn't a unicorn, but don't tell the Yanks or they will buy it all and drive up the price).
T85 was excellent a dozen years ago, but then closed. It became mediocre. But recently T85 has blossomed into an excellent Port, much better than F85 as it currently is. I suspect that when F85 reopens, it will be even better than T85 is now, but that praises the Fonseca rather than criticises the Taylor.
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

jdaw1 wrote: But recently T85 has blossomed into an excellent Port, much better than F85 as it currently is.
Really, better than Fonseca? This feels like it is beginning to stretch credulity, the last Fonseca 85 I had seemed fine. I shall have to look out for a few of the Taylor.
CaliforniaBrad
Quinta do Noval LBV

1985 Fonseca

Post by CaliforniaBrad »

LGTrotter wrote:
jdaw1 wrote: But recently T85 has blossomed into an excellent Port, much better than F85 as it currently is.
Really, better than Fonseca? This feels like it is beginning to stretch credulity, the last Fonseca 85 I had seemed fine. I shall have to look out for a few of the Taylor.
Well, this is encouraging me to open a bottle of T85 (in the name of science, of course) this week.

Suggested minimum decant?
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Owen & Glenn, you are of course correct. T85 is rubbish and not worthy of your ££. Let's leave it there.

JDAW (and others), let's buy it all up an laugh at those who thought the world was flat.
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

CaliforniaBrad wrote:
LGTrotter wrote:
Well, this is encouraging me to open a bottle of T85 (in the name of science, of course) this week.

2 hours. But anything upwards will suffice. This isn't port that falls apart in a decanter.
Ernest H. Cockburn
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

It sounds to me like you would suggest a purchase of 6 of each to compare over the next few years.
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

DRT wrote:Owen & Glenn, you are of course correct. T85 is rubbish and not worthy of your ££. Let's leave it there.

JDAW (and others), let's buy it all up an laugh at those who thought the world was flat.
Sorry, I made an unforgivable omission in my previous post.

Let's but it ("it" being a 29 year old excellent VP that can be bought at the same price as current release unproven Taylor, Graham, Noval, or whatever) and laugh at those who thought the world was flat.
Ernest H. Cockburn
CaliforniaBrad
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by CaliforniaBrad »

CaliforniaBrad wrote:
LGTrotter wrote:

Decanted: 3 Hours

Nose: Corked as a Quercus suber

Conclusions: That's inconvenient. I'm still thirsty. I'm still of the belief that I'd rather have a corked T85 than an F85 if one had to come out of my cellar flawed.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

That was both unlucky and unhelpful.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

DRT wrote:Owen & Glenn, you are of course correct. T85 is rubbish and not worthy of your ££. Let's leave it there.
I haven't said it is rubbish at all. I've said comparisons to F85 and G85 are unwarranted.

Dunno what you guys have done to your F85 over there. Ours over here is still fabulous. As is G85.

T85 was a newt of a Port. (Mind you, I like newts. They're cute. Nothing wrong with newts, aside from being poisonous and all.) If it's coming out of that funk, hurrah! But it was (for me) a 90-91 point Port before and I find it hard to believe that it can now possibly be 94-96 points to warrant comparison with F85 and G85.
CaliforniaBrad wrote: Nose: Corked as a Quercus suber
See? More proof. Poisonous. It's a newt.
Glenn Elliott
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

1985 Fonseca

Post by djewesbury »

I must say I've never noticed my F85s being closed. Sorry. I think this is just groupthink. (I guess you wouldn't know what that is Glenn, working at Microsoft and all) :)
Daniel J.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

F85 was a big delicious opaque unready monster. Until about two years ago, when multiple bottles from multiple sources became closed and unbalanced. It will reopen, emerging as even better. But not now.
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

jdaw1 wrote:F85 was a big delicious opaque unready monster. Until about two years ago, when multiple bottles from multiple sources became closed and unbalanced. It will reopen, emerging as even better. But not now.
Whilst accepting that all opines are equal I would have to 'go Glenn' here again. 'Unready monster' abso-bleeding-lutely, 'unbalanced' only in the sense that a cavalry charge looks unbalanced from the pointy end. 'Closed' not for me, I would have to be physically restrained from guzzling it.

A bit of tmesis going on there.
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

Glenn E. wrote:(Mind you, I like newts. They're cute. Nothing wrong with newts, aside from being poisonous and all.).
Newts have never poisoned me and I have handling them regularly since early boyhood. I couldn't vouch for their eating qualities mind. I too am a bit of a newt fancier. Do they really call them 'guppies' in America?
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

That was a-bleeding-mazing tmesis there Owen. Nice work. 15 points.
Daniel J.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

LGTrotter wrote:
Glenn E. wrote:(Mind you, I like newts. They're cute. Nothing wrong with newts, aside from being poisonous and all.).
Newts have never poisoned me and I have handling them regularly since early boyhood. I couldn't vouch for their eating qualities mind. I too am a bit of a newt fancier. Do they really call them 'guppies' in America?
I've never heard them called guppies. Salamander (technically accurate as newts belong to Family Salamandridae)... maybe occasionally gecko... but guppy doesn't ring a bell. Where I grew up a "guppy" was a little fish.

Not all newts are poisonous, and even the ones that are generally aren't dangerous to humans unless you ingest the poison or it comes into contact with a mucous membrane. Translation: don't lick newts or stick them up your nose.

Are we far enough off topic yet?
Glenn Elliott
CaliforniaBrad
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by CaliforniaBrad »

Glenn E. wrote:
LGTrotter wrote:
I've never heard them called guppies. Salamander (technically accurate as newts belong to Family Salamandridae)... maybe occasionally gecko... but guppy doesn't ring a bell. Where I grew up a "guppy" was a little fish.

Not all newts are poisonous, and even the ones that are generally aren't dangerous to humans unless you ingest the poison or it comes into contact with a mucous membrane. Translation: don't lick newts or stick them up your nose.

Are we far enough off topic yet?
Nope. This thread has me curious enough to lick a newt tonight (in the name of science, of course!). Suggested minimum terrarium time before first lick?
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

CaliforniaBrad wrote:This thread has me curious enough to lick a newt tonight (in the name of science, of course!). Suggested minimum terrarium time before first lick?
Just pop and pour I think.